10 Must-Have Smartphone Apps for Working On the Go Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Adama D. Brown, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Like just about everyone else, you're probably using your iPhone or Android phone as a tool for both work and play. Here are ten essential apps for working on the go.

Read the full content of this Article: 10 Must-Have Smartphone Apps for Working On the Go

Related Articles:

BlackBerry Postpones BBM For Android & iPhone, Blaming Leak

Seven-App City Survival Kit for the Android Phone User

How to Keep Your Smartphone Safe

VoxDox for Android and iOS Review: Turning Text into Talk

Six Android GPS Apps for Navigating the Great Outdoors

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
    scjjtt likes this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

...Pandora? I mean, I get that even businesspeople have to unwind (trust me, I get it), but couldn't that same argument apply to any non-productivity app in a "must-have smartphone app for working on the go" list? I play Plants versus Zombies when relaxing between tasks, but it doesn't belong on this list.

EdmundDantes likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I could (but don't ) listen to music while I work. Games distract me from my work. There's a difference.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

scjjtt likes this.
  4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I guess. I just was surprised to see an app that is unrelated to work but, at most, is not inconsistent with getting work done.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I love PicSay! I use the free version so much, that I feel obligated to 'pony-up' for the Pro version...it's really fun, and I can easily see how it can be most useful for annotating pictures.

Attached Files:

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

A lot of people who need to spend time outside a regular work environment, either traveling, driving, or just commuting, would have a lot of use for a good music app. That said, the apps for these roundups are chosen by the software editor, not by me; I write about what is assigned to me.

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Mitlov, my take on these articles (and just my opinion) is that they are a catch-all generic thing. They rarely vary much in content. Check the ones for students, road warriors etc. They always throw in things like Pandora. They don't even vary much by device (iOS or Android for example).

Mitlov likes this.
  8. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Well I already use Weatherbug, the ad free Weatherbug Elite to be precise.

GMail is frankly what I use for business and that is essentially travels with me on the phone.

Facebook Messenger for keeping contacts in touch. Ditto with Google Hangouts aka formerly Google Talk or Messenger (people are in Facebook or GMail, one way or another).

I use Google Drive. If I get Office files sent as attachments in GMail in the web, GMail will convert for Google Drive. This is not to mention I use Google Drive to move files between my phone, tablets and notebooks. After having bought a Chromebook, I got 100Gb of cloud storage free for 2 years.

Flighttrack for keeping track of flights.

Flightboard for keeping track of airline arrivals and departures given any particular airport. This is useful for picking up people.

Quickoffice if you need to edit Office files.

Agoda, Kayak for booking flights and hotels.

Evernote for keeping notes.

I also use Google Keep fo keeping notes.

Instapaper for saving webpages so you can read them later.

Feedly for news on the go, now that Google Reader is gone.

Google Now for giving me ambient and contextual information on the go that could prove handy at times.

Google Search for researching information.

Google Calendars for setting appointments. And MyCalendar for reminding me of people's birthdays from their Facebook info.

Google Maps so you don't get lost. Good also for finding your way through strange cities, locating bus stops and other nodes of public transportatIon (MTRs, LRTs, whatever you call them).

Traffic apps might be useful as well so you can bypass traffic, as well as apps that call for taxi services, or tracking public transportation schedules (MTRs, LRTs whatever you call them).

AMEX app for keeping track of my expenses, and for payment. AMEX needs to be commended for making a model Android app. It should held up as an example how to make a modern looking Android app that uses Google's recommended design language.

An app for your bank.

Apps that are good for economics and financial information, e.g. Bloomberg, eTrade. Often times my own HTC widgets do a good job on this.

Amazon Kindle for buying ebooks and reading them. Not talking about fiction reading for enjoyment, but buying referential books that can be helpful for research and profession.

Let's not forget Google Chrome for synching all the bookmarks and browsing history on the desktop so I can continue them on mobile, and resume on desktop what I was browsing on mobile.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I prefer and use the following:
    FileMaker Go, SpalshID, SplashMoney, Docs to Go, TypeIt4Me, Good Reader, Yelp, MapQuest, ParkMobile, and Trip Tracker. I kept it at 10 as there are 3 or 4 more apps that I could add to this list. Keep in mind that I have over 100 apps on my iPhone.

scjjtt likes this.