2018: Thoughts on Anti-Virus and Anti-malware (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, May 14, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Wow!

lelisa13p and headcronie like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Yup. I use Thunderbird in both Winblows and Linux. ;-)

lelisa13p likes this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Yeah, but cutting the cord is still hit and miss for some stuff I want and with all the proliferating pay services, it ends up not being all that much cheaper. I've periodically worked it out. A while ago, I would see everyone wanting 'a la carte' cable channels, but if you pay $5-$10 for each one, it adds up quickly.

Is Discovery Go available outside of a cable subscription? It would be strange that someone already paying for Discovery couldn't get it online; but someone could get it without a cable subscription or pay subscription bundle (like Sling TV, etc.).

I keep wanting to play with Plex, as it's available both for the Mac Mini and my NAS, but just haven't had the time. I was more interested in using it as the interface for my media; but the channels/plugins function sounds promising.

4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

By the way, PBS has seemingly drastically reduced access to their streaming content. The availability window is much shorter and then you have to pay. Plus, for the longest time I've found their scheduling to be really awful (when they choose to air repeats, etc.). They also seem to like feast or famine scheduling. They'll railroad two or three series, and then long stretches of little or nothing. I used to donate to PBS regularly, but I've stopped.

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You're right. I'll have to double down on my NCIS and CSI studies. I've clearly left gaping holes in my plan. ;) My plan is not perfect, but it has thus far proven to thwart tracking and advertisements are flat out banished. It's my happy place. You're welcome to join me if you'd like. I'll save you a spot. :D

DNS is the very first point at which your ISP knows of your activities. Routing DNS requests elsewhere removes this channel of information. Now if your ISP decides it wants to snoop on your external DNS requests, there is essentially nothing you can do about it, or even worse, your ISP could still intercept those requests as well. So to a degree, you reduce the info that is simply handed to them, but it is not a perfect solution. A trusted VPN with a 3rd party DNS is about as good as you're going to get as far as I understand.

I'm a Systems Admin, and not a Network Admin. My knowledge in how the bits get from here to there, and how safe they are, kinda stops with 'Well, the light on the port is blinking green.' :D I may be a bit more dangerous than that, but nothing I'd venture for professional use.

6. headcronie

"Wow!" could mean so many things. Wow, your fellow co-workers are really interested in snooping on you.
    "Wow!" could mean I'm really averse to having people know what I'm doing and I'm a bit edgy when I tell them to bugger off.

It's not written in our Acceptable Use Agreement that we allow these trackers, nor is it written that we must allow these trackers.
    Either way, "Wow!" fits. ;)

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Oh, I forgot -- that blinking light is the other way they're siphoning off your data. :eek:

8. headcronie

Learned something new today! :p Haha!

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  9. headcronie

How coincidental -
    How to increase your privacy online

Looking at The Verge's site with Privacy Badger, you've got 24 trackers, and with Ublock Origin, you've got 48 ads blocked.
    Brighthand has 12 trackers, and 16 ads blocked.

10. headcronie

I'm now going to check this out. Decommissioning some W8 systems, which means no OEM COA sticker on it. Key should be in BIOS. DVD in the drive, doing a clean install of W10. They've only had W7 on them, as we never used W8 in production. I'll have to see if W10 auto detects the built in key, or if I'll have to fish it out via PowerShell or other means...

Hook, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.