WiFi question- Holiday Inn Problem

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WiFi question- Holiday Inn Problem

I travel a lot for my job (2 weeks per month). I have very little problem using my T/X wifi in hotels and other hotspots, except:

In Holiday Inn properties (Crowne Plaza, etc.), I start the browser and go into search for wifi. It comes back with a good signal, then I can't get past a blank page with this address:

http://10.61.32.1/defaultportal/logi...obile.palm.com

No matter what page I try to load, it defaults to this blank page. (Yep, the address states ".....defaultportal....")

Anyone got ideas how to get past this page?

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Default Re: WiFi question- Holiday Inn Problem

Quote Originally Posted by iwrbf View Post
    I travel a lot for my job (2 weeks per month). I have very little problem using my T/X wifi in hotels and other hotspots, except:

In Holiday Inn properties (Crowne Plaza, etc.), I start the browser and go into search for wifi. It comes back with a good signal, then I can't get past a blank page with this address:

http://10.61.32.1/defaultportal/logi...obile.palm.com

No matter what page I try to load, it defaults to this blank page. (Yep, the address states ".....defaultportal....")

Anyone got ideas how to get past this page?
    You might try calling the support for the wifi in the hotel you are staying in. This is probably some sort of screen you are supposed to click on to agree to something to use the free wifi and blazer (the browser on the TX) can't display it. This problem also occurs at panera bread.

edit:
    Be careful about so-called free wifi. Some of them are not what they seem. Avoid the ones that are ad-hoc. Ad-hoc won't get you on the internet, but it might get you more than you bargained for (on a pc at least, there's still no such thing as a credible palm virus)

Related to that, I asked Gunning if the evil twin problem at O’Hare and elsewhere was true or overblown. In this scenario, travelers see a network name called “Free Wi-Fi” or a variant when they check on available Wi-Fi. Some security researchers have checked and seen that these are ad hoc networks. Gunning confirmed that there is a virus or viruses in the wild that are tailored to advertise an ad hoc network, and then transmit various payloads, such as spam zombie software or other keyloggers, to any vulnerable computer that connects. It also “turns your machine into a free Wi-Fi hotspot broadcasting ad hoc machine to spread the virus,” further propagating itself.
    read more... (It's the boingo article way down the page)
    Last edited by r0k; 10-28-2007 at 03:51 PM.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

@r0k: what problems do you refer to at Panera? I've had none that I can recall.

@iwrbf: something else to try is to set Blazer to fast mode, so it does not use CSS (in the 2nd {General} tab of preferences, with Fast mode highlighted, have the box checked for "Disable cascading style sheets"), but do not check the box that says "Don't download images!" It may also help to set the display mode to 'Wide page mode' -- Menu, Options, Wide Page Mode . Finally, although I do not understand why, sometimes you need to do a Refresh of the hotel's initial page.

hth,
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Packets in, packets out

I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night and had no problems getting on with my TX. The only thing I did differently is that I connected to the network before I launched Blazer.
    HTC Thunderbolt, Asus Nexus 7, HTC Flyer, and oh how I miss Palm.

Note: I have never had any problem connecting and getting on the web at Panera.

Strangely, it happens almost exclusively at Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza properties.

I may try the trick of wifi connect first then start "blazer". But I think I have tried that before and no go.

I will have to try the other trick too, but I have tried the refresh trick:

"@iwrbf: something else to try is to set Blazer to fast mode, so it does not use CSS (in the 2nd {General} tab of preferences, with Fast mode highlighted, have the box checked for "Disable cascading style sheets"), but do not check the box that says "Don't download images!" It may also help to set the display mode to 'Wide page mode' -- Menu, Options, Wide Page Mode . Finally, although I do not understand why, sometimes you need to do a Refresh of the hotel's initial page."

Thanks. Stay tuned.

An "Olde Moderator" #2

I have had issues on some properties with TX as well.

Many when I have had laptop with me, perform a redirect for security certificate handshake and require you to accept terms. In these instances it is my impression that Blazer is not recognized and does not render the required page to accept terms.

I have noticed not all Holiday Inns use same support vendor, yet usually the same in a general area. Chicago sites stayed seem to share same vendor, and the Detroit area totally different group.

Country Inn & Suites, (my favorite), a Carlson property, seem to have different vendors and policies for WiFi at each location. The more metro the location the more security, often a passcode plus room number, and agree to terms screen, that do not render on Blazer. And in this case a new browser window is opened and must remain open during the session.

I suspect the Crowne Plaza type properties may provide additional security level for WiFi as protection service to clients. (not a bad thing )

Even if WiFi is offered I will connect RJ45 if available for laptop, or use lobby unit with flash drive and Pocket version of OpenOffice and Firefox if I must work and laptop did not make trip. I also, clear cashe on these units when completed even though browsers is not used, a favor for those that preceded me
    Welcome to Brighthand
    The Three Rs of Life - Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for your own actions.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates....it's more like a jar of jalapenos.What you do today might burn your backside tomorrow!"

Palm Aficionado

Two words: Pocket Router!

If ya can't get in via Wifi, usually the LAN/Router solution works for me.

WyreNut
    Sent from my HP TouchDroid.

Help Wanted: See Anyone at the HP webOS Community Forums

An "Olde Moderator" #2

Quote Originally Posted by WyreNut View Post
    Two words: Pocket Router!
    That is an option if room is wired for hard connection. I am finding more of the established hotels have opted either for no Internet Service, (resorts), or WiFi to save expense of outlets, cabling, switch gear, and cabinets.

There is one property in which I stay, I must request them to patch my room to the switch, pay $5 extra for the visit, and if the switch is full, will have to wait a present quest to check out before option is available. Not all sites promoting internet access, do!
    Welcome to Brighthand
    The Three Rs of Life - Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for your own actions.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates....it's more like a jar of jalapenos.What you do today might burn your backside tomorrow!"

Mobile Enthusiast

I've stayed at Crowne Plaza motels several times and had no problem connecting my TX, though as some of you may remember, I've had a number of problems elsewhere. If I were you, I'd contact the front desk at the Crowne Plaza and see whether there's someone who can help.

At Panera, once I realized I had to deal with an intro screen first, I was able to connect.

An "Olde Moderator" #2

oh, oh, my bad.

I have on occasion found it necessary to remove the service from my TX and then search for it again. And then connect to the new found service.

I have had this issue frequently, that the service is found, but connection never completes. If same named service, it may not be same handshake functions for completion of the link.
    Welcome to Brighthand