2018: Thoughts on Anti-Virus and Anti-malware (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, May 14, 2018.

1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Easy peasy. Read the BIOS key, no intervention required. Whew. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I had to back to find these posts as I couldn't remember which thread this discussion popped up in. Lol.

The version that's out is a beta (definitely not an alpha) and I've just been trying it out and it is amazing. It is a full Desktop with calendar, tasks, contacts and email (IMAP) that all syncs up with Google. It also will sync to Evernote for notes, but I have opted for Simplenote. Has some rough edges, but main functions work spectacularly. I'm thinking of buying during beta which will get you lifetime updates for the price of the standard updates for one year, about $20 USD depending on the euro exchange rate. It is definitely competitive with Outlook and Pimlical. For email it doesn't have the security features of Thunderbird, more like Gmail on your desktop, but email is mostly a nice to have not something I was seeking out.

This is just a first look. Need to do a lot more exploring, but it is pretty awesome. Available for Windows and Mac. Would be nice if it could be ported to Linux. :vbwink:

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yeah, the beta is very good. The UI is nice, less cluttered than Outlook. The special price is interesting, although a bit steep. I'm using Outlook on my laptop, but only for the corporate email account. On Android, Outlook is a mess. Often, SMTP fails to send the email, even though the account is properly configured, it takes too long to launch and sync, etc. Since I was already using Calengoo on Android, I dumped Outlook and installed BlueMail. I could replace Outlook on my laptop with any other email client, although I'll still have it installed since it's part of my Office 365 subscription.

Would be great if Calengoo could sync with other task apps. I don't use Evernote (free version is severely crippled, full version requires subscription instead of one-time purchase and it's too expensive), so I can't test the attachment feature. A couple of months ago I switched my tasks and notes from ColorNote + OneNote to Zoho Notebook. It uses its own cloud service to sync, but the devs say they'll add other sync options, and maybe then it will be possible to integrate with other apps such as Calengoo. As it is now, Zoho Notebook can export notes to a Calengoo event on my phone, then I can see that event and note in Calengoo on Windows, but of course changes are not synced.

Wonder how long the special price will be available. It is very tempting.

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

what I've done for my phone is install
    upload_2018-6-10_22-32-25.png
    (I could hardly say "I've installed Nine", now, could I...)

It does everything Outlook does, AFAIK. you can use all the features, or only a few. It works with Exchange servers (for work email/scheduling) and also with whatever what was Hotmail is called this week (Outlook, I think).
    There is a 2 week free trial period, but then it's a single time purchase of $14.99 USD

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  5. Hook

I went ahead and paid for it. For me it's a replacement for Pimlical (which replaced Outlook). Pimlical will do Google Calendars also, but I don't quite like the way it does it. This is much smoother, much more direct and Calengoo on Android is absolutely the best way to handle Google Calendar. I think having unlimited updates will prove very worthwhile, especially at half price.

@RickAgresta Nice looking app. Wish I could get at my work exchange server, but, alas, only on work issued, locked down devices.

6. raspabalsa

I had considered Nine Mail, but my cheapskate side decided against it. But after reading this post I went to Nine Mail's Play Store page, and read this:
    Which in turn made me wonder about BlueMail, since it's a free app and must some way or other generate revenue for its devs. I found a couple of disturbing articles, one old, but the other quite new:

Why I Stopped Using Blue Mail; from 2014, says BlueMail sends user data through its servers

Security desaster: Blue Mail app and other email apps transmit login credentials; from early March this year, quite shocking, and BlueMail's allegued response is not satisfying enough, especially since they released a couple of updates soon after the article was published

Then I saw here a statement by BlueMail that in short claims to solve a situation that supposedly never existed:
    Now I'm worried. Such a strong denial and several software revisions coming so soon after the second article probably mean something was fishy indeed. Has it been solved? Who knows, but I certainly don't. As I said above, I use BlueMail only for my corporate email, and I don't run any personal data through that account, but I do run lots of company sensitive data through it. I guess it's time to do some more research on this, and maybe reconsider Nine Mail.

7. Hook

This got me looking at a nice rundown on how secure email apps are by Crashdamage at Android Forums.

https://androidforums.com/threads/email-which-apps-keep-it-private.935578/

That was of course 2015 and things can certainly change but both Nine and the one I use, Aquamail fared well. Aquamail was bought up by Mobisystems and I was grateful to see they are still located in the US. They snuck in a setting that is activated by default to send usage statistics, but I unchecked that box. As far as I can tell the original developer is still involved and the app is still secure. However, you can't just take any app for granted just because it's good now.

This is way more work than it ought to be. :vbrolleyes:

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I use Aquamail. Thanks, Hook! :)

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I work for a financial institution and am absolutely positively under threat of immediate termination and possible prosecution if I don't handle company sensitive data according to very strict rules. One rule: don't use email unless it is encrypted and goes through the corporate servers. There's recent news about email encryption hacks that make me nervous about that, too.

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

Thanks for the link, Hook! Aquamail was the third app I considered after BlueMail and Nine Mail. Again, price was a factor, because I need the premium features.

I just installed Nine Mail on my phone, but can't get it to retrieve messages on the inbox. Setup is exactly the same as on Outlook and BlueMail, but the inbox appears empty. Sent and Drafts folders show all messages, though. I don't feel like troubleshooting, so I'll try Aquamail again.
    My company doesn't have such strict rules. Still, I'd rather find an alternative that at least is better at concealing its flaws :D