Car Charger Overcharging the Battery?

Closed Thread
    TX Enthusiast

Default Car Charger Overcharging the Battery?

A guy at Verizon was telling us that cell phone batteries should be charged every night, that they can't overcharge because the battery charger shuts itself off when the charge is full - but that using a car charger would decrease the life of the battery because car chargers don't have that shut-off feature.

So, what about my TX? Is it the same thing? Should I not use a car charger? And what about a travel charger that doesn't connect through the computer, but just plugs right into the wall?
    "Woman Reading Etexts from a Palm TX" by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776 oil on canvas, 81.1 x 64.8 cm
    (Palm FAQ)

Palm Pilot

Default Re: Car Charger Overcharging the Battery?

The shutoff is on the battery circuit, not in the charger. LiIon batteries have a protection circuit attached to the battery. The car can't overcharge the phone or your TX. The Verizon guy has no idea what he's talking about, like most sales reps.
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

In training!

I'm glad you asked this question, as it's something that always puzzles me, too.

In January, I took my mom to upgrade her cell phone. She's 89 & cells cOnFuSe her so one thing she has always done is leave it plugged in, when she's at home. I didn't think this was good, but it was easier than cOfUsInG her even more by having her check the battery level & charging only when needed. (Actually, that phone lasted for 4 years, so it didn't appear that constant charging shortened the battery life on that phone!) So when we got her new phone, I asked if leaving it plugged in would shorten the battery life & the sales person said as long as you were using a Motorola charger, no. (Intimating off brands could, so I wasn't sure if that was a sales ploy or not.)

Training for my 5th marathon - PF Chang Rock & Roll - January 2010! For every mile you run in a marathon, you add one minute to your life. This enables you, at the age of 85, to spend an additional five months in a nursing home at $5,000/month.

Interesting threads:
    Best free TX applications
    Best SHAREware applications
    What do you use your TX for?

Mobile Consultant

Silly Rabbit,
    That is good to know about the cell phones not over charging, thanks.
    M500, T3, TX & my son's TX

Mobile Enthusiast

I ran with two cell phones in a service vehicle, and we had close to hundred guys doing the same. We quickly found out that if you charged the phones all the way up on an OEM car charger it greatly shortened the batteries life. Plugging in to a wall plug or the inverter on the vehicles had no negative effects on the battery. We tried different types of batteries, the lion batteries were a little more rugged, but their life would be shortened by OEM vehicle chargers. Ditto with our gas sniffer batteries, screw driver / drill batteries. PS the regulator on a vehicle will change the voltage output as the underhood temperature changes.

No one in particular...

Quote Originally Posted by OakstoPalms View Post
    PS the regulator on a vehicle will change the voltage output as the underhood temperature changes.
    Is it a Ford diesel?

Mobile Enthusiast

As far as I know it's that way on all vehicles with the battery under the hood. On a cold day I've seen 14.8VDC feed to the battery, on a hot day just under 12VDC, the regulator on the alternator changes the voltage so there is enough to charge the battery on a cold day and you won't fry it on a hot day. We used to also wipe out the trailer battery, as it was in a different environment than what was under hood. That's why we went with the inverters, with an plug in trickle charger.

Palm Pilot

A decent charger should deal with the varying voltage from the battery/alternator. It's not that complicated to keep a regulated 5VDC with an input of 10-15 volts.
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

do you think that it really matters if you get the palm oem car charger cuz 30 bux seems a lil much.

but i dont want to kill this thing cuz it seems like its already dying fast

I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, twanpd4.

I have a car charger from www.expansys.com for my T5 and it works fine.

Why are you saying that your T|X is "dying fast"?
    Brain -> Casio -> Sharp -> Filofax -> Palm Pilot -> Palm Professional -> Palm IIIc -> iPAQ 4660 (oops) -> TT3 + T610 + NavMan -> TT5 + SE K700i + NavMan -> TT5 + 2Gb SD card + SE K810i + universal PDA thumb board + external mike + TomTom ONE + BlackBerry 8800

Winner of the Brighthand Palm 5th Anniversary Contest
    NOT