+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hook
  • 3 Post By Hook

Thread: Duplicate entries on a Hot Sync

Default Duplicate entries on a Hot Sync

I just Hot Synced my T5 to my Palm Desktop Ver. 4.1.4 on my
    Win 7 laptop computer.
    I have done Hot Sync’s in the past, on this computer, with no problems. However, today some of the entries, that were repeated to reoccur, over the course of 1 week or longer were duplicated on both the Laptop and the T-5. I did not look for a pattern to see if this occurrence was predicated by the length of the repeats.
    Somewhere on this Forum, I have read of this happening to others and I believe there was a “fix” to prevent this.

Do you thing the installation of Aceeca for Windows 7 would solve this problem? OR any other ideas on another “fix”

Sam

Hookette's edgy lately

Default Re: Duplicate entries on a Hot Sync

I don't know what the problem is, but you don't seem to need the drivers. if you did, you wouldn't get hot sync at all.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

When I tried Missing Sync and BB Desktop Manager on my Mac, I noticed I was getting a lot of duplicates. I was also getting them when I tried various schemes to sync my Mac with Google. At one point, I tried to determine if any duplicates existed from the time before I owned a Blackberry and sure enough they did. I opened Palm Desktop, back when you could run it on a Mac (under Rosetta) and sure enough there were quite a few duplicates in there as well so while it was clear duplicates were being created by my more recent devices, it was also clear I had been living with duplicates from my pure PalmOS days probably going all the way back to when I used to use Windows as my desktop OS.

Using iCloud, I get duplicates from time to time now, but very rarely. There are duplicate finders available for both iOS and Android and I would imagine there is one available for PalmOS though I don't know how currently maintained it is. I prefer to handle duplicates by hand. Since I only come across them rarely (maybe once a year or less), I deal with them entirely by hand.

I agree with Hook, no drivers required in your situation. I would avoid updating Palm Desktop if you have a version that works at all. In fact, what I'd suggest is that you look into getting wifi hotsync working. This was my favorite way to sync my TX and it is a real joy to use when it works. You need your TX and PC on the same wifi network and you need to know the ip address of your PC. I seem to recall there was a "enable network sync" setting in Palm desktop. This won't solve your duplicate problem but it definitely saves you dealing with a usb cable just to hotsync. Besides not needing a cable, another up side of network hotsync is you are no longer dependent on USB so any quirks related to usb drivers are no longer an issue.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Hookette's edgy lately

r0k, unfortunately the T5 has no wifi.

My advice at this point is to get a copy of NVBackup, a free back-up profgram for the T5 and later (NVFS devices) and make a complete backup of your T5 so you can make a complete recovery if you need to. Then fix the duplicates in Palm Desktop. Finally do a hot sync with Desktop Overwrites Handheld. Then simply monitor into the future to see if duplicates are being made again.

You can download NVBackup here:

Handy Stuff for Palm OS 5 | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

oops. i was thinking tx. nevermind.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Hook--
    I D/L the NV Backup-123binaries but, Adobe could not open it.

Adobe message, in part, file is either not supported or has been damaged--
    ie;"sent as an E-mail attachment and wasn't correctly decoded".

I guess I'll have to take another trac.

If I was sure the blank file's, on the new Palm desktop, would not be written to the handheld, I would go ahead and set the conduits for the handheld to write to the desktop and Hot Sync it>>

Thanks for your response...

Sam

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by EurekaSam View Post
    Hook--
    I D/L the NV Backup-123binaries but, Adobe could not open it.

Adobe message, in part, file is either not supported or has been damaged--
    ie;"sent as an E-mail attachment and wasn't correctly decoded".

I guess I'll have to take another trac.

If I was sure the blank file's, on the new Palm desktop, would not be written to the handheld, I would go ahead and set the conduits for the handheld to write to the desktop and Hot Sync it>>

Thanks for your response...

Sam
    It's not an adobe file. It's a zip archive. You need to unzip it using your Windows 7 file manager or winzip or some such program.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Current:

thanks Hook,
    I had to D/L a copy of WinZip. I thought it was normally one of the files that came with the computer, but it wasn't on my machine.
    I got it D/L'ed O.K. now all I have to do is find out how to use it. It's been a long time since I used the WinZip, so I have a whole new learning session to go through.

Later,
    Sam

I have got all the duplicate files on both the laptop and the handheld removed. I hesitate to do another Hot Synch until I can find out more on how to prevent the duplication.

FYI,
    Again, the duplication occurred mostly on entries that I had set up to repeat X number of times.
    No problem deleting the duplicates.
    I jusr selected the first one I found and told it to delete when it ask "current, future, or ?? I would select future and off they would go.
    Just need a way to prevent it from reoccurring!!

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by EurekaSam View Post
    I have got all the duplicate files on both the laptop and the handheld removed. I hesitate to do another Hot Synch until I can find out more on how to prevent the duplication.

FYI,
    Again, the duplication occurred mostly on entries that I had set up to repeat X number of times.
    No problem deleting the duplicates.
    I jusr selected the first one I found and told it to delete when it ask "current, future, or ?? I would select future and off they would go.
    Just need a way to prevent it from reoccurring!!
    Honestly, the only way you will probably be able to figure it out (or you may never) is to hotsync and keep watching. What I would suggest is to copy the NVBackup prc file to the /Palm/Launcher folder of you SD Card using an SD Card reader (if you don't have one, they are very useful and you can grab one for $8-10 at any Staples or Walmart). NVBackup will then appear in the Card category in your launcher. Do a full backup of your device. If everything is correct in Palm Desktop, set at least the Calendar conduit to Desktop Overwrites Handheld for the next sync. Afterwards, check to see that everything is right. If not, you can restore from backup. If it is (as I suspect it will be), go back to normal hotsyncing and just watch to see whether the problem continues.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Current: