Need opinions about next phone upgrade: Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy III/Note 2?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Need opinions about next phone upgrade: Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy III/Note 2?

Ive been using an iphone 4 for the past 2 years (originally wanted the galaxy 1, but the iphone was free and the galaxy was $500, so there ya go), and its time to renew contract in February, so ive been thinking what to get next.

I was really dissapointed with Apple's decision to avoid direct competition with the current display sizes, and trying to be "original" with the weird new form factor. I read on my phone A LOT, and i really like the screen sizes of the Samsung Galaxy 3 and Note 2 (Im equally into both, so from now on i will refer to them as the same)

The problem is, They're really expensive for me right now. Since I've been using an Iphone exclusive plan, i get a much bigger discount on the Iphone 5.
    So, to get to the point, here are my pros and cons with the phones, so i can get some educated opinions to help me decide:

-Ive grown accustomed to the iOS, i have a bit of fear of change. But I like that the android OS is very customizable, It attracts my geeky side very much.

-Both are LTE capable, but the iphone's is not active (In Mexico) as of now. The phone carrier promises it will in a couple months though. Should i believe them?

-The iphone is gonna cost me only around US $300 to upgrade; The Samsung options are upwards of $650 for either of them. (MAIN concern, as im savings-depleted right now. Of course i could get them financed in monthly payments, but $650? Ouch.)

-I really like the Samsung's screen size; The iphone 5 screen, although pretty to look at, looks outdated regarding size. I like my phones with a big screen. (2nd MAIN concern aswell, to the point of considering the extra cost)

-I have an older, unlimited internet plan. If I get any other phone that is not an iphone I lose that contract and instead, i get the new one, which is only 3 Gb and then you're out of luck. There are months when i use way more than 3 Gb and months where i dont, so im partial about this point.

-Im worried that the next iteration of the iphone is gonna have that screen increase Ive been waiting 2 years for, and ill be stuck with mine for 2 more years.

-There is the option to keep my iphone 4 until it dies completely, and THEN upgrade. Right now the power button is dead, and the home button is on its dying bed, i can get it fixed for $60 and hope to get a few more months out of it.

So what do you think? Mainly its a price vs. functionality issue, but the other points are extra too.

Mobile Consultant

Default Re: Need opinions about next phone upgrade: Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy III/Note 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugovr View Post
    I was really dissapointed with Apple's decision to avoid direct competition with the current display sizes, and trying to be "original" with the weird new form factor. I read on my phone A LOT, and i really like the screen sizes of the Samsung Galaxy 3 and Note 2 (Im equally into both, so from now on i will refer to them as the same)

-The iphone is gonna cost me only around US $300 to upgrade; The Samsung options are upwards of $650 for either of them. (MAIN concern, as im savings-depleted right now. Of course i could get them financed in monthly payments, but $650? Ouch.)

-I really like the Samsung's screen size; The iphone 5 screen, although pretty to look at, looks outdated regarding size. I like my phones with a big screen. (2nd MAIN concern aswell, to the point of considering the extra cost)

-There is the option to keep my iphone 4 until it dies completely, and THEN upgrade. Right now the power button is dead, and the home button is on its dying bed, i can get it fixed for $60 and hope to get a few more months out of it.

So what do you think? Mainly its a price vs. functionality issue, but the other points are extra too.

I don't know about you, but $650 is a tough pill to swallow....over double for a Samsung over an Apple phone?!?! I'd never cough up that kind of change for any phone....but, I don't know your budget.

I'd gladly pay the $60 and fix the button....then, wait a few months until probably June for this:

The iPhone 5S Is Coming Next June In 6-8 Colors, Says Jefferies - Business Insider

Mobile Deity

$650 is a good price if the Samsung is a Note 2 -unlocked and no contract-.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Default Re: Need opinions about next phone upgrade: Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy III/Note 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugovr View Post
    Ive been using an iphone 4 for the past 2 years (originally wanted the galaxy 1, but the iphone was free and the galaxy was $500, so there ya go), and its time to renew contract in February, so ive been thinking what to get next.

The problem is, They're really expensive for me right now. Since I've been using an Iphone exclusive plan, i get a much bigger discount on the Iphone 5.
    So, to get to the point, here are my pros and cons with the phones, so i can get some educated opinions to help me decide:

-Ive grown accustomed to the iOS, i have a bit of fear of change. But I like that the android OS is very customizable, It attracts my geeky side very much.

-Both are LTE capable, but the iphone's is not active (In Mexico) as of now. The phone carrier promises it will in a couple months though. Should i believe them?

-I have an older, unlimited internet plan. If I get any other phone that is not an iphone I lose that contract and instead, i get the new one, which is only 3 Gb and then you're out of luck. There are months when i use way more than 3 Gb and months where i dont, so im partial about this point.

-Im worried that the next iteration of the iphone is gonna have that screen increase Ive been waiting 2 years for, and ill be stuck with mine for 2 more years.

I have both an iPhone 5 (personal) and a Motorola Razr M (work). I find that the wider screen on the iPhone 5 does wonders for reading in landscape. Sure I'd love the larger screen of the GS3 but I don't want to walk around with anything bulky in my pocket. My iPhone 5, including its case is thinner and lighter than the RazrM and is a much better phone.

I use Apple computers at home and I never have to think about sync issues. Ever. I've had Palm and Blackberry devices and I had contacts duplicating like rabbits using Palm Desktop (now extinct on OSX that no longer supports the PPC emulation extension: Rosetta), Mark/Space Missing Stynk (sic), and Blackberry Desktop MisManager (sic). I also tried Goosync and other methods to get iCal and address to be happy with my gmail account. All to no avail. In fall of 2010, I finally got sick of waiting for Verizon to get the iPhone and took the first of our 4 phone lines to At&t for the iPhone 4. Now all members of my family have iPhones and we never looked back.

Some observations on iOS versus Android:

Places where iOS is a clear winner: Calling recently dialed contacts. Access to contacts from within the phone app. Apple's app store, (even though it's slightly worse now under iOS 6). Touchscreen performance. Lightning adapter (I really detest microUSB). iCloud sync (I love working on the same spreadsheet across 3 devices and having all 3 copies automagically update on the fly). Photostream (I love being able to post a gallery of an event while I'm still at the event. And I love the option of making that gallery private so only family members can see it). The Kindle app: This is my favorite ebook reader across all platforms and I can hear about a book on the radio and be reading it within seconds. The home screen: Android's dual sets of home screens setup is a glaring mess, especially now that jellybean allows widgets on either screen. Why are there still two sets of home screens? Lock screen: A lot is made about how much better the Android lock screen is with pattern-lock, etc but tell me one thing: Why do I have to hit OK after entering my unlock code thereby increasing the number of taps required? In fact it seems like doing just about anything in iOS requires 1 or 2 fewer taps than doing the same thing in Android.

Places where Android is a clear winner: Wifi Analyzer: The fact that it requires a trip to Cydia to obtain such an indispensable app is an indictment of Apple's app approval process. Google Play: The ability to send apps to my device from a desktop web browser is a huge plus. Amazon App Store: The ability to buy apps for my Android devices using the payment details set up for my Amazon Prime account is a huge convenience. The Kindle app: On Android it's easier to buy books without a trip to a browser. Bluetooth stack: If I want a vehicle diagnostic adapter, I can get one for $15 that works with Android but I'm faced with spending $100 or more for an iOS compatible model because Apple locked down the bluetooth stack on iOS.

As for waiting for the next Apple product? I waited too long. Way too long. I suffered with A Treo 755p and a Blackberry 8830 when I could have been walking around with an iPhone since 2007. I'll never make that mistake again. Get the product you need when you need it rather than being stuck with a less than optimal (or in many cases awful) device for a whole 2 year contract. The only caveat to this is if you are buying on the eve of a new product launch, perhaps waiting a few weeks is worth it. If your present phone isn't working well, waiting a few months is almost never worth it.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by r0k View Post
    The home screen: Android's dual sets of home screens setup is a glaring mess, especially now that jellybean allows widgets on either screen. Why are there still two sets of home screens? Lock screen: A lot is made about how much better the Android lock screen is with pattern-lock, etc but tell me one thing: Why do I have to hit OK after entering my unlock code thereby increasing the number of taps required? In fact it seems like doing just about anything in iOS requires 1 or 2 fewer taps than doing the same thing in Android.
    Not sure what you're talking about here r0k, every android device I've owned [no Motorola though] has been able to have the same home screen setup as iOS, you don't have to use widgets at all [I don't and never have], you don't have to use a pattern to unlock, you don't have to use a lock screen at all [I don't and never have], I disagree with the more taps thing, with iOS you have to exit whatever you're doing and go to the global system settings to change anything or turn radios'/GPS on and off from within that same system settings screen, my dialer shows the last 4 calls by default without having to scroll or tap anything extra, want all recent calls....scroll up the 4, the dialer disappears and get a full screen of recent calls....hit the one you want and it dials.

@Hugovr, half the price is pretty hard to overlook.Virinder's suggestion to fix what you have and wait is an option but I can't see a screen size increase on the cards with iPhone's any time soon.

If you don't like change it's probably best to stick with what has worked for you and what you know....is cheaper....and of higher quality, unless the restrictive nature of iOS really bothers you....or the bigger screens are too much to overlook, remember there is a significant nuisance value when not using the device on something like a Galaxy Note v an iPhone because it's twice the physical size device that you're carrying around, I really liked using my Note 1 but didn't like carrying it around in my pockets so much

Mobile Deity

The Note 2 to my experience, is an absolute blast. There is no word to describe using it. Its miles away from the first note, and even how good the Galaxy S3 is, the Note 2 is superior in every department. Built in software, speed, display, battery life, body build. The only reason for getting an S3 over the Note 2, i preferring the S3 size and its because its cheaper.

After using the Note 2 for a while, I tend to think of it less than a phone and more as a personal hand held assistant, a true PDA, with a voice and text function. Its not the device for the Android purist, but for everyday usability, it has all these little thoughtful details that spring right up at the correct moment that makes a difference in your daily life.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Flying Dog (...duh...)

Quote Originally Posted by r0k View Post
    Calling recently dialed contacts. Access to contacts from within the phone app.
    @rOk: Not sure if this is new to ICS/Jellybean or (I suspect) just to Samsung, but Contacts and Phone app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and my wife's Galaxy S3 is basically one app -- across the top are four buttons for "Phone", "Recent", "Favorites", and "Contacts". So, if nothing else, Samsung seems to have replaced that long-time outstanding feature (probably another reason why Apple keeps suing them).

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    The Note 2 to my experience, is an absolute blast. There is no word to describe using it. Its miles away from the first note, and even how good the Galaxy S3 is, the Note 2 is superior in every department. Built in software, speed, display, battery life, body build. The only reason for getting an S3 over the Note 2, i preferring the S3 size and its because its cheaper.

After using the Note 2 for a while, I tend to think of it less than a phone and more as a personal hand held assistant, a true PDA, with a voice and text function. Its not the device for the Android purist, but for everyday usability, it has all these little thoughtful details that spring right up at the correct moment that makes a difference in your daily life.
    I completely concur on the Note 2, Drillbit! This is hands-down the most amazing electronic device I've ever owned, and I've pretty much owned (or at least was forced to support) them all. My only temptation to choose the S3 over the Note 2 was that Sprint was having a buy one get one free sale on the S3, and my pre-teen son is starting to get to the point in after-school activities that he really needs a phone. If I had never touched the Note 2, I wouldn't really know what I was missing because the S3 is also a very nice phone. However, now that I have dinked around with the Note 2 for 2+ days now? No way I'd give it up for a S3...at least not willingly.
    Samsung GALAXY Note II
    Samsung GALAXY Note10.1 2014 Edition
    Samsung GALAXY S III (x3)

acer Iconia A500
    nookcolor (x4)
    nook Tablet

Palm Pilot

Recalling recent calls, and accessing contacts from within the phone app isn't new on Samsung. I can do that on my older Samsung Galaxy S. I can either go through the recent call logs, which has both incoming and outgoing calls, or just tap on the Contacts icon and search through all my contacts. I thought every phone could do that. I'm amazed that anyone thought that only iOS allowed that.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by SGosnell View Post
    Recalling recent calls, and accessing contacts from within the phone app isn't new on Samsung. I can do that on my older Samsung Galaxy S. I can either go through the recent call logs, which has both incoming and outgoing calls, or just tap on the Contacts icon and search through all my contacts. I thought every phone could do that. I'm amazed that anyone thought that only iOS allowed that.

Been that way at least since my Nexus One. (2009-2010).
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Quote Originally Posted by SGosnell View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Been that way at least since my Nexus One. (2009-2010).
    Ditto my Droid X, had that on Froyo (2.2) in 2010
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.