I'm looking for a new phone.... - Page 26

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: I'm looking for a new phone....

A Former Palm User

Default Re: I'm looking for a new phone....

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Crop, file saving, editing, and uploading all via Chromebook.
    Nice work there Drill via your Chromebook!

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk
    scjjtt
    Palms & Phones: III, IIIx, IIIxe, Tunsgen E, TX, Centro -> Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700) -> Samsung Galaxy S4
    Tablet & Chromebook: HP TouchPad 32 GB Tablet and an Acer C7 320 GB Chromebook
    Laptop: TOSHIBA Satellite A305; Processor: Intel Core Duo T5800 @ 2 GHz; Memory: 3 GB & 230 GB drive

Mobile Consultant

Now this is for the Galaxy S4. Note how the R970, presumably the US Cellular version has the 1.89 for its Ghz. That likely is the Qualcomm S600 part.

But the i959 (the probable Verizon one) has a straight 1.8Ghz like the E300K (Korean carrier version) and the I9500 (generic international version). That points to all three having the same chip.

My Antutu app also shows the same details for the I9500 as the Chinese site, so the specs are not faked.

Okay, I understand how clock speeds are different between processors, and how you could say having the same clock speeds and the international version could indicate them having the same processor. But, what is it that points to the i959 being Verizon, and not say, AT&T?? And, how did you figure the R970 was likely for US Cellular, and not some other carrier?

Thanks for all this clarification...

Mobile Deity

First you need to understand the concept of clock stepping. Processor clocks are set based on specific increments. They don't do a fine step like .1. The increment is a divisor of the clock the main system board uses. Different processors have different increments of clock stepping.

The second is that Samsung has a specific code for its devices.

GT-i is for international generic GSM version.
    GT-N for Note
    GT-P for tablet
    GT-S for low or midrange phone

SGH-i is for AT&T.
    SGH-T is for T-Mobile.
    SCH-i is for Verizon.
    SPH-D is for Sprint.
    SCH-R is for US Cellular. Or MetroPCS.
    SHV is Korean carrier. The next letter like E indicates which carrier it belongs to. There are 3 Korean carriers.
    SC - NTT Docomo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Mobile Deity

Samsung N7100 Galaxy Note2 OEM White midplate3.jpg
    When he took the rim, note it had a solid thunk when it touched the table. That part of the Note 2 is much more substantial than the S3. It should be metal frame with a thin layer of plastic. The contacts, multiple ones at that, should be located just inside the edges. They need to ground to something metal. There should also be flat electrical pathways from the contacts to the frame.

Crop, file saving, editing, and uploading all via Chromebook.
    The antenna is the flex cable between the top and bottom boards, it's plainly visible, the parts list even says it's the antenna.On looking further it does have some bits of brass and connectors op the top but don't look anything like connected to some big metal ring surrounding the periphery [see pic]

The part costs $13 for a complete intermediate housing, pretty cheap for the manufacturing process you are advocating.

The guys on the pocketnow website keep going on about the S4 having S-pen capability but no silo or included S-pen, the only thing I could think of worse than an S-pen stylus is an S-pen with nowhere to put it.
    I'll have little interest if it looks like the S3 anyway but I imagine Mi An might be interested if the wacom tech makes it's way on there.
    Last edited by weegie; 03-12-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: pic
    HTC One M7 + M8

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by weegie View Post
    Samsung N7100 Galaxy Note2 OEM White midplate3.jpg

The antenna is the flex cable between the top and bottom boards, it's plainly visible, the parts list even says it's the antenna.On looking further it does have some bits of brass and connectors op the top but don't look anything like connected to some big metal ring surrounding the periphery [see pic]

The part costs $13 for a complete intermediate housing, pretty cheap for the manufacturing process you are advocating.

The guys on the pocketnow website keep going on about the S4 having S-pen capability but no silo or included S-pen, the only thing I could think of worse than an S-pen stylus is an S-pen with nowhere to put it.
    I'll have little interest if it looks like the S3 anyway but I imagine Mi An might be interested if the wacom tech makes it's way on there.

There are multiple antennas on the device. Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS and multiple ones for the main radio itself. You see the things in the two corners of the phones. That is some of them. Antennas should be clustered just beneath the rim at both the top and the bottom of the phone. That is why holding them in a certain fashion creates the "death grip". All these antennas need to be insulated from each other.

An antenna cannot be brass or aluminum, but a strip of ferro magnetic material. That is the only way radio wave is converted into electric signals. That is for the receiver. The transmitter should be dielectric. Something like two pieces of metal with an insulating material between them.

Every device needs a ground, which has to be a piece of metal to absorb static electrical charges. Antennas are particular prone to static electrical charges. The ground needs only to be conductive and not necessarily ferro-magnetic.

Whoever gave you the idea that metal is expensive? Its not. Its cheap. Especially aluminum and iron. 13 dollars can buy you a significant amount of aluminum or iron fittings in a hardware store.

The most expensive piece of metal used on a phone should be a magnesium frame. That is usually a silvery color if its not painted, and its as light as plastic. It would light up like fireworks if you burn it. When I mean frame, I mean it should be holding up the screen.
    Last edited by Drillbit; 03-12-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Mobile Consultant

First you need to understand the concept of clock stepping. Processor clocks are set based on specific increments. They don't do a fine step like .1. The increment is a divisor of the clock the main system board uses. Different processors have different increments of clock stepping.

The second is that Samsung has a specific code for its devices.

GT-i is for international generic GSM version.
    GT-N for Note
    GT-P for tablet
    GT-S for low or midrange phone

SGH-i is for AT&T.
    SGH-T is for T-Mobile.
    SCH-i is for Verizon.
    SPH-D is for Sprint.
    SCH-R is for US Cellular. Or MetroPCS.
    SHV is Korean carrier. The next letter like E indicates which carrier it belongs to. There are 3 Korean carriers.
    SC - NTT Docomo

Thanks for this, that second bit really connected the dots...

Mobile Deity

There are multiple antennas on the device. Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS and multiple ones for the main radio itself. You see the things in the two corners of the phones. That is some of them. Antennas should be clustered just beneath the rim at both the top and the bottom of the phone. That is why holding them in a certain fashion creates the "death grip". All these antennas need to be insulated from each other.

An antenna cannot be brass or aluminum, but a strip of ferro magnetic material. That is the only way radio wave is converted into electric signals. That is for the receiver. The transmitter should be dielectric. Something like two pieces of metal with an insulating material between them.

Every device needs a ground, which has to be a piece of metal to absorb static electrical charges. Antennas are particular prone to static electrical charges. The ground needs only to be conductive and not necessarily ferro-magnetic.

Whoever gave you the idea that metal is expensive? Its not. Its cheap. Especially aluminum and iron. 13 dollars can buy you a significant amount of aluminum or iron fittings in a hardware store.

The most expensive piece of metal used on a phone should be a magnesium frame. That is usually a silvery color if its not painted, and its as light as plastic. It would light up like fireworks if you burn it. When I mean frame, I mean it should be holding up the screen.
    That's why I posted the picture, but they sure as heck don't surround the device with this metal ring you keep going on about...do they?
    Ok yes, unlikely brass, more likely gold plated steel for the contacts and aluminum or silver plated tin/Al for the antennas connected to them, whatever, I don't care and don't know because I don't have it in front of me and I'm not an electronics engineer, the point being, where's the metal ring going around the device that makes it feel so many times more solid than the S3....which is what I do care about in context to my original point.

I didn't say the metals and volumes they would likely use would be expensive, I said manufacturing process, specifically meaning the added complexity in molding the plastic including a structural hidden metal band that acts as the antenna inside such a thin walled part as you were suggesting.

You don't need to tell me about metals or engineering plastics ex google thanks, I have an Mech engineering degree and a mechanical engineering trade with plenty of hands on experience, yes, I'm sure we all did the burning of Mg ribbon trick in science at high school

Mobile Deity

That metal rim you see there makes the Note 2 feel more substantial than the S3. And yes it goes around the entire phone. Your pics and videos don't show enough it. And really what makes you think wrapping plastic around metal is so expensive? This is freaking common on all electronic devices. Its called insulation.

I happen to own BOTH devices and you want to question my hands on experience with that?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Virinder View Post
    Thanks for this, that second bit really connected the dots...
    When people post from Tapatalk like this, its a great way to find out what provider they're using.

On other news rumor has it that Motorola's NXT might use the Tegra 4 but take it with a bit of salt.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by weegie View Post

Even at a 5" size, a stylus would be stretching a bit. I would rather have the phone designed for maximum battery size and a stylus gets in the way of that.

Sounds to the stylus and a placeholder might be accessories for the S4.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2