Which Smartphone to Buy? Wifi required

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Smartphone to Buy? Wifi required

The city I live in has recently set up free Wifi throughout most of the city, so I'm looking to get a smartphone that will allow me to take advantage of this. Something that can play media files would be best, and I'll need all of the usual phone and calendar features as well.

I've been looking at the Nokia E61, though I'd need to get an unlocked version. . .anyone have other suggestions? It seems to be difficult to find wifi smartphones, maybe because phone companies are trying to avoid VOIP on their phones. All help is appreciated.

Default Re: Which Smartphone to Buy? Wifi required

You mentioned UNLOCKED.
    Am I to assume you travel and have sims for other countries/providers? This also assumes that you are looking for a phone that uses GSM technology.

Many smartphones will do all you are asking. I am partial to Windows based WM5. Nokia is Symbian based (popular in Europe and has not been as well accepted in U.S.A. but are very capable) There are also a few Palm Treo's that are GSM capable both with the Palm OS and WM5. I am not sure the Palm devices will contain WiFi in native mode. Some will require an adapter which eliminates combined use of the storage media card.

I suggest you go by and play with a few (take a test drive). Some use Touch Screens and some do not.

Brighthand Reviewer

Do you have a particular carrier in mind? I'm guessing from your ISP that you're in Canada. I don't know a lot about what the carriers up there offer, but they may have a version of the HTC Wizard. It's sold in the US as the Cingular 8125 and T-Mobile MDA, and internationally as the imate K-JAM. Another, slightly more phone-like device would be the HTC Tornado. It's sold as the imate SP5, SP5m (same hardware, different casing) and the T-Mobile SDA. The Tornado is probably closer to the E61, since it's a non-touchscreen device, though you can still do all the things that you require.

Detective/Moderator

If you are in the USA, the selection of handsets with WiFi is limited, thus you may want to go to the gray market (as you would with the E61 since Cingular offers only the non-WiFi E62).
    DT Lives in SFO...away from flying objects.
    Psion 3, Palm Pilot, IIIxe, M130, TE, TE2, TX

Don't take yourself too darn seriously.

Hello: I am new to this forum
    I just bought an 8125 from an ebay supplier and am planning on just plugging my cingular sim card into the device (I didn't want to change my existing service plan with cingular so I didn't want to buy thru them) Please tell me that will work. I wanted this cellphone because I am tired of carrying both a cellphone and a PDA with all my info in it. Also, the reason I really wanted this phone was that it comes with wifi because I don't want to have to pay for the internet service with my cellphone (i know I'm cheap). Is there anyway to arrange my 8125 cellphone so that it will only go to the internet via wifi?

Brighthand Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by sallysingsairs View Post
    Is there anyway to arrange my 8125 cellphone so that it will only go to the internet via wifi?
    I've never actually tried this, but if you simply delete the modem connection for cellular data (under Start > Settings > Connections > Manage Existing Connections) then the device shouldn't even think about going to the cellular network for data.

Smile Re: Which Smartphone to Buy? Wifi required

Yes - I am a newbie at smartphones, but not tech.
    For me wifi is an essential feature far any respectable "smart phone".
    I hope the big cigar smokers don't kill this trend.
    Got a Nokia E61i and wow, it is great.
    Browser needs a little help, or maybe I haven't figured it out.
    For cookie settings, managing secure sites etc.
    Someone tried it, and immediatly woent to AOL (Always Outrageousely Lame).
    It wanted them to change settings to allow cookies, or else (you can't come in here).

Otherwise I like it very much.
    Quite intuitive GUI, I haven't read the manual (don't want too).
    The WiFi Voip otion is way cool, I just have a unuseable UK sim in it to make it work, and use wifi for phone.

Also - the music player is pretty good, no headphone jack.
    The Nokia Nokia PC Suite is helpful, not much on-board flash.
    The phone plays tagged mp3 fine if you pre-load them in a micro-sim, and then put in the phone.
    It has an amazing speaker that really belts it out fo such a small device.
    Last edited by nixeco; 10-09-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Additions

I think I want a PDA

I asked a similar question as well. The advice I got leaned towards the AT&T 8525, but of course I listed AT&T as the available provider.

Smile Re: Which Smartphone to Buy? Wifi required

Also as to E61i or any of these, they must be available unlocked.
    I will "never" buy a locked phone.

I am still looking for a palm pc that is also a phone and wifi enabled.

Just a little stronger browser, higher resolution screen, maybe a large flash, outboard is ok though, and few more palm like things would make the Nokia just right.

I know also this is just the device the big cigar guys at cingular and verizon etc do not want to see in America.
    That's why the Nokia E61i is not available thru phone stores (never unlocked especially).
    I think eventually the lock on locked phones is going to get broken.
    I know it messes up the whole business plan if you can't go to the bank with a portfolio of monthly plans, but the rest of the world lives without them.

Wake up America!!!!

Sorry, but I failed to mention one of the big cool's of the E61i, and requirement of any smartphone I want to buy, is the choices of phone call routing.
    On the E61i, when you place a call, it asks if you want to make a cell call, a video call (haven't tried yet), OR AN Internet call (VOIP).

The choice of going voip over wifi is very cool, depending on how close you "live" to a wifi connection that will work with voip.
    And also how much international calling you want to do, as voip is the only affordable way for international.

Also this means I can use a simple pre-paid sim, and skip the internet "plan".
    Dump the cigar boyz $75 per month "plan" (to get them another Beamer).

I should work for Nokia? Oh well. I just want the "right" phone/palm pc.

It is on the way, but it may not hit the shores of America with great fanfare (puff, puff, flick, flick (on you).