I'm looking for a new phone.... - Page 37

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: I'm looking for a new phone....

Mobile Consultant

Default Re: I'm looking for a new phone....

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    I could have sworn about 30-so pages back you said you'd only consider Android?
    Considering that the IPhone 5 is the only flagship phone out there with midrange 4"-4.3" size (what I'm looking for), it's hard to completely rule it out. The IP5's camera is really what has me enthralled...and if the IPhone 5S can put up a 12 or 13MP camera with better low light features, along the lines of the jump Apple made with the IPhone 4S's camera, I would be definitely interested. Granted, there are some knocks, such as the pointless bezels on the IP5, the circular home button that takes up too much room, and the fact that the 4" screen (up from 3.5" screen) just makes it taller to add another row of icons, rather than making the screen any wider diagonally or across. At least the HTC One puts its large bezels to work with dual front speakers for BoomSound.

However, in terms of storage size, most other midrange models, like the HTC M4, will only offer a 16GB storage option, which is difficult to work with without a microSD expandable storage slot. With the IP5S, there's a good chance I will be able to grab a 32GB or 64GB option, which is essential when taking lots of the 1080p HD videos that will be available with the newer cameras (HTC's UltraPixel, GS4's 13MP, etc). The video that DB posted of the guy who's flipping from Apple to HTC's One says that even 32GB is quickly filling up with Zoes, 1080p videos, etc, and the fact that the 64GB option for the One is exclusive to AT&T is ridiculous. I mean a colorway exclusivity for a carrier is fine, but an entire storage option?!?

As for iOS compared to Android, it looks like Jony Ive is taking over reins from Scott Forstall and is aiming for a minimalist revamped look, which is definitely a plus. Though, I must say, Apple is going to take a big hit if they don't release a 5" "phablet" sometime soon, or if the IPhone 5S is delayed until the Fall. Hell, even if Apple releases such a phablet, isn't the HTC One going to be pretty much what Apple was going to aim for anyways?? It really is that good...
    Last edited by Virinder; 05-01-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by Virinder View Post
    Considering that the IPhone 5 is the only flagship phone out there with midrange 4"-4.3" size (what I'm looking for), it's hard to completely rule it out.
    HTC 8X and Blackberry Z10 would both disagree. Indeed, Android is the only modern ecosystem where flagships aren't in that size range.

As for iOS compared to Android, it looks like Jony Ive is taking over reins from Scott Forstall and is aiming for a minimalist revamped look, which is definitely a plus
    I have yet to hear a single adjective applied to the iOS revamp that doesn't equally apply to WP8's metro design language.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.
    Sony VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    Sony VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.

Windows 8 questions? Start here and PM me with any further questions. Mitlov's Windows 8 tutorial; configuring Win8.1 for non-touchscreen devices

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    HTC 8X and Blackberry Z10 would both disagree. Indeed, Android is the only modern ecosystem where flagships aren't in that size range.

I have yet to hear a single adjective applied to the iOS revamp that doesn't equally apply to WP8's metro design language.
    True. But, WP8 and BB10 have a lack of apps that Android and iOS get...I'm not considering either of their platforms and their respective devices. It's probably the reason why I might have said I'm only considering Android sometime a while ago. I can see the same reasoning behind why your job might only want you to get an Android or iOS device. I'm worried that I might be put in a similar situation as well.

Right now, it's Android or iOS for me...I'd love to see BB10 make a comeback & like the Z10 itself, but the OS is so new and the company's future seems very much in doubt.

Again, the HTC M4 will definitely get a look, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with an IPhone 5S come July. Especially if they fix Apple Maps, and/or Google Maps becomes available for iOS (which I think it already is). I will be looking at the HTC M4's battery life tests particularly closely, regardless.

EDIT: The Motorola "Ghost" will be in the mix with the HTC M4 and IPhone 5S for me, depending on its camera performance. UltraPixel on the One is terrific in low light, but actually not that great in good lighting conditions. Let's see how both the "Ghost" and IP5S cameras fare...

http://9to5google.com/2013/05/02/wha...carriers-more/
    Last edited by Virinder; 05-03-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Mobile Deity

The Motorola X phone looks to me like a Nexus with the Kevlar back used by the RAZRs. That is a definite switch from the Samsung plastic or Apple/HTC Aluminum metal unibody or Nokia/HTC polycarbonate.

One of the best things on the Nexus which I hope will be with the new Googerolas, is the camera app. I am not referring to the sensor itself, I am referring to the app itself. That is simply outstanding to use.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Mobile Deity

Nexus camera software would be ok if it had burst and you didn't have to go into settings to choose between video and still, my biggest problem with the camera is the focus/image capture being too slow and inaccurate to take anything remotely relating to action or spur of the moment.

I haven't even seen a HTC One yet let alone tried one, but I'm sure if the camera is as fast as the One X or better I'd like it, certainly looks vastly improved in low light.I've read a couple of reviewers say the S4 has shutter lag compared to the One, shutter lag and slow focus equals blurry shots just like the Nexus, all the extra pixels in the world don't make up for having to delete 90% of the pics due to blur for me.
    HTC One M7 + M8

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    The Motorola X phone looks to me like a Nexus with the Kevlar back used by the RAZRs. That is a definite switch from the Samsung plastic or Apple/HTC Aluminum metal unibody or Nokia/HTC polycarbonate.

One of the best things on the Nexus which I hope will be with the new Googerolas, is the camera app. I am not referring to the sensor itself, I am referring to the app itself. That is simply outstanding to use.
    Apparently, the back is carbon fiber and might be customizable (kevlar, polycarbonate, etc.)

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by weegie View Post
    Nexus camera software would be ok if it had burst and you didn't have to go into settings to choose between video and still, my biggest problem with the camera is the focus/image capture being too slow and inaccurate to take anything remotely relating to action or spur of the moment.

I haven't even seen a HTC One yet let alone tried one, but I'm sure if the camera is as fast as the One X or better I'd like it, certainly looks vastly improved in low light.I've read a couple of reviewers say the S4 has shutter lag compared to the One, shutter lag and slow focus equals blurry shots just like the Nexus, all the extra pixels in the world don't make up for having to delete 90% of the pics due to blur for me.
    Saw a camera review of the HTC One, IP5, and GS4.,,

There was a test shot of running water in a fountain. The One's shot was perfect, and you could see a lot of detail in each drop. The IP5 was decent, but a bit streaky. The GS4's shot was pretty blurry.

Definitely the One has the best shutter speed, and it fares well in low light, but in good or bright lighting conditions, the pictures become overexposed.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-575...-one-iphone-5/
    Last edited by Virinder; 05-04-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Mobile Consultant

The future of Moogle (per a Moto phone tester)

Motorola X phone
    CPU: Snapdragon s4 prime 1.7 GHz
    Memory: LPD DDR3 2 GB
    Display: 1080p captivate touch display
    Display size: 5.0 edge to edge
    Screen: Corning gorilla glass 3
    Storage: 16/32 GB variants (no SDcard slot)
    Battery: non removable 3500 mAh li-ion
    Cameras: front 5 mp camera rear 10 mp
    Recording: front 720p rear 1080p
    Radio: 4GLTE/CDMA (VoLTE capable)
    Form factor: Jet black aluminum body with rubberized plastic back cover
    Estimated release: mid to end of Q3 2013

Motorola ATOM
    CPU: Intel ATOM quad 2.5 GHz
    Memory: LPD DDR3 2 GB
    Display size: 5.0 edge to edge
    Storage: 32 GBs w/ SDcard slot 64 GBs
    Battery: non removable 3200 mAh li-ion
    Cameras: front 8 mp camera rear 10 mp
    Recording: front 1080p rear 1080p
    Radio: VoLTE
    Form factor: Brilliant silver metal body with nano coating plastic back
    Estimated release: Q4 2013 to Q1 2014

Motorola Nova
    CPU: Snapdragon 800 2.0 GHz
    Memory: LPD DDR3 3 GB (1 GB dedicated GPU RAM)
    Display size: 5.2 edge to edge
    Storage: 64 GB (no SD card slot)
    Battery: removable 3200 mAh li-ion
    Cameras: front 5 mp camera rear 8 mp high resolution 1280x1080p
    Recording: front 1080p rear 1080p
    Radio: VoLTE
    Form factor: gun metal aluminum body with rubberized bumpers with water proof nano coated removable back
    Estimated release: mid to end of Q2 2014

Notice the S4 Prime in the XPhone, the Intel processor in the Atom, and we won't see the Snapdragon 800 until mid-2014?!?

Mobile Deity

That is probably because the phones has a certain development time cycle lag. A flagship phone that is usually coming to the market today tends to reflect the cutting edge of available technology 6 months before. In the case of Googerola, it feels remarkably long, but then again, the iPhone tends to have long development cycles as well. On the other hand, both HTC and Samsung are pretty quick to the market but to achieve that you need to allow a tolerable level of imperfections on the device, as you don't want to spend 2 to 3 months trying to refine that remaining 5 to 10%.

This is also the reason why the Nexus phones don't reflect the cutting edge of technology like Samsung Galaxy do, despite the Galaxy Nexus being the second phone to have a 720p screen (the HTC Rezound the first) and the Nexus 4 the second phone to have the Qualcomm S4 Pro (the Optimus G being the first, and the Nexus 4 is derived from that). But as you can see the Galaxy Nexus came out just around the era when quad core devices are about to be introduced, and the Nexus 4 came right about the time when the first 1080p screen phones (Droid DNA) was about to be introduced as well.

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Virinder View Post
    Saw a camera review of the HTC One, IP5, and GS4.,,

There was a test shot of running water in a fountain. The One's shot was perfect, and you could see a lot of detail in each drop. The IP5 was decent, but a bit streaky. The GS4's shot was pretty blurry.

Definitely the One has the best shutter speed, and it fares well in low light, but in good or bright lighting conditions, the pictures become overexposed.

Samsung Galaxy S4 shootout versus HTC One, iPhone 5 | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    The kind of pictures I like to take are close up flower shots. The Droid DNA tends to suffer from that, with overexposure. On the other hand, it ends to make outstanding architectural or nature shots (landscape, buildings, etc,.). The Nexus 4 is truly outstanding with macro like closeup shots, followed by the Note 2.