Upgrading to 4G - Is it worth it?

View Poll Results: Are you using 3G or 4G?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm using 3G

12 80.00%
  • I'm using 4G

3 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brighthand Site Admin
    New York, no not the city, up near the Adirondacks

Default Upgrading to 4G - Is it worth it?

Iíve read a lot of articles about 4G and watched innumerable commercials about it, which usually involve lightning striking something. I get it, lightning imagery for lightning fast speeds. Currently, Iím trapped in a 3G world as I have an iPhone4 with Verizon. So for those of you with 4G, is it worth it to upgrade my phone just to be able to use 4G? Is the speed upgrade really noticeable? Are you seeing your billing rates increasing because of it? Is anyone in the same boat, wondering whether itís worth it?
    The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~Joseph Joubert, Pensťes, 1842
    Follow Me on Twitter: @ChrisLeonard
    Follow the @TechGuideForums Twitter Feed
    Check out our TechnologyGuide Facebook Site

That's all folks...

Default Re: Upgrading to 4G - Is it worth it?

3G on my Sprint Touch Pro2. If I go 4G (which isn't even available where I live yet (but they'll gladly sell me a 4G device)) my bill goes up $10 a month. Paying for a service I can't even use. Last month, I used 4GB of data on 3G. I have an unlimited data plan. If I switch to 4G, I still will have unlimited data.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

No 4G coverage where I need it, working away from home. And based on my experience w/ 3G battery life (somewhere between poor & awful), I wouldn't go to 4G if it was available at this time. just my 2Ę
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Palm Pilot

The area I work in only got 3G coverage a few months ago. Before that, it was only EDGE, and many places around still don't have 3G. So no, having a 4G device is not worth much to me.
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

Life is a circus!

3G here, but I have faster WiFi at home. Turns out the crap on the internet is just faster crap at higher speeds.

Seriously, I read news online. I don't even read at 3G speeds. And stream videos? I have streamed Netflix by tethering my Nook Color to my TP2, and the quality if just fine. But I prefer playing movies locally, not streaming.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Brighthand Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by CLeonard View Post
    Iíve read a lot of articles about 4G and watched innumerable commercials about it, which usually involve lightning striking something. I get it, lightning imagery for lightning fast speeds. Currently, Iím trapped in a 3G world as I have an iPhone4 with Verizon. So for those of you with 4G, is it worth it to upgrade my phone just to be able to use 4G? Is the speed upgrade really noticeable? Are you seeing your billing rates increasing because of it? Is anyone in the same boat, wondering whether itís worth it?
    Truth be told... I would say that 4G is overrated.

Yes, it's blisteringly fast. The speed bump over 3G isn't exaggerated--I've actually gotten easily 12-14 megabits in just an off the cuff speed test in the Buffalo suburbs.

That said, you're talking about trading off a considerable amount of battery life for 4G, and I'm not sure what you get is really worth the improvement. Unless you do a lot of HD video streaming, or download some really big files, I'm not sure what you can do on 4G that you can't on 3G. The speed difference in web browsing isn't going to save you hours a day, and you can exhaust your data ration just fine on 3G without needing to be able to do it within 30 minutes like you can on 4G.

Mobile Enthusiast

Unless the following issues are fixed, there's no point getting a 4G.

It's anti-technology: Apple keeps rejecting new features other manufacturers are implementing—like using a phone as a wi-fi hot spot—because they're too expensive. Know what else is expensive? An iPhone.

No Flash: the fact is that iPhone users can't see the whole web, and Android users can.

Its multitasking sucks: Ever tried instant messaging on the thing? Enough said.
    The headphones suck: Again, Apple charges premium prices, so why these “offensively bad” bargain-basement earbuds?

It's not a phone: “It's a computer that happens to have a phone bolted on.” It's uncomfortable to talk on for long periods and gets at best mediocre reception.

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

Not using 3G nor 4G. I can't join the poll. There is plenty of 3G coverage from at least 4 carriers over here, but I don't have a 3G device, nor I currently long for one. Not sure about the current status of 4G. GPRS gives me what I want or need mobile, and that's it. The moment I consider a 3G device, pretty much I'll have to think about ditching PAYG as well.
    Last edited by hal; 02-20-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

I have a 4G capable phone, but I don't get 3G coverage where I live. Mainly it was just because I felt it was time for an upgrade, and the phone I happened to want wsa 4G capable.

LandSurveyor

I could have gone for a 3g phone when I went back to T-Mobile, this time on prepaid. I got a Galaxy S instead. The price was the same so why not?

Battery life is only OK, but I'm not a heavy user and seldom use this phone for voice.

I live a short ways out in the country so only get EDGE at home, this despite the fact that I have a T-Mobile tower maybe 3 miles from my house. Guess it just doesn't have the 4G gear.

Anyway, I get 4G in town, either the ones near my home or in the city where I now commute to work. I don't think it's especially fast but certainly more capable than EDGE.

Funny thing. When I lose 4G, it always drops to EDGE. Never have I seen a 3G indicator.

Based on my brother's experience with his original Droid, I could be quite happy with Verizon 3G, which is ubiquitious, but I don't see paying the VZW tariff for something I just don't absolutely need.