Suggestions on a Simple Modern-PDA?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Suggestions on a Simple Modern-PDA?

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Suggestions on a Simple Modern-PDA?

First, yes I did look through the post here Looking for A PDA, Article Links Here ; but it's a bit dated.

I wondered if anyone would like to weigh in on their opinions or experience with a good, but simple, modern PDA (post 2009 if possible). Key things I'm looking for are:

Lightweight.
    Compact (fit in pocket would be nice).
    Color.
    Lots of screen room.
    Calendar App.
    Task/Todo App.
    Notes App.
    QWERTY input (either touchscreen or physical).

It doesn't have to be a "PDA" per se, but I'm not interested in a phone and a tablet may be overkill. I appreciate any ideas and comments. Thanks everyone.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Default Re: Suggestions on a Simple Modern-PDA?

these seem to be pretty well liked: Samsung Galaxy Player 4" & 5", they run Android (Gingerbread, I think, but could be rooted and upgraded) so have access to a wide number of 3rd party apps. Also, of course, is the iPod Touch.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Brighthand Reviewer

Pretty much what Rick said, but I would think that the Galaxy Players would probably be a little better in terms of "serious" use. Also, the Galaxy Player 5 is a little big and heavy, so you might want to find a Galaxy Player 4.2 instead.

Do any of these Samsung Galaxy types have a category for entries?

I set up a Medical category and flag all Medical expenses, mostly Dr. visits and then I print them out at the end of the year. From the Dr. visits, trips to the pharmacy I can calculate medical miles traveled for my income tax.
    Prescriptions and other medical expenses, not covered by insurance, Dental, glasses, hearing aids are also included.

Sam

Hookette's edgy lately

Quote Originally Posted by EurekaSam View Post
    Do any of these Samsung Galaxy types have a category for entries?

I set up a Medical category and flag all Medical expenses, mostly Dr. visits and then I print them out at the end of the year. From the Dr. visits, trips to the pharmacy I can calculate medical miles traveled for my income tax.
    Prescriptions and other medical expenses, not covered by insurance, Dental, glasses, hearing aids are also included.

Sam
    You are not really asking about a device or OS capability but whether there are apps with the capability you are looking for. here is just one possible search you could do in the Google Play store to find out..

https://play.google.com/store/search...tracker&c=apps

You can also set up your own excel spread sheet, if that is your preference. The player 5 at least comes with it's own office suite, Thnk Office.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

I was only asking if the Samsung Galaxy types had the capability to set up categories like the Palm Tungsten T-5.

Most of the Apps at the GOOGLE Store seem to be slated to Expense tracking.

Sam

Hookette's edgy lately

I was only asking if the Samsung Galaxy types had the capability to set up categories like the Palm Tungsten T-5.

Sam
    Again, that is an app-by-app question. I was using your example.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm TX > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > Nexus 7 (2012) > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco kernel.
    Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Rooted, Dirty Unicorns 7.5, Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Again, that is an app-by-app question. I was using your example.
    in a nutshell (IMO), neither iOS nor Android has all the capabilities of an out-of-the-box T5, when one is looking for comparable PIMs (personal information management) apps most especially an out-of-the-box device; categories is one glaring example, although if you don't mind icons instead of words you might get close. I didn't include WindowsPhone8 because I don't know much about it -- if it came with some flavor of MS Office, it might have categories similar to the T5. I know nothing about Blackberry.

I personally think a spreadsheet of some kind would work, too.
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Mobile Deity

Android has a version of Pocket Informant, but it falls very short of the Windows Mobile version I knew that was bundled with the HP iPAQ hx4700. That WM version gave Palm OS some serious competition.

I'm learning to get by on Samsung's Calendar app that they've integrated into the Galaxy S III and their other devices. Unfortunately, it still has no formal categories from what I can discern...for the calendar. The task list has groups. Why the inconsistency?

As for suggestions, if you must have new hardware, your choices are limited. Frankly, the best option may actually be to buy a smartphone and just not bother with actually activating it for service. This is what I was planning to do with the Galaxy Note if I ever got one.
    Current Mobile Computing Loadout:
    Samsung Galaxy S III SPH-L710 + HP EliteBook 2730p

Former Mobile Computer History:
    PDAs: Palm m100 → Palm Tungsten|C → Dell Axim X50v → HP iPAQ hx4700
    Tablet PCs: HP TC1100 → Gateway E-295C -> Fujitsu T5010

I too would love to find a modern PDA that functions as well as the classic Palm devices did. I suppose a T|X was the last PDA that palm made that will give me WiFi, but if there was something similar that included an upgraded web browser to work with modern web pages. Will have to look into the Galaxy line now, but I actually would prefer a stylus rather than a touch screen.