600MHz, 800MHz, 1GHz, what do I need?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 600MHz, 800MHz, 1GHz, what do I need?

I'm totally new to the whole android phones shopping, and I was wondering what speed I really need. Currently I own an iPod 4th gen, and its speed is ideal. I have a limited budget, so all those insane 1.5GHz dual-cores are out of my price range. And also battery life is one of my main concerns, do most androids handle 2 hours of browsing web angry birds and stuff easily, or is battery life comparable to the iPhone 4 hard to find?

Mobile Deity

Default Re: 600MHz, 800MHz, 1GHz, what do I need?

Things like the Desire HD [Inspire 4G], incredible S, Galaxy S [1 Ghz single core models] are becoming pretty good buys these days, still easily fast enough for 99.9% of users and have great features, plus latish versions of the OS.
    I've had two desire HD's, have quite a few family members with iPhone 4's and the battery life and speed is pretty comparable, I can't vouch for battery life being data connected 100% of the time and having widgets and social networking stuff updating all the time, because I don't use it except for when I turn it on to specifically browse or get email/maps, but neither are the iPhones I've compared to which use the same network.
    My dual core sensation has better battery life [than the HD] despite only having a marginally bigger battery, it's not really any faster though either.
    Galaxy SII dual core is better as well, but has quite a bit bigger battery.

From what I've seen, Androids bad battery life is myth as long as you aren't some auto updating social network freak who loves animated wallpapers and using maximum brightness instead of auto, there's many options to extend battery life, screen brightness and poor/dropping phone signal are the two biggest power suckers I've found, so make sure you get something with good coverage where you going to use it.

It would probably help to state where you are, what carrier you plan on using to get more specific recommendations, especially as the majority of members here are in the US

Thank you. You cleared up alot for me. I was just wondering what kind of speed you need to run the OS smoothly, browse the web decently fast, and be able to play games like nova and asphalt. And as for my carrier, well, I can't afford an 80 dollar a month verizon or AT&T plan, so I'm sticking with the cheaper less reliable carriers, cricket and metropcs. Metro sounds a little too good to be true and I was also hoping for some feedback on them. But I have 120 maybe 200 later to spend on a phone, and the ones in my price range have the processors I listed. I just want one I'll be happy with that doesn't lag.

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by Rambisco View Post
    Thank you. You cleared up alot for me. I was just wondering what kind of speed you need to run the OS smoothly, browse the web decently fast, and be able to play games like nova and asphalt. And as for my carrier, well, I can't afford an 80 dollar a month verizon or AT&T plan, so I'm sticking with the cheaper less reliable carriers, cricket and metropcs. Metro sounds a little too good to be true and I was also hoping for some feedback on them. But I have 120 maybe 200 later to spend on a phone, and the ones in my price range have the processors I listed. I just want one I'll be happy with that doesn't lag.
    While I don't specifically know MetroPCS, I don't have any reason to be suspicious of them. MetroPCS, Cricket, PagePlus and many others are examples of Mobile Virtual Network Operators or MVNOs. They essentially lease networks from the big carriers and are able to offer low-cost package deals. Cricket, for instance, runs on Sprint. Where they usually cut costs is on customer service and they don't tend to offer high end phones. So, if you need much help, they may be frustrating, but the deals are real. Just make sure the network they are using is one that has coverage in your area.

Also, if you are not a heavy consumer of voice text and data and rely heavily on wifi, and you have good AT&T coverage, you might also look at some of the information in this thread. Start with the latest update. The MVNOs will work better if you use a lot of voice, text and data, but it is just another option.

Gophone plans

I would say, if you can, go for 1Ghz as that will handle anything you want to do and probably have better screen quality.
    Last edited by Hook; 01-20-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Life is a circus!

Another thing to consider is that with most (if not all) decent Android phones, you can get a second battery to carry around and swap out when one dies. That might be a benefit over the iPhone.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Oh, thanks. The second battery is a plus. I use about ~1.5GB a month, but the lowest AT&T plan can't beat metro's 40 dollar unlimited talk text and web. I just want a lowish costing phone that's as fast as my iPod (or faster) that runs android smoothly, has iPhone 4 like battery life, and is on a cheap costing carrier. And also, wifi and 4g are pluses.

Hookette's edgy lately

Yes, I figured the MVNOs made more sense for you, but just threw the Gophone plans in there as an FYI. If you have T-Mobile coverage and don't spend a lot of time talking, you might also check out T-mobile's $30/month non-contract plan with unlimited text and data, but only 100 minutes talk. Again, just pointing out, not endorsing.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

If t mobile has a plan like that, im all for it. I hardly ever talk on the phone, but I text and browse all the time. If I could have a link, that would be great. And also I believe t mobile has a much wider phone selection than cricket and metro. Thanks! I've been looking for plans like this but apparently I'm not that good.

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by Rambisco View Post
    If t mobile has a plan like that, im all for it. I hardly ever talk on the phone, but I text and browse all the time. If I could have a link, that would be great. And also I believe t mobile has a much wider phone selection than cricket and metro. Thanks! I've been looking for plans like this but apparently I'm not that good.
    This link works for me:

T-Mobile Pre-Paid
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

It looks like the t mobile prepaid doesn't have their whole selection, and the selection there only has super cheaply androids for <120.