The FIrefox browser on Android phones - Is it worth using?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The FIrefox browser on Android phones - Is it worth using?

LandSurveyor

Default The FIrefox browser on Android phones - Is it worth using?

I have just been sticking with the default browser on my Galaxy S and am reasonably satisfied with it.

But I periodically get emails from Firefox giving me tips on usage and such and this week's edition is telling me how easy it is to zoom in on small text on a smartphone browser.

Before I blindly install something else on my phone, I would like to know if anybody else is using it and your thoughts on how good of a browser it is.

At work, I use IE because it's required but at home I've used IE, Firefox and Chrome and usually have all three installed on pretty much any PC I use. All have their advantages and I really can't say one is best.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Default Re: The FIrefox browser on Android phones - Is it worth using?

It's biggest advantage imho is -- actually was -- syncing with your desktop bookmarks. But now there other ways to do the same thing; all involve Da Cloud of course. As always, YMMV
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Hookette's edgy lately

I really love Firefox on my Nexus 7, but I should give a few caveats.

One, I'm using Jelly Bean. I never used it on my Gingerbread phone because I don't browse much on phones. I'll test it out in a bit and give you my feedback.

Second, I'm heavily invested in Firefox. I have used Firefox almost exclusively since 2003 when it was called Phoenix. I love the fact that I can sync bookmarks and passwords over and jump right in using it. (Chrome will do this too, I believe). I don't use Chrome on my desktop and immediately went to Firefox on my Nexus 7 and am very happy. The caveat here is really if you aren't heavily invested in Firefox, I don't know if there's anything that makes it better or worse than the other top browsers like Dolphin.

That said' I love it. Even has the ABP (Ad Block plus) plug in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that my main phone browser isn't FF; for most things I use an older version of Dolphin (faster & more stable than the more recent ones I'd tried, but they may have been betas), since most of the time on my phone I don't need all my FF bookmarks (but they are there if I need them).
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Life is a circus!

After Hook recently posted in another thread similar info to what he said above, I decided to install Firefox on my E4GT. I've been using Firefox on my computers for a few years and prefer it to other browsers. On my Android devices, my default browser has always been Dolphin. I do like having Firefox on my phone because of the ease of having all my bookmarks synced, but I think my browsing experience is a bit better on Dolphin. That said, I really don't use the browser that much. I get most of my information through Google Reader and transfer articles to Pocket. Forum participation is through Tapatalk. Email access is through client software. Most of my general web browsing, then, is from my PC. And when I find something through my PC's browser that I want to spend more time with on my mobile device, I either send it to Pocket or bookmark it (which syncs with Firefox on my phone). One more comment: I've had Firefox on my phone for about a week or so, and since installing it, I don't have a default browser. I just can't choose.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

LandSurveyor

I guess I'll give it a try. My Galaxy S is hardly a powerhouse but I expect it will work fine.

LS, FF runs well enough on my DroidX, fwiw. And if you don't like it or it's performance, there's always uninstall

Palm Pilot

I have Firefox, Chrome, Dolphin and Boat browsers installed on my Android devices. I find myself using Boat browser most of the time. Chrome would be a close contender if it did flash, but it doesn't. It's fine for regular browsing, though. Firefox just seems to be slower and less suited for smaller screens, and I don't use it a lot even on my Transformer, although I use it almost exclusively on my Linux PC.

Regards,

Stan
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

Mobile Deity

For me, Firefox looks okay, and pretty good to use. I believe its gone Webkit on Android, when it used to be native. The problem even though Firefox is good, the competition is also that good. I believe the primary reason for using Firefox is to sync to your desktop Firefox browser. Even out of the bat, some of the phone default browsers are very good, especially Samsung's.

Personally, I use either Dolphin Beta or Chrome Beta. Note I said Beta because these are much faster than the official public versions. You won't find Chrome Beta by using the Search bar in Google Play; you have to find it by typing its name on the main Google Search widget in the homescreen. It will lead you to a link inside Google Play that actually has it. The beta version of Android Chrome is 25, the official one is at 18. Dolphin Beta, you can find in Google Play in a more straightforward manner.

IMO Dolphin Beta is the fastest Android browser there if you care about benchmarks, followed by Chrome Beta. Its not just the benchmarks, both are very smooth when it comes to scrolling and pinch to zoom.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Mobile Deity

I haven't tried it for quite a while but the last time I did I thought it was quite sluggish and I wasn't overly keen on it despite FF having been my preferred desktop browser for years because of it's add on's [def not because of speed]
    I prefer Opera as an alternative to stock browsers, like it on iOS and winmo as well.
    For android I usually end up just using the stock Samsung and HTC browsers, like DB says Samsung is fast but HTC has sped theirs up a lot over the last couple of updates and it has very good reflow,
    I probably would have tried Chrome if it weren't for getting pestered to try it all the time on Google's search engine, the Pocketnow guys were saying it's rubbish on the Nexus 4 but it seems to be pretty popular
    looking at the web browser stats