TX freezing during Backup on hotsync

Closed Thread

Question TX freezing during Backup on hotsync

Hi,
    my TX has been freezing during the backup in the end of hotsync.
    This happens on both (TX and computer) and after a looong time, a message on TX indicates the connection is lost.
    In the computer the hotsync window never closes and I need to close it by hand (ctrl-alt-del ...).
    The file name shown when the TX is freezed is not always the same. It seems a random ocurrence.
    The log is not generated.
    I would like to try every possibility before hard reset.

Any ideas ?

Tks,
    Almir

Brain stuck BogoMipping

Default Re: TX freezing during Backup on hotsync

Hello AlmirSN, welcome to Brighthand!

Is this your first Palm, or did you upgrade from a previous model? If upgrade, did you follow the recommended upgrade procedure? Is your TX otherwise workingproperly? What flavor of Windows are you using (XP Home, XP Pro, XP Media Center, Vista, etc). If running Vista, be aware tha PalmDesktop is still not fully compatible with Vista, so errors are to be expected.

For starters, you can try disabling the Backup conduit, and running a hotsync to see if it runs ok. To disable the conduit, click on the hotsync icon in the computer's taskbar, select "custom". Make sure your hotsync name is displayed at the top of the window that pops up (or choose it from the drop down list), then scroll down the list of conduits until you find Backup. Double click on this conduit, then change the action to "Do nothing". DO NOT set this action as default at this time (this way the change will only affect the next hotsync, then the backup conduit will revert to "handheld overwrites desktop"). Then run one hotsync. If the hotysnc is properly done, then something is definitely wrng with the Backup info. If the hotsync still freezes, then the fault is somewhere else. Either way, there are more things to try to solve your problem.

In the meantime, use another backup solution. NVBackup is an excellent free program that makes a full backup of your TX to the SD card. Works much better than the backup via hotsync. It's more reliable, it backups 100% of your TX's contents (hotsync does not backup 100%), and you can restore without using a computer. Some of us do not backup via hotsync at all, instead relying on backup to card solutions (I personally prefer RescoBackup.

Hope this helps
    raspabalsa
    Palm Vx -> Palm m515 -> Palm Tungsten T1 -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm TX -> Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 + Apple BT Keyboard -> Sony Xperia Z1 phone + Logitech BT Keyboard

There are just four simple machines to alter force: the lever, the pulley, the inclined plane and, um, the internal combustion engine - Calvin
    Anything with a large enough engine will fly

Thank you very much for your quick answer.
    This is not my first PDA and everything was working fine until some weeks ago. I have this TX since april...
    My computer OS is Win XP Pro.

Everything goes fine when I disabled the backup on hotsync. The problem is there!!

I have BackUp Lite 1.7.6 installed, and it works fine.

Even the option to backup using these tools can be better, I would like just to understand what happens.

Regards!

Brain stuck BogoMipping

You're welcome :9

So if you already have another backup solution you can play with the backup conduit at leisure Just be sure to make a backup to the card first.

Maybe some files are corrupted either in the palm or in the computer's backup folder. It's easier (and safer too) to test the computer first, so try the following:

Locate the hotsync backup folder in C:/program files/palm. It's the folder whose name resembles your hotsync name (i.e.: JohnDoe -> DoeJ). Inside this folder you'll see the Backup folder. Rename this folder to something else (i.e.: BAckup_old), but don't delete or move it. Then do another hotsync. This time the hotsync program will not detect the ackup fodler, will assume there is no backup on the PC, and will create a new backup set, so the hotsync will take some time.

If the hotsync freezes again, then the problem is on the TX, and we'll have to try something else. If hotsync does not freeze, then the problem is on the old Backup folder, but since you have created a new backup folder you can delete the old one safely and just go on.
    raspabalsa
    Palm Vx -> Palm m515 -> Palm Tungsten T1 -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm TX -> Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 + Apple BT Keyboard -> Sony Xperia Z1 phone + Logitech BT Keyboard

There are just four simple machines to alter force: the lever, the pulley, the inclined plane and, um, the internal combustion engine - Calvin

We are almost there!
    I followed your instructions and this time the computer didnīt freeze but the TX did. Needed a soft reset.
    In the computer a message about the lost connection (Iīm using Wifi hotsync)...
    Thank you for the tip about NVBackup. It seems a great app.

Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hmmm.... run a hotsync again. If the TX keeps freezing then definitely some file is corrupted in it. If that's the case then a hard reset and selective restore may be unavoidable.
    raspabalsa

OK. Thank you very much for all your help.

As I just found a better solution for backup, using NVBackup, I think I will keep the hotsync backup turned off for a while and maybe try to fix it in the future.
    Regards!

Brain stuck BogoMipping

Personally, I'd feel concerned if in the same situation, because it seems something is broken not in the backup conduit, but in your TX's memory. This could get worse later. My recommendation is to plan a good full maintenance of your TX, preferably over a weekend, just to play on the safe side.
    raspabalsa

Detective/Moderator

The Backup conduit is used to send certain information back to your computer, specifically Saved and Unsaved Preferences.

What does your Hotsync Log say?

Are you syncing via cable or WiFi? If cable, are you using USB0 (connected to computer's motherboard in back) or a powered hub? If no, it is possible the USB slot you are using does not have sufficient power to sustain a sync.
    DT Lives in SFO...away from flying objects.
    Psion 3, Palm Pilot, IIIxe, M130, TE, TE2, TX

Don't take yourself too darn seriously.

I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, AlmirSN.
    Brain -> Casio -> Sharp -> Filofax -> Palm Pilot -> Palm Professional -> Palm IIIc -> iPAQ 4660 (oops) -> TT3 + T610 + NavMan -> TT5 + SE K700i + NavMan -> TT5 + 2Gb SD card + SE K810i + universal PDA thumb board + external mike + TomTom ONE + BlackBerry 8800

Winner of the Brighthand Palm 5th Anniversary Contest
    NOT