Power On/Off Button Failing! Looking for alternative.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    OldSurfDog

Default Power On/Off Button Failing! Looking for alternative.

The power button on the Tx has always been problematic at best. You have to press it just right to get it to work. I have habitually used that button on all of my palms to power on and off. I am now in the habit of using one of the hard buttons, typically favorites. I have the other buttons set to open my most useful apps.

Unfortunately, you must use the power button to power off and it is not working well. I just downloaded the following apps to test to power off: Off_Info
    Off
    OffitPalm
    OffStroke

I really want to find an alternative before my power button actually dies. I could exchange my Tx, but it is so very stable that I am unwilling to do that.

Anyone out there using any of these want to share their experiences? Anyone out there using a different app that they really like.

I will definitely report back on my experiences and would love to hear yours.

Mobile Enthusiast

Why do you have to use the power button to power it off?

Just let the timeout do it for you. Set it to your choice: 30sec, 1min, 2min, 3min.

I just got mine, but rarely turn it off manually.

An "Olde Moderator" #2

Default Re: Power On/Off Button Failing! Looking for alternative.

Originally posted by ward.smith
    The power button on the Tx has always been problematic at best. You have to press it just right to get it to work.....

I really want to find an alternative before my power button actually dies....
    You may find this thread of interest!
    Welcome to Brighthand
    The Three Rs of Life - Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for your own actions.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates....it's more like a jar of jalapenos.What you do today might burn your backside tomorrow!"

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

mykbd comes with the ability to map power off to a spot you can tap in the dia with your stylus. the cost is $15.

get mykbd if you are interested in:

dia skins (mykbd replaces myskin), third home button alternative, numeric keypad visible while using graffiti for letters, hex keyboards, qwerty keyboard with number row, dia hotspot for poweroff (though i think you must use one of the replacement keyboards to get the power off hotspot)
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

some call me ... mp

I have always used the power button sparingly. I mainly use a hard button to turn it on and the power button on Z launcher (bottom bar ? far right for me) to turn the unit off. If you already own Z launcher, this option is free. If you do not own Z launcher ? you should
    Handheld devices: Palm IIIxe, Sony SL10, Sony SJ30, Palm T|T, Palm T3, Palm T5, Palm TX, Treo 755p, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
    Friends made in palm OS communities: priceless

Current: HTC EVO4G with CM7.2

iPhone stunt-driver

When I bought my TX about a month ago, I immediately noticed what a pain it was to turn on and off (given the recessed power button that takes about 125 lbs of downward pressure from the tip of your finger or some other pointy object).

To solve this problem, I carefully cut a small piece of neoprene material from a watch case I had. This foamy material is far easier on my fingertips, yet still stiff enough to allow for pressing the power button on and off. Just a tiny dab of superglue to secure it over the power button was all I needed, and viola -- no more off/on issues. Hope this helps.
    PalmOSFan

Black Tie-ish Treo 650 (2 yrs), iPhone convert. Still lugging the 650 around for a couple apps I need until iPhone has a 3rd party equivalent!

OldSurfDog

My button is actually failing so changing the button structure will not solve my problem. The thread was really interesting though and looks like a great option for those who have a problem pushing it.

My graffiti skills are quite good and I own a BT keyboard so I am really not intested in mykbd. I am also looking at free apps that can accomplish what I want.

I frequetly have my Tx set to never go off because of many of the things that I am doing. I never have it set for less than 3 minutes. That is a long time to wait for it to power off and would not work for my usage.

Zlauncher is obviously a great app but I do not want to pay for it for that function. I used to be a SS user but have gone back to using and actually liking favorites. I have over 90 non-native apps installed and do not really need to invest in another launcher although I have considered it more than once.

I did look closely at 3 of the 4 apps I listed above. I did not look at Off_Info bcause that was the only app that cost money, and you could not even look at it without registering it.

OffStroke allows you to turn off your Tx with either a stroke or a tap. I could never get the tap function to work and the stroke function was not 100% reliable so I deleted this app from my Tx.

I really liked both Off and OffItPalm. They are both very complimentary so I will keep both on my Palm. OffIt is a great app that turns your Tx off when you open it. I have it on Page 1 of favorites but you could obviously wire it to a hard button which I might do down the line. Off puts an icon in the command bar. When you open the command bar and tap on the off icon, your Tx goes off. Both are very elegent little apps and are a welcome addtion to my Tx. I highly recommend both!

Google'd.

Also, re: offit, if you hold down the home key you get a list of your more recently used apps. I find this is the best way to use offit, as I can pop up the menu and select offit from wherever I am in my palm w/out returning to the home screen...

Very Old Senior Member

there is an app called sleep, and I have it mapped to one of my hard keys and it works great

get it here:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=48275

Rich
    Since My Divorce..My Palm is my Best Friend....Palm Pilot That Is

Handspring Visor Prism==> Handspring Treo 90==> Palm m515==> Palm T|E (x2)==> Palm T|X

Sandisk SD 32mb==> 256mb==> 512mb==> 1gb==> 2gb

OldSurfDog

Originally posted by questionfear
    Also, re: offit, if you hold down the home key you get a list of your more recently used apps. I find this is the best way to use offit, as I can pop up the menu and select offit from wherever I am in my palm w/out returning to the home screen...
    Good idea. You are definitely 1 step ahead of me.

I find that I actually use Off more because a command stroke is so quick, easy, and accessible. I really love both apps.