New Smartphone for a 'heavy' user

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Smartphone for a 'heavy' user

Having just got off a web-chat with a Vodafone 'help' desk operator, and a phone chat with one, I'm extremely confused and disheartened.

My first forays into the smartphone world were my blackberry storm and then an upgrade to the HTC Desire HD. I was unimpressed with the battery life of each, but a USB cable on my work PC meant I was never too far from a charge. Then my Desire HD fell out of my pocket on the bus (first phone I've ever lost) and I had to buy a Wildfire S from a co-worker.

OH MY GOD it's terrible. It's constantly moaning that I'm full. I've got a 4G Micro SD in it, and it's not rootable without hardware. My Desire HD I rooted myself and deleted all the useless stock apps. I don't know whether the Desire never moaned because it had more internal memory, or because I deleted ****e, but it's tedious.

Every day without fail it moans that I'm out of memory and can't receive any more messages. My contacts are clocking in at 30MB! I'm forever clearing all cache, but I can't use Twitter, Facebook, Draw Something, myfitnesspal and Google reader without it crapping itself.

I'd prefer something that worked with google, as it was a lifesaver when I thought my contacts had gone, and I like the way it integrates my accounts automatically, but I've been looking at the Galaxy S2, iphone and Note, but the plebs at Vodafone won't sell me the Samsung's without a contract. I am willing to pay up to £400 for something I can use properly, meaning that despite my (I think) non-heavy use, I don't want it to whinge!

If I can also install Couch to 5k and put some MP3s on to run to, I'd be over the flippin' moon.

thanks for sitting through that, I appreciate any help!

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Default Re: New Smartphone for a 'heavy' user

Welcome to Brighthand!

From their mobile website, they don't seem to offer much for PAYG but have a ton for contract items

Have you considered ebay, or something along those lines? do they (Vodafone) sell refurbished?

good luck
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

I will happily buy from anywhere (phones 4 u, carphone warehouse, Handtec, Expansys) so purchasing from Vodafone isn't necessary.

I did forget to mention, I called the vodafone 'sales' line and got told to look at the website (I prefer talking to actual people and being interactive, hence posting here) and the guy on the site live chat informed me I couldn't purchase these handsets, and suggested the Wildfire S. I laughed, made my apologies and left the chat.

Not sure what you meant by needing hardware to root what you have now, but this link on xda-developers is a tutorial; all it mentioned was needing external memory card in FAT32 format

[TUTORIAL][ROOT] How to root your HTC Wildfire S? - xda-developers
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

As that page describes, you need your phone to be S-Off. When I was trying the only way to get S-off was with a cable. Now that HTCdev have released ways to S-off your phones, it is possible. I don't see why I should have to (bloody bloatware) but that's a relatively new thing, I think this info was released in 2012.

Did the Desire have a proprietary cable? or does the Wildfire? I assumed that both were microUSB connectors (assumptions can be dangerous things… )

Anyone got a suggestion which out of the three phones I mentioned I should try?

Yes it's a microUSB cable, but I don't want to fudge around for an hour cracking my phone, I've just come into some money and I want to purchase a new item for myself as I've spent more than enough time wrestling with this one.

Mobile Deity

The Note is massive compared to the other two, also the heaviest and falls out of your pocket easily when you sit down.You run so it is the least suitable imo.Having said that, it runs twice as long as the other two on battery, it really is quite amazing as it's powering such a large and high resolution screen.

The iPhone comes with almost zero useless software and is great for someone who doesn't want to fiddle with a device, it will break the easiest of the three without a case if dropped on concrete, it is the smallest [not by that much over the Galaxy SII I9100 version] but has a lot smaller screen as well.

The SII [I9100 version] is very easily rootable using the zergrush method, you're familiar with xda developers so you'll be able to find that easily and remove what you don't want, in my opinion it is the best compromise of the three devices you listed as far as size/screen, it is also the thinnest and lightest [good for running and activity]

I sold my Note yesterday to a work mate and will be getting my SII back from my sister, so still have access to all three if you want me to get specific about any differences.

All mine are unlocked and use Vodafone NZ prepaid sim so don't have carrier bloat on them, but there's still social networking stuff installed on the samsung models which require rooting to remove

Mobile Deity

If you can get the HTC One X right now, get it.

The Note is best if you live in a country with cold weather. Its much easier to slip the Note into a coat pocket than on your pants. Also, if you are using gloves to keep your hand warm, you can use the stylus, as capacitive screens have problems working when you got gloves on.

My niece has a Wildfire and she's complaining about memory errors. I am giving her my Desire Z, which has ample memory.

The other heavy duty phone I could recommend is the MAXX, also known athe Droid RAZR MAXX in Verizon but maybe sold soon internationally as the RAZR MAXX. They put that enormous 3300mah battery to handle the LTE demands and it does it quite well, and on a GSM situation, that battery will go even farther.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Banned

Weegie, why'd you give up the Note? Too big?