Thinking of HTC, need advice!

+ Reply to Thread

Default Thinking of HTC, need advice!

Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions about this. I'm thinking of buying an HTC phone but I am unfamiliar with their products (a friend recommended that I try it). What are some of the pros and cons of HTC phones? And what phones in their lineup are considered good bang for the buck? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: Thinking of HTC, need advice!

Are you already on a specific carrier (or have a carrier preference). It will help us narrow down the field of which HTC models are available to you.
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note (fun)

HTC Droid Incredible 2 (work)

Quote Originally Posted by Radon222 View Post
    Are you already on a specific carrier (or have a carrier preference). It will help us narrow down the field of which HTC models are available to you.
    Hi there, I'm currently on AT&T though I don't have a specific preference. Either AT&T or Verizon would ideally work for me. I'm just curious about what are some of the good/bad points of owning an HTC phone versus other rivals. Specific models would be helpful but just getting a broad overview of what ppl think of HTC in general would work as well, thanks!

TabletPCReview Editor

If you're asking for a general summation on HTC and its products, I can say that, by and large, what it makes is quite good. It has one of the best Android models available today, and possibly the best Windows Phone.

Does that mean every smartphone it has made in the last 10 years is perfect? Not at all. That's why people have been asking you to narrow things down a bit so we can give you more specific advice.
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hardy View Post
    If you're asking for a general summation on HTC and its products, I can say that, by and large, what it makes is quite good. It has one of the best Android models available today, and possibly the best Windows Phone.

Does that mean every smartphone it has made in the last 10 years is perfect? Not at all. That's why people have been asking you to narrow things down a bit so we can give you more specific advice.
    Thanks for the response and yes I apologize about the lack of specifics. I guess I was just trying to get a broad sense of whether or not HTC is perceived to be a company that by and large produces phones that are sound in terms of technology. Say I'm looking for an alternative to the iPhone 5, what HTC models would be desirable (if any at all)

Mobile Deity

The HTC One S is probably the closest HTC to an iPhone5.A speedy dual core processor, 4.3" amoled display, aluminum unibody construction.16GB non-expandable storage, 8mp.
    Not a slight against the OP, but it cracks me up another person doesn't know anything of HTC, another glaring example of their total lack of marketing, yes they are sound technology wise and have been for longer the most others out there, they just don't seem to think they need to market at all.
    There's other bigger and more highly spec'd HTC's available, but I suggested the closest model to the iPhone 5 size.

HTC has been my preferred manufacturer over the years because of their materials and design, I've been annoyed with decisions they've made on numerous occasions and bought other brands, but have always returned to their products because they seem to care the most about giving the customer a high quality feeling product...a bit like apple does.
    This is a general opinion for me, not specifics.

Edit. the biggest con with HTC generally, not always, is battery life compared to the best in class, the One S has always been reviewed as having better than average battery life, I find my my One XL acceptable, but would always like more, HTC also seem to be following Apples lead with non removable batteries as of late if that matters to you.
    Last edited by weegie; 12-14-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    HTC One M7 + M8

Mobile Deity

Currently the best HTC Android phone or simply the best HTC phone right now is the Droid DNA on Verizon, closely followed by the One X+ in AT&T. The One S is only on T-Mobile in the US.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Flying Dog (...duh...)

I was very happy for almost three years with my HTC EVO 4G (Sprint), but it really depends on what you're wanting to do with it. For example, if you're the type who wants to hack their phone, root it, flash a new ROM to it, etc., HTC may not be the best choice because they really haven't been too nice to the developer community with locking down their bootloaders, etc., even when they previously publicly stated that they weren't going to do that anymore. If all you're going to do is buy a phone and use it, then I highly recommend them. The HTC Sense overlay to Android is just plain pretty and slick. There are definitely parts of even the old version of Sense that I was running on Gingerbread that I miss on my new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running Jellybean with Samsung's Touchwiz overlay.
    Samsung GALAXY Note II
    Samsung GALAXY Note10.1 2014 Edition
    Samsung GALAXY S III (x3)

acer Iconia A500
    nookcolor (x4)
    nook Tablet