Bluetooth Handsets for big phones

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jigwashere
  • 1 Post By Mi An

Thread: Bluetooth Handsets for big phones

Buttons!

Default Bluetooth Handsets for big phones

I think the first BT handset I saw was intended for home use, shaped like the old style landline receivers. Probably the first I saw that seemed to be intended for portable use was the HTC mini for their Butterfly, though I understand from another article it won't play well with other phones. I believe there's an Asus memo tab that has a bluetooth stylus you can use as a handset. I've found a few small generic bluetooth headsets on ebay and amazon with caller id displays, and more interestingly, I even found an old failed kickstarter for a flip version designed for kids so you can let them talk to grandma without letting them drop your iphone. I like flip phones for angling mics towards your mouth and preventing accidental dialing/pickups via clamshell, as well as general pocketability.

I'm thinking I'll eventually get one of these, something I can use for calls while my phablet stays tucked in a bag or holster. I plan to document additional finds here. Though I plan to mostly post a fairly narrow category of these, feel free to add in bluetooth stylii receivers or other oddball alternatives to the normal headset.

I'd probably grab this one if I were buying today (Satechi Bluetooth Mini-Phone):
    41f5ELp2DkL.jpg

Here's the other:
    Pipsqueak_open__21573.1354158167.1280.1280.jpg

And here's a random ebay one called the bigtalk mini handset:
    $T2eC16J,!zEE9s3!(HecBQDEjQMk-!~~60_35.JPG

Palm Pilot

Default Re: Bluetooth Handsets for big phones

I'm not sure I want to carry another phone. A headset is better, at least for me. I've had a couple of bluetooth stereo headsets, but I just ordered this headset, which looks to be about as small and light as it's possible to get. It's not cheap, but I'm looking forward to trying it. More for listening to music than for phone use, but it should work fine for phone calls with the actual phone in a pocket. I have a standard bluetooth phone headset, but I haven't used it in a long time. I got it for use in the car, but my stereo with bluetooth capability is far more convenient.

Regards,

Stan
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

Buttons!

Definitely different strokes, and given how rare the handsets are, the headset appears to be the more popular option. One quick comparison of why I'm looking pretty closely at these fairly tiny handsets can be found in the link you listed. Talk time: 4.5 hrs, the satechi I posted above gets 18 hours. Both would probably get most people through the day, but mine could conceivably get me through the week. Add to that the visual caller id and keypad and I kind of get to have my cake and eat it too. I get a small phone and a big screen, and I don't have to carry the extra handset when I'd rather not.

Not my speed exactly, but here's another interesting BT handset from korea, the blueblue btp 5000, all touchscreen:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Life is a circus!

I can see the attraction to the handset -- it gives you versatility, convenience, functionality, and you don't look like such a dork by either talking into a big platter (phablet) or into the air (headset) like some nut case. I still think you're a nut case, but at least it won't be so obvious to everyone.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Buttons!

If only one could be less of a dork with better accessorizing... But there's still the other stuff.
    I, for one, welcome our feline overlords.

Life is a circus!
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Buttons!

I had actually forgotten about the Asus memic when I posted this thread, the little bt handset accompanying a memo tab. That was probably the first one I saw intended to be mobile. I don't think either that or the htc mini will work for other phones, though I'd prefer to buy something from a known brand for the quality assurance if I had my druthers.
    Attached Images Attached Images