keyboard ? bluetooth vs infrared

Closed Thread
    Mobile Enthusiast

Cool keyboard ? bluetooth vs infrared

I have been wanting a keyboard for my tx for a while, researched it once and can't remember now what conclusion I came to, so am hoping someone with experience with both can clue me.
    I remember something a while back about tx incompatiblity (or did I dream that?)
    Anyway, here is vaguely what else I remember, that I would like to be clarified or corrected on.
    Infrared is more affordable (always a serious consideration)
    Is infra red slower? is there a serious lag after typing? (I am a pretty fast typer)
    In the stowaway review, Mr. Hardy says that their bluetooth folding keyboard is not lap friendly (I would be using this out of the backpack, in the woods, where there are no tables)
    Are there other bluetooth models that are more lap friendly?
    Or should I just go with one of the older IR models that are firm.
    On my old palm 3, I had a wonderful "go type" keyboard, that was, of course, a cradle set up. It was perfect in every way...(insert nostalgia) It still works fine, and I could just use it for longer articles and beam them to the tx when I got back from the field, but the screen is so dark and hard to read.
    Thanks!

Palm Aficionado

Default Re: keyboard ? bluetooth vs infrared

The Palm Universal Wireless Keyboard (IrDA) is compatible with the TX, as is the BlueTooth version.

I prefer the Ir one, as this leaves my BT connection free to connect to my cell phone for net access. It turns my TX into a "tiny terminal".

BTW, there are many threads discussing keyboards here in the TX section. You might want to consider the recent "$5 Keyboard" thread!

WyreNut
    Sent from my HP TouchDroid.

Help Wanted: See Anyone at the HP webOS Community Forums

Mobile Consultant

I grabbed a $5 IRKB and I really like it. Mostly because it has a navigation pad that works like that on the TX. It *IS* thicker and heavier that Palm's IRKB. Be aware that there may be compatibility issues. It may or may not be related to older TXs.

The PalmOne IRKB, that I bought my Mrs. at the same time, recently quit after the batteries popped out of it while in her purse. After determining that the KB was not broken, I "fixed" the problem by deleting and re-installing the driver.

There's also the "Three Stooges Procedure" to get the Palm KB working again.

Steve in NM

Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks WyreNut,
    A $5 targus keyboard might be the thing, then, if the drivers work with the TX. Funny that, often compatiblity lists (whether software or accessories) leave out the TX, like it is the last orphan of a dying breed or something, not worth mentioning.
    Still can't find the thread about IrDA being slower that I think I remember, I have decided I am not that proficient at thread searching, however, I do end up reading some interesting stuff in the process!

Mobile Enthusiast

Sweller,
    thank you for posting that this keyboard does indeed work with your TX.
    I might just "assume" that even though mine is old, it will work because I feel lucky....a lot of the TX is that way. I used to have weird problems with mine, but I decided to respect it more, and now it behaves consistently great (hope its not listening<g>)

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: keyboard ? infrared so slow!!!

Ok,
    I came, I saw, I bought, I typed. The $5.00 Targus infrared keyboard arrived and it is cool and all, but it is too slow.
    As in S-L-O-W from the time you hit the key till it appears on the screen. I type two sentences ahead of what is appearing.
    I could graffiti faster.
    Now, I have a dumb question.... these are refurb units, and mine came with batteries in it, which are who knows how old.
    Is it wishful thinking that fresh batteries would speed me up some, or is this just the nature of Irda?
    Do I need to save my pennies for a bluetooth KB, or is there a lag with those, also?

TX lifer

Quote Originally Posted by sidetracked View Post
    Is it wishful thinking that fresh batteries would speed me up some, or is this just the nature of Irda?
    Do I need to save my pennies for a bluetooth KB, or is there a lag with those, also?
    Yes, it is wishful thinking.

I used PXA Clocker to increase the speed of the app that I am typing in (Memos) and that helps to the point that the keyboard can keep up with my typing.

Use an up clocker to increase the speed of the app you type in, not the speed of the IR Keyboard app.

The slowness is caused by the Palm TX's ability to digest the incoming IR data, not with the keyboard's ability to send it. You can verify this by typing a string of characters very quickly and then removing the TX from the keyboard after you are done typing but before the characters have printed on your TX screen. The letters will still be printing when the keyboard cannot possibly still be sending them.
    Last edited by Gregte; 05-01-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Mobile Enthusiast

Thank you! useful information, will have to try this. Memos is where I really need to be able to type "at least" normal, if not fast.

Does anyone know if the Palm Tx is also slow at digesting information from a bluetooth transmitted keyboard?

After playing with this keyboard today, I can see that it truly would allow me to be more productive, and not just a "gee that would be fun" sort of gadget.
    Part of my work requires getting a quantity of words down daily, and if I could do it on the palm, I would be much less restricted time wise. The laptop is just not portable enough for my needs.
    Meantime, i will try the up clocking.

Rob

I have the bluetooth keyboard. It responds instantly just like a PC or laptop keyboard. The only thing I noticed is that using bluetooth puts a bigger drain on the TX battery but I have had no problems otherwise.

Rob P.

Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks! RPKMA that is exactly what I was needing to know. Guess I will offer up my irda to someone who doesn't mind the lag.