New to PDA - Suggestion between 2 PLEASE! - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New to PDA - Suggestion between 2 PLEASE!

NamelessPlayer,

Thanks for all of your feedback, I appreciate it. I don't want to sound undecided but I am. I am a little concerned about the Dell since Dell has abandoned the device. Question, how does the iPAQ hx4700 stack up? Researching reviews it sounds like the best! I can get them both for about the same on ebay, which direction would you go? Of course I can also get the hx2795 for about the same price but the screen differences look like it would be stupid. Like I mentioned before one use is my genealogy database that I can buy a pocket genealogist program for to run. The database is about 400mb and growing. I think I should stick to the 624 processors. I hope you can get all this and I didn't ramble too much.

Village Idiot 2.0

The essential differences between the X51v and hx4700:

- The X51v integrates the Marathon 3D graphic accelerator chip (with 16MB of memory)
    - The X51v has twice the ROM of the hx4700 (256MB vs 128MB)

Mobile Deity

More differences between the Axims and the hx4700:

-The hx4700 has a 4" screen compared to the 3.7" one on the VGA Axims, and most people who have seen both say that the hx4700 wins by a landslide, not just because of size, but because it doesn't have refraction issues(tilt a X50v or X51v up or down in portrait orientation, and you'll notice that the screen gets rather bright or dark if you're not looking at it directly), and possibly because of the way colors look. (Note that I have never seen the hx4700 in person, so I can only regurgitate what others have said.)
    -The hx4700 has a larger stock battery of 1800mAh compared to the stock 1100mAh in all Axim X50-and-X51-series devices. On the other hand, it's larger.
    -For whatever stupid reason I can't fathom, the hx4700 has its IrDA port on the BOTTOM of the unit. The Axims have it on top, where it should be.
    -The hx4700 does have a GPU, but it's only an old ATI Imageon that can only accelerate MPEG-4 video decoding in TCPMP. It won't run OpenGL-ES software, which mostly consists of games.
    -The hx4700 has this weird touchpad on the bottom rather than a traditional D-Pad. This is actually the main reason why I strayed away from it, as gaming is one of my main uses for a pocket computer, and the trackpad would be even worse than even the infernal T|T3 button layout because of its lack of tactile feedback. For other uses, however, it may not be so bad.

I found the X50v and X51v to be better FOR ME than the hx4700 because of the controls and OpenGL-ES-compliant GPU, but there's no denying that with that screen and a good-sized CF or SD card, the hx4700 would probably make the better video player, e-book/PDF/saved Internet page viewer, and the like due to its screen.
    Current Mobile Computing Loadout:
    Samsung Galaxy S III SPH-L710 + HP EliteBook 2730p

Former Mobile Computer History:
    PDAs: Palm m100 → Palm Tungsten|C → Dell Axim X50v → HP iPAQ hx4700
    Tablet PCs: HP TC1100 → Gateway E-295C -> Fujitsu T5010

Village Idiot 2.0

lol, I've used both devices, and - if I had to proclaim a preference - I'd say the Axim has a slightly better screen image, overall. The difference in screen size is hardly significant, especially since the HP seems to have deeper plastic edges around it. I speculate that any real (not perceived) differences in the quality of the screens is more likely the result of differing qualities in individual screens themselves than in the models they're mounted in.

And the battery issues aren't really an issue - who cares how physically big the battery itself is, as long as it can all be packed into the PDA and doesn't weigh 30lbs? The important factor is that both devices generally have the same running lifetime on a single battery charge.

Otherwise, I fully agree with your arguments about the axim's superiority. Especially the IrDA port (what the hell was HP thinking with that one?)

Mobile Deity

Back to batteries, both devices do have extended-capacity batteries.

Only, in the Axim's case, the 1800mAh battery sticks a bit out of the back, kind of killing the uniform look. The 2200-2400mAh batteries are a bit worse, and the 3300mAh makes it a brick.

I'm sure that batteries of similar capacity would make the hx4700 more of a brick than it already is, but at least it appears more uniform, spreading along the entire back of the unit.

And, as far as screen quality goes, that's reassuring regarding my X50v. As I said, I have NOT seen the hx4700 screen in person, so I was just reciting what I've read regarding forum posts that pertain to that device's screen-and it just so happens to be that people tend to prefer the hx4700's screen out of what I've read.

Oh, and one more thing about the hx4700-they have the upper-left corner of the device crammed with a power button, headphone jack, and stylus silo, but the upper-right corner is devoid of anything useful, like maybe an IrDA port(where it should have been in the first place!). I also haven't noticed anything regarding side-mounted buttons such as jog dials or anything like that. Shouldn't they have went through a bit more testing before accepting the design it shipped with?
    Current Mobile Computing Loadout:
    Samsung Galaxy S III SPH-L710 + HP EliteBook 2730p

Former Mobile Computer History:
    PDAs: Palm m100 → Palm Tungsten|C → Dell Axim X50v → HP iPAQ hx4700
    Tablet PCs: HP TC1100 → Gateway E-295C -> Fujitsu T5010

HP iPAQ HX4705 user

I've never messed with an axim, but I'm totally lovin' my hx4705. The screen on that thing is amazing.
    Handspring Visor Deluxe --> Toshiba e335 --> iPAQ HX4705

----------------------------------------------------

Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry!

Village Idiot 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by NamelessPlayer View Post
    .... the hx4700-they have the upper-left corner of the device crammed with a power button, headphone jack, and stylus silo, but the upper-right corner is devoid of anything useful, like maybe an IrDA port(where it should have been in the first place!).
    HP is very unimaginative in engineering/design of new iPAQ models. Every single one mounts all the electronic stuff in the upper corner. This is because (when you take an iPAQ - any iPAQ - apart) you'll see all those bits of hardware mounted on a single solid plastic-molded block which precisely clamps into place in the front casing piece and precisely makes contact with a single connector on the mainboard. If you want to replace any one of those components (headphone jack, power button, leds), you've got to order the whole block as a single piece or develop methods to dismantle and rebuild each of the individual subcomponents it contains.

The stylus silo is basically just a perfectly-shaped empty "tube"; some models incorporate a cheap spring-lock mechanism, others (like the hx4700s) don't. I have no idea why HP stuck it on that side of the unit (as opposed to the other), except that the opposite side of the unit (the more intelligent place to put the silo) is packed with ICs.

Sometimes the layout of things in an iPAQ is just crazy, and makes no sense whatsoever from an engineering standpoint. My best guess is that HP spends the least amount of time and money they can to redesign a device as a newer model, and to retool their equipment to mass-produce it.