2018: Thoughts on Anti-Virus and Anti-malware (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, May 14, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Interesting discussion so far. My Windows machine is Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, version 1709. I am not connected to a Microsoft account (no need since my requirement for all key software is that they run on Windows, Linux and Android-- therefore, no MS Office). I do run as admin and have probably since win95. Back then, at least, there were just too many annoyances if you didn't. I've always thought that Windows version of an admin account really isn't quite the same as root on a Linux machine, more like setting generous permissions in a Linux user account, but I'm certainly no expert. So far, I have had good luck with windows in that nothing bad has ever happened. Doesn't mean it won't. That's what "lucky" means. ;-) Maybe not completely luck. I do pay attention to things.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Hey Rick,

So here's a pretty good description of the differences between a Microsoft and a local account. https://www.digitalcitizen.life/should-you-use-local-or-microsoft-account-windows-10

While I maintain a legion of systems, the last thing I want is for that experience to replicate from one system to the next. While Microsoft accounts pose this as a great thing, they also come with a disadvantage. If you somehow obtain a bad actor on one system, and you are using a Microsoft account, it potentially has a much easier time propagating to any other system you utilize that account on due to the sync that is built in.

I personally think the Windows apps are complete crap. Utilizing a local account, and thus preventing my use of paid apps on W10. You have no idea what version is installed, you have no control over when they get updated, you get no notice of privacy policy updates, you auto accept their built in snooping. No thank you...

Let me know if you have more questions.

3. headcronie

As far as running with an Admin account vs a user account:

Say you're browsing a website that manages to compromise your browser, and it runs some executable code you may or may not be aware of. 2 scenarios can unfold -

As admin, this malicious code is now running in the admin account, and it now has the potential to infect your entire system, as an admin account has write access everywhere. In essence, it's the 'root' user of windows.

As user, this malicious code is limited to the areas a limited user can write. Namely that users profile, and any other folders that you may have setup for this user. The user does not have access to write to the operating system, or common software folders. In large part, the infection is limited to just this user, and the rest of the system remains clean.

Having a separate admin account that you use for escalation, greatly limits the ability of these drive by actors to infect the system. You call up the 'root' account if you need to make a significant change, such as installing Java, Flash, or those other things you really don't want... but. :)

I thought I had access to my test W10 Home system at work, from home, but looks like I turned it off. All my other systems are W10 Pro. I'll have to document how to add and change user types on that tomorrow as time permits.

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Ah, a Windows 10 'thing' -- I can hardly wait :rolleyes: :vbrolleyes:

Thanks for clarifying, hc :newpalm:

5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I have been using McAfee since the mid 1990's when I was given my first $4,500 Toshiba laptop from an IT guy who work for a company that took care of the computers for HP. It was amazing the waste & what HP would throw away. Besides my laptop he provided my family, our church office & myself with upgrade desktops until year 2000 & we moved from Sunnyvale to Syracuse.

McAfee was what HP was using back then. I figured if it was good enough for them - it would be good enough for me. I have bought package plans & had that installed on all our computers - including our girls while they were in college and right up to them have tech savvy husbands who take care of their security.

My personal IT guy uses all the open source - free stuff - that you all have referred to - AVG & Malwarebytes (I believe that's the one he uses if he suspects something got through AVG) & he is also using Windows 10 Defender. When he set up my son's & wife's 64GB SSD ASUS T100TA-C1-GR Transformer Books - he just used Windows 10 features. Shortly after they started using their T100's they moved on to other devices - my wife has a powerful Lenovo laptop issued by the school district & our son & his wife are using exclusively their Toshiba Chromebook 2, 13.3", Intel Celeron 3215U, 4GB RAM, 16GB SSD (I don't have all of that memorized - I keep that info on Keep so I can talk somewhat intelligent here on B.H.).

My church office desktop has AVG. I don't like it. I don't understand. Things pop up with it & I never know if I'm fully protected with it. It is ok because I am very secure and do little work on it that could be a security problem. I don't use Window 10 apps & all my email I access from Chrome & only download files from others that I've requested plus more & more we are just share Google Docs & Sheets - which I believe is pretty secure.

I know McAfee costs - but so does my Farmer's Insurance for our house & autos. I know our home monitoring system costs us monthly - but to have a reliable security system at home & at our church (it's huge - I use to sell systems while in seminary, nobody is getting in - & the word is out on the street on that. We had 4 break-ins from 2003-2007 - the same people came back a second time & both were caught. Today we don't even have any attempts) bring me a peace of mind that these things are working in the background & I don't have to fool with them.

Is McAfee perfect - no - but neither is any system - but it has worked when my wife on a couple occasions is looking up FREE resources for teachers & is saying she didn't ''click'' on anything - yet McAfee caught & stopped the problems & I was able to run a deep scan & remove what McAfee prevented.

Yes McAfee uses computer resources but I would rather have a slightly slower or much slower computer (in the case of our HP Desktop that made the journey from Vista to Win 10) than no computer at all!

By the way - a couple of times I've had to contact McAfee support when adding a new computer &/or moving from 1 package to another that was a better deal. I've always been able to get through quickly via voice or chat & issues were quickly resolved!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

6. headcronie

Also w8 w8.1

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Do let us know if there is a way to downgrade an account on Win 10 Home. I can't find it. I may experiment with creating a new user account and "moving" to it, as long as all my software still works. I assume it will. Will also depend on what a PIA the user account is. Whether I've been lucky or not, my experience so far doesn't motivate me to put up with a lot of bunk from my Windows computer when I want to do something. :vbgrin:

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thanks HC, your arguments are compelling enough. As Hook said above, it used to be a hassle to have a regular account, but if apps work properly it may be worth a try. I still see no way to downgrade admin accounts. So I created a new local, non-admin account on my laptop. I see there's a lot of stuff to set up. But my two main programs, AutoCAD and Excel, work properly after a quick auto setup. Still, I have to import my workspace settings to AutoCAD on the new account. I'll have to see how I can quickly move all my google drive and onedrive stuff, all of which adds up to over 150GB. If I can simply move the local folders to the new user folder, that's fine. If either service requires downloading all that stuff again, then that would be a major PITA. I think I'll go ahead with this experiment, see what happens with the cloud services first, decide based on that.

9. headcronie

My W10 Home system is running on an EOL Atom processor. As such, Microsoft has cut it off at version 1607. It will continue to operate and receive updates until 2015, but can't upgrade versions of W10.

You are welcome to test things out using the regular user account you created. You can also make things easy to switch as well, once you are done testing.

Create a new Admin account. Password protect it.
    Login using your new Admin account.
    Manage other users. Locate your original admin account you were using.
    Change account type and set it to user, and remove admin.
    Log out of your admin account.
    Whenever you need to do something that requires admin permissions, it will prompt you for your admin account username, and password.

I can get screen grabs from 1607 which may or may not be helpful in finding these options if you would like.

10. headcronie

The reason to do this, is so you don't have to try to migrate all your settings, logins, files, etc, etc. You just change the account type, and retain all your data in place.

Just be sure you don't forget your new admin account name, and new password. :)