A bit of a pickle - Which phone to choose (Samsung S3, Xperia Z, wait? (S4)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: A bit of a pickle - Which phone to choose (Samsung S3, Xperia Z, wait? (S4)

Mobile Enthusiast

Post A bit of a pickle - Which phone to choose (Samsung S3, Xperia Z, wait? (S4)

Hi there!

It's been a while since my last post, in which I exclaimed loudly and proudly that my next phone would be the Motorola Defy.

This phone has served me rather well over the past almost-three years, but its speaker died and my attempt to replace it killed the rest of the phone, much like Humpty did not survive his fall (even though the speaker does work now, it is far from element-proof).

In the trend of being water/dust (dare I say it.. life?) proof, the Xperia Z struck me as the right handset to go with.

Truth be told, I did not really need a phone that was water/dust proof that much, providing I'm careful - 'user' proof would be good though

However, after reading a rather large amount of reviews/scouring the net for information, I am wondering whether it's really the phone for me.

I am not sure whether I really need 1080p and it does seem to hamper battery life to quite a large degree.

On the other hand, I am able to charge my phone almost every day, which might make that 'con' stand out less.

I do like the look of the S3, but it's of a previous generation by now, even though I'd be getting the LTE version, with 2GB ram for that much more staying power over the years.

In short, regarding the S3 - I would be worried it's not future-proof enough, but perhaps someone here thinks otherwise and has a good reason to think as such?

I could wait for the S4, but I read that it won't have an Amoled screen, something I am keen on trying.

Hm.. This post is becoming a bit disorganized I see.

Basically, money is not the issue, as I will be getting a new contract which I can start with right away.

I am wondering how really necessary 1080p is - would I truly be missing out with 'just' 720p? Is it really that much less sharp?

My main usage of my Defy was watching youtube, browsing the web, taking over remote servers (SSH, RDP, etc - here it would be useful actually), listening to music (headphones).. but mainly tinkering (rooting, trying out a lot of interesting software), the phone could almost be considered an extra limb in that regard.

Has anyone else run into such questions lately? I would like some guidance, ideas, anything basically that might steer me in the right direction or tell me to hold off for a bit longer.

That said, at the moment I am using an old iPhone 3G (not even the S), and my tinkering has come to a staggering halt.

Thank you for reading and any replies that may flow forth

*update* I have no real brand preference, I'm open to any and all ideas.

Mobile Deity

Default Re: A bit of a pickle - Which phone to choose (Samsung S3, Xperia Z, wait? (S4)

Hey there neenee
    I'm not a big fan of AMOLED screens, especially the S3's version, but it's good enough to be the biggest selling single Android model
    What the S3 does have, is versatility in spades imo, the dual core qualcomm SoC is still a great performer, 2GB of ram does improve it's future capability, removable/replaceable battery should it die a couple of years down the road, the best USB expansion in the mobile business, expandable storage, a fantastic software modding community, dedicated Wolfson sound hardware and great camera.

You only have to wait for another week to find out a bit about it's replacement model though.

To me 1080 is useless specs for specs sake, but that's where everything is going and there's no point in even debating it.

Battery life is a big complaint of mine, but if you're ok with charging every day it's not really an issue as pretty much anything will go a day, even with pretty stiff use.

Devices now are considerably better than 2 or 3 years ago [except battery life], but I doubt there will be the same gap in the next few years because they've already started to plateau with real life performance improvements despite the doubling and tripling of benchmark scores in the last 6 months or so.

I'd suggest to wait at least until a bit more is known about the Galaxy S4 if that's the preferred size you're looking at, then narrow it down and compare from there, the trouble with brand new tech is that you have to wait through all the review hype and new owner honeymoons to get the real story warts and all.

Buttons!

Default Re: A bit of a pickle - Which phone to choose (Samsung S3, Xperia Z, wait? (S4)

I don't normally encourage people to wait too much, but it's only a week till you know exactly what the S4 has to offer, and you don't have to worry about rumors anymore.

Resolution should always be considered in terms of 1) screen size 2) your own normal screen distance and 3) pixel configurations. The resolution is meaninglessness as a raw number. WVGA (800x480) is very sharp on a 3.5" screen (260ish ppi = pixels per inch), not so much spread out on a 4.5" screen (200ish ppi). 200ppi looks sharp at my laptop distance and not so much held right in front of mt face at my normal phone distances. Samsung and others have been cheating with pentile to make their screens sound (in the listed specs) like they have a higher pixel density than they really do. Pentile shares subpixels across pixels, and as a result, adds a little blur back into the picture. All that really means is you have to boost the minimum pixel density if it's pentile -- so while I expect to be happy with a 250ish ppi RGB (that's normal, non pentile) display, I'd probably demand a 300ish ppi pentile display (because it isn't really 300ish ppi). So while the S3 meets my preferences at >300ppi pentile, the S3 mini does not at 233ppi pentile.

Now I just laid out my preferences, which I developed by looking at a lot of screens, and which have changed over time as tech has improved, but despite what Apple will tell you, pixel density tolerances vary on an individual basis. It's not just about the perfect eyeball's technical abilities (which may not have been accurately laid out in marketing materials anyway), it's also about what you actually notice. There are layers of subjectivity involved. So ignore the specs, look at some screens (read on one if you're a reader, watch on one if videos are important, etc), and if they don't bother you, don't worry about the resolution too much. Tons of Apple fanatics who would rave about retina now were using/loving frigging 160ppi after the rest of the world had moved past it. With the pixel arms race at full strength, there aren't many screens that aren't super sharp anyway.
    I, for one, welcome our feline overlords.

Mobile Deity

I will tell you one thing, current generation of S-LCD screen with 1080p resolution is visually, and clearly better than 720p Super AMOLED screens right off the bat, even though those Super AMOLED screens are still pretty good. Like you can eyeball the difference. You can't eyeball the pixels but you can still experience the collective effect of all those densely packed pixels.

The other killer aspect of these new screens is that they are surprisingly battery efficient. More so than the Super AMOLED.

Apparently Samsung also knows where they are heading, as they already bought out Sony in their partnership on an S-LCD plant. Samsung also just made a major investment in Sharp, which makes these 1080p screens. That tells you a lot of things.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Shiny

I have to consciously put my nose up near the Galaxy S III to see individual pixels. 720p is totally fine for phones. Like 1080p on a laptop. Sure, some outdo it (retina MacBook Pro), but have you EVER looked at a 15" 1080p laptop and said "dang it, the pixels are too big?" Its more for more sake, like eight-speed transmissions in cars.

That said, the S3 isn't perfect. The quality of the screen (in terms of brightness and vibrancy) could be better. And regardless, you should wait a week, because the S3 is going to get even cheaper as soon as the S4 is unveiled. So even if you want the S3, wait unless you really need something ASAP (like I did when I got the S3 about a week ago).
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.
    Sony VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    Sony VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.

Windows 8 questions? Start here and PM me with any further questions. Mitlov's Windows 8 tutorial; configuring Win8.1 for non-touchscreen devices

Mobile Enthusiast

Thank you for the replies, I will wait a week (where does this time-frame come from?, I have not noticed any specific release info myself, have I overlooked part of this forum?) and go from there

I have not experienced amoled myself - there's a definite lack of smartphones around me, most seem to use iPhones which are ofcourse fine, but it leaves me a bit in the dark comparison wise and screenshots can only show so much

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Look in 'Headline News' for S4 unveiling info
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Shiny

The S IV is being released on Pi day (3/14). I suspect Samsung knows the geek market is key
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.
    Sony VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    Sony VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.

Windows 8 questions? Start here and PM me with any further questions. Mitlov's Windows 8 tutorial; configuring Win8.1 for non-touchscreen devices

Mobile Enthusiast

Ah, thank you both for the further info, I look forward to Pi day then

I hope my country (Flat, flat Holland) will release it around that time as well

Mobile Enthusiast

Hm.. Seven weeks until the S4 is released in my country apparently, I could order it now, but I've noticed it's quite a larger investment than the S3, naturally.

I checked out the Xperia Z in a store, it felt rather nice, responded well - the main issues seem to be lackluster camera/battery-life/viewing angles.

That said, I have a dedicated camera, I can usually charge once a day and viewing angles.. well, it's not often that I would view my phone at an angle, and I do not use my phone to watch a movie with several people.

The S4 does look interesting, but it's not just the cost of the phone, but also the added cost of a case - I'd want to protect my investment with something sturdy.

I will wait a little bit longer and see what reviews that pop up, will say. If I'd get the S3, it would have to last me 2 years (end of the new contract) - seeing as how the S4/Xperia Z are not huge jumps in performance, I'd assume that updates would be forthcoming for quite a while for the S3 - though even if not official, I could probably make use of the community at XDA-Developers.

*gets back in his tree, looking down at the phones passing-by*