Rooting the Galaxy Player with SuperOneClick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Brain stuck BogoMipping

Default Rooting the Galaxy Player with SuperOneClick

Hello all!

Probably this isn't news at all, but I'd like to share my experience rooting my Galaxy Player 5.0 with SuperOneClick. I very recently became aware of this method, and the reason I think it deserves its own thread is that it's so easy and fool-proof to apply that it may convince users to go ahead and root their devices (it did convince me!). Also, Hook asked me to detail the procedure

Here's some of my Player's tech data:

Model: YP-G70
    Firmware version: 2.3.5
    Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-G70UEKI8-CL566269
    Build number: GINGERBREAD.UEKI8

First of all, I had to reinstall Samsung USB drivers, even though my computer has Kies installed (I installed it when I got my Galaxy Mini). I was able to use the Mass Media Storage function without problems, but when I activated USB debugging mode the compuTer would fail to install the proper USB drivers. New Samsung drivers that work for the Player can be downloaded from XDA-developers here.

Second, for some unknown-to-me reason a newer version I found (SuperOneClick v2.3.3) would fail at rooting my Player. The program would freeze a few seconds into the root process. After a quick scan of this thread at XDA I decided to try an older release: version 2.2, available at XDA's SuperOneClick thread. This is the one that succeeded.

After that, it's all downhill. First, unmount the SD card (Settings -> SD card and device storage -> Unmount SD card). I have to admit I don't know why this is needed, and I haven't read through the 40+ pages in the thread, so I'll just take it as an article of faith. After the procedure is done, it's easy to remount the card, just follow the same route, and the final message will now read "Mount SD card".

Then enable USB debugging mode on the Player (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> place checkmark in "USB debugging"), connect the Player to the PC, and launch SuperOneClick. This program must be launched with Administrator privileges, and although mine already had them, better launch it by right-clicking the icon, selecting "Run as Administrator". Finally, click the big "Root" button. The procedure took about 2 minutes on my Player, and in the end the Player was successfully rooted.

I had no problem (other than the USB drivers) with this method. However, I've read that sometimes the program will fail to detect the connected phone. In this cases it's recommended to disable USB debugging and enabling it again. More information about this can be found in the threads I link to above.

That's it. The Player can now use Ad-Free, Titanium Backup, and all the other cool root-only programs.
    raspabalsa
    Palm Vx -> Palm m515 -> Palm Tungsten T1 -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm TX -> Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 + Apple BT Keyboard -> Sony Xperia Z1 + Logitech BT Keyboard

There are just four simple machines to alter force: the lever, the pulley, the inclined plane and, um, the internal combustion engine - Calvin
    Anything with a large enough engine will fly

Hookette's edgy lately

Default Re: Rooting the Galaxy Player with SuperOneClick

Thanks so much. There has always been slightly more than one click to using SuperOneClick and I wanted to make sure I was ready to go when I got mine.

Once I have this device, my Nexus One will become just a phone and PAYG Mifi. If I'm ever stuck someplace without wifi but AT&T is available and I *really need internet,I just call up and dump a PAYG data bucket on my phone and turn on the hotspot function. It will be pricey ($15 for 100Mb, $25 for 500Mb), but it will also be rare.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

Brain stuck BogoMipping

You're welcome, Hook!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Once I have this device, my Nexus One will become just a phone and PAYG Mifi. If I'm ever stuck someplace without wifi but AT&T is available and I *really need internet,I just call up and dump a PAYG data bucket on my phone and turn on the hotspot function. It will be pricey ($15 for 100Mb, $25 for 500Mb), but it will also be rare.
    That's just like my setup. Now I use mi Mini just for calls, although it's still nice to have a backup device that can handle email and web browsing. I may eventually sign the Mini to a plan with limited data (data plans are still hideously expensive here), but first I'll take a few weeks to see if I really do need so much connectivity.
    raspabalsa
    Palm Vx -> Palm m515 -> Palm Tungsten T1 -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm TX -> Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 + Apple BT Keyboard -> Sony Xperia Z1 + Logitech BT Keyboard

There are just four simple machines to alter force: the lever, the pulley, the inclined plane and, um, the internal combustion engine - Calvin

Life is a circus!

Similar to my setup with mt TP2 + cheap Sprint plan and my Nook Color. XDAndroid works in a pinch, but not well enough to replace my usual dual-device setup. The Player would serve me better than the NC, primarily because of size, added BT, and other features.

Sent from my XDAndroid GBX0B 2.3.7 using Tapatalk
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Banned

What are the advantages? (I'm not saying there aren't any, just want to know.) I'd think that rooting would be less of an issue on a non-carrier-affiliated device.

Brighthand Reviewer

Varjak, you're right that rooting has more appeal with a carrier device, since it allows you to uninstall some of the junk.

One significant thing you can do with root is install something like SetCPU or CPU Master Free to scale your processor. This allows you to either underclock to save battery, overclock for performance, or dynamically scale processor speed to meet your needs at the moment.

Another is the app Ad Free. This acts kind of like a "hosts file" on a Windows desktop, intercepting and blocking connections to online advertising servers like Doubleclick, Google Ads, etcetera, so that your device doesn't load ads while browsing.

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    What are the advantages? (I'm not saying there aren't any, just want to know.) I'd think that rooting would be less of an issue on a non-carrier-affiliated device.
    Why do you think I rooted my Nexus One (also no carrier crap)? Full backups, root empowered file managers, getting rid of Google books and all the other crap Google forces you to have,etc. Basically, once I buy it, it's *my* device, not theirs.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

Life is a circus!

Isn't rooting analogous to having admin rights on your PC? I sure wouldn't buy a PC if I didn't have admin rights.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Brain stuck BogoMipping

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    Actually, the advantages are so clear that I never stopped to think that a non-carrier device may not benefit from rooting. Ads, as said above. I couldn't press the pause button on vm player without having an ad pop into the screen. Carrierless the Player is, but still has its share of crapware that can only be deleted if you root (or reflash). Also, if you want to bypass the Market's geographical restrictions, Market Unlocker only works on rooted devices.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk
    raspabalsa

Banned

Thanks Adama. I wasn't suggesting it DID NOT help, I was only curious as to how.

Raspa, in your original post you mentioned 'ad-free Titanium;' but not that it meant all things were ad-free, so how was I to know? Is there no other way to get the Ad-free app Adama mentioned? I think I agree with Hook's premise though that the device should be 'yours' though.

As for Nexus One, I fully understand why that makes sense and said so in my original post.

Jig, in some ways I guess you're right; but most people don't extend such logic to things like iPhones, Kindles, Nooks, etc., (Yes, I know you have done so.) Even on this forum, there aren't that many that root or jailbreak some devices, though Android seems to get more of that kind of attention; maybe justifiably.