I'm looking for a new phone.... - Page 59

+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: I'm looking for a new phone....

Mobile Consultant

Default Re: I'm looking for a new phone....

Looks like that leaked August 8th release date for the Droid Ultras sounds about right...

Verizon holding event in NYC on July 23 | Android Central

This would be my next phone for sure, too bad HP is denying its existence:

HP Brave Android Smartphone Image, Specs Leak | BGR

Mobile Enthusiast

Im assuming thats 5.00 MP rear camera and 14.50 MP front camera? not 500 and 1450 respectively.

Mobile Deity

From what I am hearing, August 1 might be the announcement date for the Motorola X if not July 25. It appears that Google might be announcing something on July 25, and if it ain't the Motorola X, it would either be or both with the new Nexus 7 and Android 4.3. The question in my mind is whether the Motorola X would come with Android 4.3 out of the box.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    From what I am hearing, August 1 might be the announcement date for the Motorola X if not July 25. It appears that Google might be announcing something on July 25, and if it ain't the Motorola X, it would either be or both with the new Nexus 7 and Android 4.3. The question in my mind is whether the Motorola X would come with Android 4.3 out of the box.
    Pretty sure that July 23rd will be the the Droid Ultras, and it looks like July 24th will be the announcement of Android 4.3 & the Nexus 7.

July 24th breakfast invites with Sundar Pichai going Out

I suppose the Moto X might be announced, but with a August 23rd RELEASE date on VZW, it might be too early for an announcement, especially if Google wants to release the Moto X on all carriers at the same time. Per my source, the Moto X is being treated almost like a GED device by Google (possibly as Google's answer to the IPhone), and will ship with 4.2.2, then receive Android 4.3 two months after launch and Android 5.0 around four months after release.

Back to the Droid Ultras, they will be locked (bootloaders), but lots of rumors floating around about it possibly having an Snapdragon 800 inside of it. It's probably false, though, I would bet it ships with a dual-core S4 Pro instead!!

Mobile Consultant

Never mind, Drillbit was right...Looks like the Dallas/Fort Worth factory is up & running and the Moto X is now in full production:

Motorola Teases Moto X With Inside Look at Texas Assembly Plant – Droid Life

EDIT: Looks like August 26th is when Project Mayhem goes into full effect...

http://www.androidcentral.com/memo-p...-launch-aug-26
    Last edited by Virinder; 07-19-2013 at 01:02 AM.

Mobile Consultant

Bad news, apparently the Motorola XPhone I spec'd on Page 50 has been combined with the Nova project. So, it won't be out until 2014. The now-joint venture is called the Motorola G. It will have a 5" 1080p screen, Snapdragon 800, 3,900 mAh battery, 2.256 GB RAM (256GB dedicated to Adeno 330 GPU), 32GB internal memory (no SD Card), 10MP back/5MP front cameras & will be LTE-A/VoLTE capable.

The Moto X was the phone originally aimed for October 14th, and now is bumped up to August, per my source.

Looks like the Droid Ultras & the Moto X will be all that are scheduled for Motorola through the end of 2013.

I have a Droid X already coming in the mail to serve as a temp replacement for my dying Droid Eris, and possibly a Droid X2 to follow. Not sure if I'll upgrade this year, but I'm still eager for the Droid Ultras to debut next Tuesday (July 23), despite them likely not getting the Google Experience treatment that the Moto X will likely have.

Anyone got a reasonably-priced VZW-capable recommendation that I could check out off-contract? Maybe the Galaxy Nexus or the Bionic are worth a look?

Mobile Deity

I would recommend a Galaxy Nexus. Its much more up to date than the alternatives and eventually you can put CyanogenMod on it.

Mobile Consultant

I would recommend a Galaxy Nexus. Its much more up to date than the alternatives and eventually you can put CyanogenMod on it.
    Would I have to root the GNex to run CM??

BTW, Moto X will be $99 on contract...wonder if it might be sold in the Google Play store for around the Nexus 4's price of $249 off-contract??

Mobile Deity

$99 on contract is not a bad price. Just remember what while its "midrange" by Android superphone standards, the specs are slightly better than the iPhone 5 and the Blackberry Z10.

Mobile Consultant

$99 on contract is not a bad price. Just remember what while its "midrange" by Android superphone standards, the specs are slightly better than the iPhone 5 and the Blackberry Z10.
    Yeah, but at that price, it might be better to check out the off-contract pricing & not be locked and shackled into a 2-year agreement...especially with last year's tech. The Adreno 320 GPU that comes with the particular S4 Pro dual-core chip inside the Moto X is actually quite good, though. It's the same GPU in the Snapdragon 600...

If the Moto X weren't only 16GB storage, then it'd be a real steal...but most Google devices rarely come with even a 32GB option (see: Nexus 4 8GB/16GB)...Also, @evleaks is reporting that the Moto X will have a 2,200 mAh battery, which is more than enough battery for its dual-core processor. Who knows how the "always-on" sensors will affect battery life, however.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/358774088866607105

EDIT: This is just my own feelings on screen sizes since my thoughts at the start of this thread. I used to think that 4-4.3" were the max for me, but I didn't like the penalty of foregoing high-end specs for that. I'm now beginning to be OK with 5" screens, but IMO, they MUST have on-screen buttons to cut down on dimensions/bezels. Smaller screens can have capacitive buttons, and I somewhat prefer them only due to screens getting dead spots over a while from repeated tapping. If the back button on my on-screen software keys is dead, then I'm screwed...

In terms of design, Droid Life commends the Moto X for keeping a minimalist design, with small bezels and the screen being the foremost focal point on the front of the device. I wholeheartedly agree...if you're going to have a bigger screen, you MUST cut down on bezels. And, the Moto X itself could STILL do to cut down some of the bezel on its forehead (space between speaker & screen) on the front of the device.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/20...-press-render/
    Last edited by Virinder; 07-21-2013 at 05:08 PM.