I'm looking for a new phone.... - Page 49

+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: I'm looking for a new phone....

Mobile Consultant

Default Re: I'm looking for a new phone....

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Hoping it does, I suspect the Qualcomm S600 is headed for the midrange anyway. The lowest end of the S600, the 1.6Ghz part, is just the same part as the 1.5Ghz Qualcomm S4 Pro just with a new name and a 100Mhz bump. I think its possible they can push a $300 to $350 dolllar phone in terms of no contract pricing similar to the Nexus 4, albeit with only a 4.8" 720p screen.
    OK, my Motorola phone tester insider counters our dreams of a quad-core XFON/Ghost saying:

"Ok I am going to say this for the last time the xfon is not coming with a quad core it is coming with a dual core it is a midranged device no more no less both s4 pros have the exact same specs the only difference is ones a dual core the other is a quad core also the benchmarks put it as a dual core here is the link for qualcomm showing both are identical specs except the number of cores Snapdragon S4 Product Specs

Also here is the the ini. File
    This is for RSD app to create correct phone model class
    [MODEL]
    WIFI = f100,mz604,xoom,mz615,mz615-16,mz615-32,mz615-64,mz607,mz607-16,mz607-32,mz602
    STEUMTS = mb865,me865
    MSM6X55UMTS = mb632,xt605,xt626,xt621
    MSM6X55CDMA = xt603
    MSM8960CDMA = xt926,xt897,xt907,xt901,xt1060
    MSM8960UMTS = mb886,xt923,xt925,xt905,201m,xt1058
    IMC6260UMTS = xt890

The chipset MSM8960 in the ini.file states its a dual core as well jesus u guys would think u would listen to me by now so I don't have to post this kind of information"

Remember that XT1060 is VZW's XFON variant while XT1058 is AT&T's XFON variant.

I guess if this is correct, the XFON/Ghost would definitely have to use Moto radios, as the S4 Pro dual-core doesn't support 802.11ac, which the XFON/Ghost is capable of. But, is this evidence that my insider is saying anything definitive? Is the chipset info vs. the specs accurate? What about that AnTuTu benchmark? Perhaps the name of the device was faked? Is there no chance for that quad-core S4 Pro or S600 XFON/Ghost?

Still, if true, it makes no sense for AT&T and Verizon to pick up this phone when they already have the Atrix and RAZR HD, respectively...
    Last edited by Virinder; 06-05-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    I haven't used Grafitti Pro since my Nexus One, but just for fun, I'll try it out tonight on my Nexus 4 and see if it has the same problem. It may very well if they hardwired the screen real estate setting based on old screens and haven't updated it-- which would be, I'm afraid, typical for Access. I'll let you know.
    Sorry to say, it does the same thing on my Nexus 4. It appears they have it hard coded for screen real estate based on lower resolution screens. I hope they will fix it, but I don't get the impression they have done any development on it in quite a while (hasn't been updated since October 2011), so I'm pretty pessimistic. Sorry.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

A Former Palm User

Thanks Hook - that is what I was afraid of - especially when I saw how long it has been since they have done any upgrades as you have mentioned...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    scjjtt
    Palms & Phones: III, IIIx, IIIxe, Tunsgen E, TX, Centro -> Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700) -> Samsung Galaxy S4
    Tablet & Chromebook: HP TouchPad 32 GB Tablet and an Acer C7 320 GB Chromebook
    Laptop: TOSHIBA Satellite A305; Processor: Intel Core Duo T5800 @ 2 GHz; Memory: 3 GB & 230 GB drive

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Virinder View Post
    I guess if this is correct, the XFON/Ghost would definitely have to use Moto radios, as the S4 Pro dual-core doesn't support 802.11ac, which the XFON/Ghost is capable of. But, is this evidence that my insider is saying anything definitive? Is the chipset info vs. the specs accurate? What about that AnTuTu benchmark? Perhaps the name of the device was faked? Is there no chance for that quad-core S4 Pro or S600 XFON/Ghost?

Still, if true, it makes no sense for AT&T and Verizon to pick up this phone when they already have the Atrix and RAZR HD, respectively...
    Okay, now I asked the Moto phone tester/insider about this discrepancy, and he said the S4 Pro dual-core is the same as the S4 Pro quad-core, and they are BOTH 802.11ac capable...So, I guess Wikipedia is incorrect??

Snapdragon (system on chip) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, he wouldn't give me a straight answer when I posed this to him on another board, and he wouldn't counter or dismiss what Wiki is saying directly. I guess we'll find out how everything shakes out in early July. But, I still think it's ridiculous for Verizon & AT&T to pick up this Ghost/XFON if it's only a dual-core, when they already have the RAZR HD & Atrix. I mean what's going to be an easier sell? A Droid RAZR Maxx HD for $99 or a Ghost/XFON for $199?? Both have ~4.7" 720p screens, dual-core processors, 32GB storage, etc. Only difference is that while the Ghost has 2GB RAM compared to the Maxx's 1GB, the Maxx has a 3,300 mAh battery to the Ghost's rumored 2,200 mAh battery...

Seems a no-brainer to me to save $$ and get the RAZR Maxx HD, right?? The Ghost/XFON needs a quad-core to make the purchase even remotely justifiable.
    Last edited by Virinder; 06-09-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Mobile Consultant

Found my perfect phone...dimensions are EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and it's a quad-core! At least a 2,000 mAh battery? Yup!

Samsung and HTC needs to mimic THIS for their midrange designs, & not put dual-core processors in the M4 & Galaxy S4 Mini, respectively. Neither have a 2,000+ mAh battery either...

Just a shame it's only available in Asian or overseas markets:

Xiaomi MI-2 - Full phone specifications

Mobile Consultant

Found my perfect phone...dimensions are EXACTLY what I'm looking for, and it's a quad-core! At least a 2,000 mAh battery? Yup!

Samsung and HTC needs to mimic THIS for their midrange designs, & not put dual-core processors in the M4 & Galaxy S4 Mini, respectively. Neither have a 2,000+ mAh battery either...

Just a shame it's only available in Asian or overseas markets:

Xiaomi MI-2 - Full phone specifications
    LOL, now there's an updated refresh...similar to the "S" versions of the IPhone...now 13 MP camera up from 8 MP, and a Snapdragon 600 replacing the S4 Pro quad-core!! That's it...save a seat for me on your stowaway boat, Edward Snowden! I'm China bound!!

Xiaomi MI-2s - Full phone specifications

Mobile Deity

OK, my Motorola phone tester insider counters our dreams of a quad-core XFON/Ghost saying:

"Ok I am going to say this for the last time the xfon is not coming with a quad core it is coming with a dual core it is a midranged device no more no less both s4 pros have the exact same specs the only difference is ones a dual core the other is a quad core also the benchmarks put it as a dual core here is the link for qualcomm showing both are identical specs except the number of cores Snapdragon S4 Product Specs

Also here is the the ini. File
    This is for RSD app to create correct phone model class
    [MODEL]
    WIFI = f100,mz604,xoom,mz615,mz615-16,mz615-32,mz615-64,mz607,mz607-16,mz607-32,mz602
    STEUMTS = mb865,me865
    MSM6X55UMTS = mb632,xt605,xt626,xt621
    MSM6X55CDMA = xt603
    MSM8960CDMA = xt926,xt897,xt907,xt901,xt1060
    MSM8960UMTS = mb886,xt923,xt925,xt905,201m,xt1058
    IMC6260UMTS = xt890

The chipset MSM8960 in the ini.file states its a dual core as well jesus u guys would think u would listen to me by now so I don't have to post this kind of information"

Remember that XT1060 is VZW's XFON variant while XT1058 is AT&T's XFON variant.

We have to remember that files can be absolutely useless in predicting the actual processor of the phone, especially with this one most recent example.

Waterproof S 4 variant shows up in benchmark with downgraded processor, dubbed the Galaxy S 4 J Active | TalkAndroid.com

According to the benchmark that peaked into the phone's ID data, the Galaxy S4 Active that tested had a dual core Qualcomm S4 processor.

Which didn't turn out to be the actual case as the phone is released with full quad core Qualcomm S600 processors.

Samsung I9295 Galaxy S4 Active - Full phone specifications
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    We have to remember that files can be absolutely useless in predicting the actual processor of the phone, especially with this one most recent example.

Waterproof S 4 variant shows up in benchmark with downgraded processor, dubbed the Galaxy S 4 J Active | TalkAndroid.com

According to the benchmark that peaked into the phone's ID data, the Galaxy S4 Active that tested had a dual core Qualcomm S4 processor.

Which didn't turn out to be the actual case as the phone is released with full quad core Qualcomm S600 processors.

Samsung I9295 Galaxy S4 Active - Full phone specifications
    I certainly hope so...the XFON/Ghost with a dual-core processor seems just way too much of a refresh or rebrand to the flagship RAZR HD/M line, rather than a successor. Definitely needs a quad-core upgrade, and a decent battery...but, the Moto phone tester seems adamant that it'll be just a low-end or midrange phone.

I've been considering the 5" 1080p Moto X, but don't know it's dimensions. If it's around 130 mm lengthwise, and 65 mm width-wise, then I might give it a look. I've been playing with the Droid X for a bit, and really like its size, despite the rather sizeable bezel chin and physical buttons. If the Moto X is truly a 5" edge-to-edge display as the Moto tester leaked, then maybe it's possible to have the aforementioned lower dimensions??

Shiny

I've been considering the 5" 1080p Moto X, but don't know it's dimensions.
    Everything you need to know about the Motorola X-Phone: Motorola X-Phone Rumor Rant! - YouTube
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.
    Sony VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    Sony VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.

Windows 8 questions? Start here and PM me with any further questions. Mitlov's Windows 8 tutorial; configuring Win8.1 for non-touchscreen devices

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    Everything you need to know about the Motorola X-Phone: Motorola X-Phone Rumor Rant! - YouTube
    You know this video was made BEFORE Motorola announced the Moto X, right?? Brownlee needs to eat some crow...

Moto X smartphone is real and will be launched by October | Mobile - CNET News