2018: Thoughts on Anti-Virus and Anti-malware (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, May 14, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I have AquaMail installed. Glad it passes the privacy test. I work in student education. We have our own set of imposing privacy rules we must adhere to. Funny how AquaMail has better privacy options than Google's own G-Suite for Edu products. Google only does the bare minimum required...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Well, Nine Mail decided to work after all. I changed nothing, and all of a sudden, emails appeared on the inbox. Reminded me of Tron, when they killed the MCP, the city's lights turned on, and all the hidden messages appeared again :D

Anyway, I went over to https://www.emailprivacytester.com/, and ran the test on all three clients (Blue Mail, Nine Mail, Aqua Mail). Resuts were... unintelligible to me, to say the least.

EDIT: Here are the correct results for the three clients. This time I made sure to delete previous test results and sent a fresh email for each client.

Aqua Mail:

Aqua Mail 800.png

Blue Mail:

Blue Mail 800.png

Nine Mail:

Nine Mail 800.png

If, as I suspect, more red squares means more security and privacy concerns, then Aqua Mail beat the other two by a very long shot. Nine Mail apparently scores worse than Blue Mail. Also, Blue Mail seems to have serious issues, even though they claim to have addressed them after the March reveal (in the article I posted a few posts above).

HC, since you're around, could you help us with these results? Does my interpretation make any sense? In any case, I'm going to delete Blue Mail from my and also from Mrs R's phones, and will switch to Aqua Mail.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

foolishly, perhaps, I use BlueMail only on my ASUS tablet, because at the time (a year ago) it was the only app that allowed embedded images; my other devices are by Samsung, and the provided email app, Email, has that feature and I use it extensively for personal email.

scjjtt, Hook and raspabalsa like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, that was one of the features that drew me to BlueMail. The other was its UI, it's really beautiful, well-designed, pleasant to use. It's a shame that it has so many other issues. None of the other clients I've used (the ones above plus Gmail, Outlook, and LG's mail) are close to BlueMail in terms of UI. Too bad, but off it went from the devices in my household

scjjtt, Hook, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.
  5. headcronie

I am officially on vacation. Only have my phone, and soon that will be set aside as I head to the waterpark. I can look on Thurs when I get back. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 3 others like this.
  6. headcronie

DNS Prefetch is where your system grabs the routing for a resource, before you request the resource. It does not grab the data from the source, only the routing, so if / when you do request the resource, there should be no additional delay in getting to that source. The privacy issue there is, your DNS query is logged by someone, be it your ISP, 3rd party DNS, your VPN, etc. DNS queries simply state where you requested to obtain data from, not what data you saw. It's a bare minimum privacy issue. But it may become more of an issue as Net Neutrality begins to fail, and where you browse becomes more of a hot topic as every move you make is logged, sold, and manipulated.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.