Something not huge! -what should i buy thread-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Something not huge! -what should i buy thread-

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Something not huge! -what should i buy thread-

Hey guys so I'm pretty much looking for a smartphone that is not one of these tablet size things I keep seeing in stores/online.

• 4" or smaller screen (4.3" if there is nothing else out there) Don't care if its HD or not.
    • Excellent camera (for a phone). At this point I don't carry a camera around anymore, so this would become my main shooter.
    • Good battery life (should last 2+ days under light use). by light use I mean, 5-10 mins of internet browsing, 10 mins of txting, 2 mins of call time and maybe 5-6 pics over the course of a day.
    • CPU can either be a fast single or dual core. quads are not needed or even wanted since I never game on my phone so it would just end up sucking battery life.
    • Sturdy build (NO GLASS BACKS, also I love unibody designs)
    • Any carrier will do, but I prefer a prepaid plan from T-mobile
    • While Android is my favorite mobile OS I could be tempted away to W8 or even Apple if the hardware fits.

Default Re: Something not huge! -what should i buy thread-

I've been looking at the new Samsung Exhibit. It's sold by T-Mobile but you can find it elsewhere at a cheaper price. It has a dual core processor, a 3.8 inch screen, a 5 megapixel camera and comes with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The screen is a bit too small for my liking but it may be perfect for you.

Gone With The Wind

Since you are going to use it for Tmobile, you have few options. So far you can get...

Sony Xperia M - not available yet
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599 - mentioned above
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze Q
    T-Mobile Prism II
    Huawei Ascend G312
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 & Samsung Galaxy SII X T989D
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 P1010 & Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 P5113
    Computer: Samsung R480 Notebook & Samsung N310 Netbook

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by NetBrakr View Post
    Since you are going to use it for Tmobile, you have few options. So far you can get...

Sony Xperia M - not available yet
    Samsung Galaxy Exhibit T599 - mentioned above
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze Q
    T-Mobile Prism II
    Huawei Ascend G312
    Well it does not HAVE to be on T-mobile, I will look to other carriers if i can find the right hardware. My main thing is that it be small and have a very good camera, unfortunately most of those have fairly lower end 5 MP cameras.

At this point the top runners are a unlocked Sony Xperia SX, the upcoming Samsung S4 mini or the Iphone 4S (4S is kind of a last resort, has a good camera and the right formfactor but its glass design seems to crack a lot). I also don't mind waiting for a bit if you guys know of something being released in the next month or two. The HTC one mini looks interesting too but I can't seem to find much info on it.
    Last edited by WesMan; 07-14-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Gone With The Wind

Please aware of these phones frequencies, especially 3G. Some unlocked phone will not work with Tmobile's 3G.
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 & Samsung Galaxy SII X T989D
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 P1010 & Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 P5113
    Computer: Samsung R480 Notebook & Samsung N310 Netbook

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Quote Originally Posted by NetBrakr View Post
    Please aware of these phones frequencies, especially 3G. Some unlocked phone will not work with Tmobile's 3G.
    In addition, if the phone does work for a carrier it wasn't designed for, the data speeds may be less than 3G performance. The same can be (not necessarily is) true of international models.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Endogame

One of the things you have to watch out for in this category is that small screens do not always equal small footprints. The bezel to screen ratio tends to go up as the phones get smaller, especially for the most budget minded devices. I'm not going to look it up just now but I think I remember that the galaxy s3 mini (4") is bulkier than the s4 mini (4.3"). A less on point example, but still instructive is the 5" s4 is ever so slightly smaller than the 4.7" s3.

On that note, a little north of the screen size you specified is the Moto X. It might be 4.4" to 4.7", but it's a fairly tight looking package. I saw it in a video once (can't find it just now) next to an iphone 5 (4"), and was a little taken aback by how close they were (makes me think it might be closer to 4.4"). Definitely not huge. I hate to tease something that isn't out yet, but brighthand says it's coming to verizon in august (expected to be released on all major carriers) and there's a rogers demo video out today, and the general trickle of information is accelerating, so it may be here quite soon. It's also expected to be priced aggressively due to using last year's specs, of note given your interest in prepaid.

These two are covering it pretty aggressively:
    Moto X – Droid Life
    Moto X - Android Community
    Project Ara ~ Designed exclusively for 6 billion people.
    DIMPLE ~ Android NFC Buttons!

Mobile Deity

I would recommend the Galaxy S4 Mini. or shudder, the Facebook phone aka HTC First. You can disable the Facebook Home interface and get a straight Android interface on the HTC First, which is mighty convenient.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Mobile Enthusiast

Yea Mi An, I have noticed what your saying about the screen size vs body size. Its one of the reasons I'm still including the 4.3" phones in my search even though they tend to be a little larger then I like. The Galaxy S4 Mini is a pretty good example of a phone with small bezels packing in a large screen in a smaller body.

Also by all means let me know about any upcoming phones. I don't have to purchase right away (just soonish) so anything on the horizon that might fit what im looking for is up for grabs.

I hear what you guys are saying about the carrier frequency compatibility. Right now though im just looking for something with the right hardware and then il start researching what carriers i can use once I find the right phone.

Shiny

Reading through your criteria, the iPhone 5 sounds like the best bet in my opinion. Both Android and WP are currently putting their flagship-quality cameras and components in large-sized phones. Anything remotely close to the iPhone in size right now has only midrange-quality screens, cameras, and build quality.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.
    Sony VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    Sony VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.

Windows 8 questions? Start here and PM me with any further questions. Mitlov's Windows 8 tutorial; configuring Win8.1 for non-touchscreen devices