water damaged lcd screen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default water damaged lcd screen

Hello,
    My LCD screen is water damaged. It has those "Stain" marks, and I'm worried that I'll have them forever.

Any good ideas on how to get rid of this problem? Blow dryers? Ovens? Anti-humidity mini-bags? Taking the whole thing apart?

Please fill me in.

Thanks!

Your Super Moderator
    Atlanta, GA USA Devices: Misc Palm & iProducts

Default Re: water damaged lcd screen

Welcome to Brighthand, puravidamae.

How did this happen? Is there water in your device? What is the device?
    Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.

Brighthand Forums - The Best Advice At Any Price

m130, Zire 71, Tungsten E, Palm TX, Eee PC, Aspire One, iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini-R

hi, my device is a a casio digital camera (exilim) - i posted this question here due to a recommendation to do so. Hope you can help me out!

Detective/Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand puravidamae.

You might have better luck posting (and/or searching) in Brighthand's sister forum, digitalcamerareview.com as we are PDA and smartphone oriented here.
    DT Lives in SFO...away from flying objects.
    Psion 3, Palm Pilot, IIIxe, M130, TE, TE2, TX

Don't take yourself too darn seriously.

Your Super Moderator

Like Dick Tracy said , we have a sister forum for digital cameras located here. Maybe someone in their forums area might have experience with your problem.

m130, Zire 71, Tungsten E, Palm TX, Eee PC, Aspire One, iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini-R

hey guys, the other forum doesn't seem as booming - and this seems to be a problem that affects both PDAs and Digital Cameras the same - no one here has ever dealt with a water damaged PDA screen? If so, I'm sure your advice would help me out, but I will try the other forum as well...

Your Super Moderator

When we get water damage, it's the insides of the device that are most critical, along with the battery. Cameras have other concerns specific to them. We're not trying to send you away, it's just that we're not sure how to help you & other camera owners might.
    Last edited by lelisa13p; 11-13-2006 at 02:05 AM.

Mobile Consultant

A couple of the ideas that you have are good, excluding the oven or the taking apart. It would be very hard to regulate the temperature to a safe-yet-effective level in an oven; you wouldn't want a melted camera.

Taking it apart will probably not help you, either, since you wouldn't be able to take apart the LCD elements.

The water is sandwiched in between the LCD layers, so it wants to be in there really bad. Sealing it in a bag with dessicant bags might help, but the water should eventually work it's way out over time.

It happened to me one time with an old PPC, and I just lived with the slowly shrinking water spot for a month or two until it finally went away.

Half Man/ Half Machine

Question Re: water damaged lcd screen

Hello, Im new of course I'm sure u can tell.
    My Mom bought this IBM WorkPad with black and white, or green screen from the Good Will, (sort of like salvation army) It turns on but it doesn't show anything. At one time i saw the black what looked like pixles in the corner of the screen then, another time the whole screen was black as if the contrast was up high and then it just went back to a glowing black light. One other time I was in the closet and I noticed the green blacklight was on. I can hear that it is on aswell. I see these stains where you'd use the graffiti to write, and theres also a stain spot closer to the right side. I think its water damaged.Is there something that I can do to fix it? Should I take it apart and clean it? Plz help and thanx.

Mobile Consultant

The only other thing you might try is to remove the batteries and flush the lcd with denatured alcohol. The alcohol should, IN THEORY, flush out the water, and it will evaporate faster than the water would, and not leave a residue. The problem is, the alcohol might strip any anti-glare coatings off of the lcd screen.
    Shawn Pickett

Sony Clie PEG TJ-25/U ---> Palm TX ---> Droid 2