Revisiting the RT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Revisiting the RT

LandSurveyor

Default Revisiting the RT

Why not an RT?
    First: the price. Even the current reduction to $349 doesn't go far enough.

Next, this guy's article tells a lot, although I don't always agree with his slant on it:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57593758-10391733/why-i-wont-be-buying-a-surface-rt-even-for-$349/

I don't think it's valid to ding the RT for not coming with a keyboard unless he compares it with something like a Samsung 10" tablet with an accessory keyboard.
    I do agree with him that it's tacky for MS to boast of its internal memory when only part of it is usable.

It does come with a first-class basic suite. It does have a card slot. It does come standard with something I haven't heard of in any other tablet: a full-sized usb port, which MS says can be connected to an external hard drive, thus avoiding cloud dependence.

MS can make this work if they'll bite the bullet on price.

I knew when I bought this $100 Touchpad that it was doomed already. I don't want to buy into another doomed device unless (maybe) it's at another fire sale price.

Shiny

Default Re: Revisiting the RT

I think $349 is a pretty darned good deal for something that comes with MS Office, including Outlook, which sells on its own for $200. And that has an excellent-quality magnesium-body case with plenty of connectivity. It's a 10" device with good build quality that's selling for $20 more than an iPad Mini and $150 less than a 16-gb iPad.

My wife and I are thinking of snatching up a Surface RT for her in the next month or so. Her main computer is dying and we don't want to spend a ton on a replacement. The build quality and screen quality are so far beyond what we can get for $450 at Best Buy, and there's nothing she does on a PC that can't be done with Windows RT (MS Office, email, web-based stuff).

I don't think it's a "doomed device" because Windows 8 (x86) and Windows RT share apps. It's not like Blackberry where if the OS doesn't go anywhere soon, app developers have no reason to pay attention. The selection of Metro apps is expanding regularly because not only do they run on Windows RT devices, but they run on Windows 8 touchscreen devices like my Duo 11 and the flurry of other touchscreen devices currently going on sale.
    Last edited by Mitlov; 07-15-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.
    Sony VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    Sony VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.

Windows 8 questions? Start here and PM me with any further questions. Mitlov's Windows 8 tutorial; configuring Win8.1 for non-touchscreen devices

LandSurveyor

Those are points in its favor, certainly.

Unfortunately, people do compare on price without paying as much attention as they should to the details.

In my case, I recently bought a full Toshiba notebook running Windows 8, complete with 16.5" screen, numeric keypad, and optical drive for about $320 OTD. It's hard to consider paying about that much for a "lesser" device.

Still, I'm glad to hear its survival prospects are good. The pundits had me convinced otherwise.

Will you be considering the Touch or the Type Cover?

Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    Those are points in its favor, certainly.

Unfortunately, people do compare on price without paying as much attention as they should to the details.

In my case, I recently bought a full Toshiba notebook running Windows 8, complete with 16.5" screen, numeric keypad, and optical drive for about $320 OTD. It's hard to consider paying about that much for a "lesser" device.
    That could be said of any premium-quality hardware compared to any bang-for-the-buck spec-sheet-oriented product, regardless of the price point. I can't count how many times people on NBR have compared what $1200 gets you from Sony or Apple compared to what $1200 gets you in terms of a specced-up HP Pavilion or an MSI gaming rig. Sure, you get great specs, but you also get a heavy device with a creaky case, etc etc etc. The Surface RT can't compare to the specs of that Toshiba 16" you got, but the screen is excellent quality (unremarkable resolution, but excellent viewing angles, color, etc), the case is solid and pleasant to hold and flex-free, etc.

Still, I'm glad to hear its survival prospects are good. The pundits had me convinced otherwise.
    Well, the Surface RT in its current form is on its way out. But what ten-month-old PC isn't? That's what some people are missing. It's on its way out because there's a Surface MkII in the pipeline, not because Microsoft is shutting down the Surface line.

Will you be considering the Touch or the Type Cover?
    If I can talk my wife into getting one before they're all gone (I subscribe to "replace something when it's starting to break down"; she subscribes to "replace something when it's totally dead"), I think the type cover. I think she'd struggle with the feel of the touch cover.
    Samsung Galaxy S III (U.S. Cellular, Android 4.3 with TouchWiz skin). My review.
    Sony VAIO Duo 11 (i3-3217U, 11.6" 1080p IPS, N-Trig stylus, Windows 8.1). My video review; handwriting test.
    Sony VAIO F2390X (i7-2670QM, 540M, 16.4" 1080p, Windows 8.1 Pro). My video review.

Windows 8 questions? Start here and PM me with any further questions. Mitlov's Windows 8 tutorial; configuring Win8.1 for non-touchscreen devices

Shiny

Also, don't forget that the Surface RT isn't the only device out there. Dell is currently selling the XPS 10, its 10" Windows RT device, for a whopping $299...80% of the price of the Nexus 10 and 60% of the price of an Xperia Tablet Z.

Mobile Deity

Microsoft took a massive $900 million writedown on the Surface RT inventory. Does that mean all the existing stock will be put into some firesale?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57594612-75/funky-friday-more-than-$32-billion-in-microsoft-stock-value-wiped-out/
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

LandSurveyor

I think that's the adjustment they had to make when they marked them down to $349.

And now a gripe: Why do people whinge about RT devices not being able to run regular Windows apps but they don't seem to require Ipads to run Mac apps?

Shiny

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    I think that's the adjustment they had to make when they marked them down to $349.

And now a gripe: Why do people whinge about RT devices not being able to run regular Windows apps but they don't seem to require Ipads to run Mac apps?
    The idea of some-but-not-all really chafes some people. Because there is a desktop and it can run the MS Office suite, some people are offended that it's otherwise limited to mobile apps. But if you think of it as a well-built media tablet with added functionality, not a PC with reduced functionality (glass half full instead of glass half empty), it's a smokin' good deal at $349.

Mobile Deity

Lenovo just cancelled their Windows RT device, the Ideapad Yoga 11.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

That's all folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitlov View Post
    The idea of some-but-not-all really chafes some people. Because there is a desktop and it can run the MS Office suite, some people are offended that it's otherwise limited to mobile apps. But if you think of it as a well-built media tablet with added functionality, not a PC with reduced functionality (glass half full instead of glass half empty), it's a smokin' good deal at $349.
    I have no idea of the mindset of others. However, I know that my mindset is that these devices, along with Android, and iOS are pathetically weak devices. Yes, they may be fun and if there is an app, that works as I want, may be usable. Oooh, there's an app for that... Angry Birds!!

However, when presented with the option of a 'does it all' device, for darn near the same price... why would I bother with a limited device. If a device with the same size exists, and does it all, you'd be off your rocker if you think I'm going to buy the 'oh, you can't do that' device.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    Lenovo just cancelled their Windows RT device, the Ideapad Yoga 11.
    This doesn't surprise me. Funny to recollect all the OEM's throwing a fit over not being selected for the initial roll-out of RT, and now the OEM's are tossing it in the dumpster. While the platform deserves some praise, it still is a disaster and a failure.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.