Itching To Get A New Smartphone (Scratch...Scratch...Scratch)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Itching To Get A New Smartphone (Scratch...Scratch...Scratch)

Gone With The Wind

Default Itching To Get A New Smartphone (Scratch...Scratch...Scratch)

People! Please stop buying new smartphones! I am itching to get a new smartphone. lol jk

Anyway, yeah, I think it's time to research for my next smartphone.

I was thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy S2 (T989) Unlocked. But just recently, I talked to a store's customer representative. He told me if you get the Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 Unlocked, it will only work outside the US's carriers; since there is a new law. The carrier can block the IMEI number to prevent from other US carriers using the phone. So which means I cannot use the phone for At&t. Sucks. Though I am not 100% certain if this true or not.

So anyway, my second option is the LG Optimus 4X HD (OEM Unlocked). But I am open to suggestions.

My requirements:
    NON At&t Phones
    Unlocked
    3G 850/1900mhz
    mini-SIM Slot
    microSD slot
    At least Android 2.3 (I have no problems going old school)
    Minimum 4.5" to maximum 5" screen
    Under $400

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Last edited by NetBrakr; 03-07-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 & Samsung Galaxy SII X T989D
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 P1010 & Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 P5113
    Computer: Samsung R480 Notebook & Samsung N310 Netbook

Absent-Minded Professor

Default Re: Itching To Get A New Smartphone (Scratch...Scratch...Scratch)

I think the customer rep is mistaken. The law related to unlocking says only that phones that are locked to a carrier can't be unlocked without that carrier's permission, not that phones manufactured without a carrier lock can't be used on U.S. carriers or can/would be blocked by U.S. carriers.
    Pilot 1000, PalmPilot Personal (w/2MB "Palm III" upgrade card), Visor Deluxe, m105, m125, Tungsten E, Tapwave Zodiac 1, unlocked GSM Centro, T-Mobile Dash 3G, T-Mobile Touch Pro 2, Motorola DEFY (T-Mobile), Samsung Galaxy SII (T-Mobile), Archos 80 G9 tablet, Google Nexus 7 (2013, 32GB)

Endogame

Does sound like confusion (sounds like he's combining both the Librarian's DMCA exception removal and the upcoming national registry of stolen phones together), though I can't think of any reason a carrier couldn't block any phone they felt like, including all non-branded phones, I've never heard of them actually doing it either.

All the buying activity has got me drooling too. Be strong!
    Project Ara ~ Designed exclusively for 6 billion people.
    DIMPLE ~ Android NFC Buttons!

Gone With The Wind

This is where I got the info.

Samsung T989 Galaxy S II (T-Mobile) (Unlocked)

(The chat feature is offline now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mi An View Post
    All the buying activity has got me drooling too. Be strong!
    But but but, I dont want to be strong.

Absent-Minded Professor

I have one of those, though it's still locked to T-Mobile. Nice phone, I must say. T-Mobile will give me an unlock code if I ask for one, and they wouldn't then blacklist the IMEI--that would be pretty stupid of them since I'd still want to use it on T-Mobile even if I temporarily use it on another network. And if the phone you're looking at was a) unlocked with a code provided by T-Mobile, or b) unlocked by any means prior to when the DMCA thing took effect (near the end of January, if I remember right), it's completely legal.

I'm sure AT&T would be happy to let you use it on their network as long as you pay for their service.
    Last edited by Tom LaPrise; 03-07-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    Pilot 1000, PalmPilot Personal (w/2MB "Palm III" upgrade card), Visor Deluxe, m105, m125, Tungsten E, Tapwave Zodiac 1, unlocked GSM Centro, T-Mobile Dash 3G, T-Mobile Touch Pro 2, Motorola DEFY (T-Mobile), Samsung Galaxy SII (T-Mobile), Archos 80 G9 tablet, Google Nexus 7 (2013, 32GB)

A Former Palm User

Netbrakr and Mi An - I totally understand your drooling. I believe I would be content with my phone for a much longer time if it wasn't for the horrible data speeds that I'm experiencing.

Anyway - enjoy our friends experiences here on BH and it may give you extra time to make the best decision on what phone would be best for you!

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk
    scjjtt
    Palms & Phones: III, IIIx, IIIxe, Tunsgen E, TX, Centro -> Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700) -> Samsung Galaxy S4
    Tablet & Chromebook: HP TouchPad 32 GB Tablet and an Acer C7 320 GB Chromebook
    Laptop: TOSHIBA Satellite A305; Processor: Intel Core Duo T5800 @ 2 GHz; Memory: 3 GB & 230 GB drive

Gone With The Wind

Tom: I think you are right, because when I took a look some older phones, it said the same thing, International Use Only. Like this one, 5 year old phone.

Blackberry Pearl 8120 Titanium (T-Mobile Unlocked)

So the Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 perhaps still will be one of my options.

Hookette's edgy lately

Just wanted to say, without trying to sound pushy, that with the exception of SD card storage, your wish list matches a Nexus 4 superbly. I do understand the desire for SD storage and why it is important. If you need a lot of media with you it is important. It was easy for me to give up because I've never managed to come even close to filling a 16Gb SD card on any of my devices.

However, if you want to trade switching out files for a very nice phone that can do either AT&T or T-Mobile...

Just a thought.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Gone With The Wind

Hook is threatening me to get the Nexus 4, Moderators!!! jk

Anyway, I just talked to customer rep again. And there is no real block.

Ted: Hello, my name is Ted. How may I help you?
    me: Hello again Ted. I am interested of getting the Blackberry Pearl 8120
    but what does it mean International use only?
    I thought it was unlocked
    Ted: This means this unit is subject to be blocked within the US by T-mobile due to recent unlocking laws.
    me: Hmmm...What law is that?
    Ted: A law has been put into place that restricts the unlocking of carrier branded models.
    me: no, i mean, what is the name of this law?
    Ted: Unfortunately I am unsure of the exact name of this.
    me: Can I ask where did you get that info please?
    Ted: This was information we received from our director and can be found online. Feel free to perform a Google search for this and you will have no problem finding this information.
    me: I think the director is mistaking
    Please read the last point

The Librarian of Congress has made it illegal for consumers to unlock their smartphones without carrier consent under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The White House has publicly stated that consumers should be able to freely unlock their phones without the risk of criminal penalty or any other imposed punishment. UnlockingUnlocking a smartphone enables it to be used with another carrier. For example, legally, someone cannot switch over from AT&T to Sprint unless AT&T's policy allowed them to, or unless the phone came shipped as unlocked. Originally, after the policy was embraced in October, there was a grace period of 90 days, where it was legal for someone to buy a device and have it unlocked with their carrier of choice. That grace period ended on Jan. 26. Now it's illegal to unlock your phone unless it ships as unlocked or the carrier allows it.

There is no mention about blocking from the other US GSM carriers

Ted: This has occurred a number of times, so we wanted to ensure we made our customers aware of it for their protection and well being.
    me: i see, so its like a friendly msg dont use the phone other US GSM carrrier.
    And there is no "real" block....right?
    Ted: Yes. The unit may be blocked upon use.
    me: I see. Well, then thank you for clearing this up
    Ted: My pleasure.
    me: greatly appreciated. [smile] Have a great day

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by NetBrakr View Post
    My final choices.
    The LG seems to be a pretty close cousin of the Nexus 4. You are trading some screen resolution for an SD card slot, which seems to me like a good trade. CPU, etc, seem to be very similar.

I know the SII is very popular but others here know more about it than I. I don't know the Grand at all.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.