16 GB Micro SDHC Card

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ward.smith, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I currently use two 8 GB cards in my Centro, but I do not like swapping them so I rarely do. Has anyone tried a 16 GB card? I know that my Centro will not read the free space from a card that big. I only want to access the files (mostly music). After scanning some forums, it appears that they may work in some Treo's. Any thoughts?

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I am not 100% sure, but I kinda recall the Centro can already get along 16 GB SDHC cards. Yes, there used to be a software gap regarding the proper storage capacity in the Palm OS, but it used to be mentioned for previous models like the Treo 680. In a not so recent thread, holvoetn told me he indeed used 16 GB cards in his 680 (or even of a higher storage capacity).

Suggestion: ask around your pals to see if you can borrow a 16 GB SDHC card from anyone for the evening, get to your computer, back up all the contents and try it in your Centro.

3. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Great idea but I do not know anyone with that card. I do have a 16 GB card in my Tx with SDHC, and it works great; but that is a completely different story. I think I'll wait for a more definitive answer on this thread.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

If your device can read/write SDHC or microSDHC or miniSDHC, I would be absolutely shocked if it couldn't handle the highest capacity for that format which, I believe, will eventually top out at 32GB. In fact, based on dmitry's comments about his sdhc driver for the Palm TX, I wouldn't be too surprised if devices that can read sdhc couldn't also handle sdxc which is a future development.

Anyway, while I'd love to have a 16GB card in my device, 8GB seems to be the pricing sweet spot still. First, since I want my memory cards to be used across multiple devices (including cameras), I'll only consider class 6 (the fastest). My 755p might not care if it's a class 2, 4, or 6, but if I put the card into a card reader or a digital camera, then class 6 will certainly make a difference. Class 6 16GB microSDHC cards are about $55 including shipping, but I can get 2 class 6 8GB microSDHC cards for about $40. The extra $15 just to have a single card isn't worth it to me. I understand that on the Centro it's especially difficult to remove the cards, so it might be worth it to you. For me, having 2 cards instead of one gives me a little more flexibility when sharing cards across devices, too.

Anyway, if you see a good deal on 16GB microSDHC and have the cash, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for the Centro. I'm very sure it'll work. In the very unlikely circumstance that it doesn't, you could probably return it or use it on another device with the included SD adapter.

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Jig, your post is pretty enlightening. Also, I support the idea that if the cash is not an issue, it's a good idea to purchase a card as discussed. Anyway, if the thing doesn't get along with your centro, surf dog, there are still plenty of chances around to put it to work; even if you don't happen to own a device that works with it, a 16GB card plus a card reader already gather up as an external HDD for your computer.

6. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Thanks. If it doesn't work in my Centro, I will use it in my Tx. I'll let you know when I get one how it works.

7. LaLongeCarabine

LaLongeCarabine Mobile Deity

OK I just got a 8 GB at Fry's $24 minus a $5 in-store rebate.
    I got crazy with music and pics and still got 3.5 GB free!
    The only problem is the memory used display only shows half the chip.
    I think I've read that it does used all the memory and nothing is lost.
    Does anyone know of a fix?

To get back to point, will a 16 GB do the same, and not show the correct amount of memory used.

8. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

The Centro can use the memory, it just can't read it. There is an app that can read it but I did not really like it. I use a card reader to move music on and off. When mounted on my desktop, it says how much memory I have left and that is good enough for me.

9. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

What do you have. If you have a TX (which means you must be using Dmitry's PowerSDHC), Palm OS is incapable of showing the correct memory size. It will use the memory fine and file managers will show you the files (although they will also show inacurate figures for memory size). Dmitry has a free utility, Card Size, that reports the memory stats accurately.

On a Treo/ Centro, I don't know.

However, yes, this situation does not change with the 16Gb card.

10. LaLongeCarabine

LaLongeCarabine Mobile Deity

Both but I was talking about my Centro. The songs are there put the display only shows 4GB. As Ward.smith says my card reader shows it all, so nothing really to worry about. If also use CardReader a lot and it shows 7.4GB so all is golden.

I have a pTunes add on that syncs with iTunes now I'll play with it and see if I can add music with that. It lets me copy whole playlists so I can make themes so I can have the appropriate music in the back ground. I this doesn't work I can use the cardreader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.