Chrome and Cloud Printing. Why go to the cloud?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Chrome and Cloud Printing. Why go to the cloud?

LandSurveyor

Default Chrome and Cloud Printing. Why go to the cloud?

So my IT wife, who knows lots about Windows systems and nothing about Chrome, has to hook up my in-laws' Chromebook to their new cloud printer.

It got me to thinking. What is the point of sitting on one's couch and sending a print job out on the internet, into the cloud, and back to a printer within arm's reach? I understand the advantages; one could just as well be half a world away from said printer, although it's hard to see why that's useful. And I also understand that other devices like smartphones can access said printer.

But why burden the internet when wire or wifi would travel directly a few feet instead of hundreds of miles? Why increase the burden on the internet?

I think the answer must be in how it benefits Google.

I hate to be Mr. Paranoia but it seems that Google must be in some way collecting analytics on our print jobs.

I have to say I'm already assimilated. I have used Google services for a long time now and have had a Yahoo webmail address for much longer.

Still, are we giving up yet more privacy for the sake of getting something free and convenient?

Life is a circus!

Default Re: Chrome and Cloud Printing. Why go to the cloud?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you.

Exposed printers

I don't know anything about cloud printing, but I finally have both a laser and color inject printer in my house available for wireless printing. The all-in-one laser printer just arrived yesterday and isn't completely set up yet, but I'll be so happy when my wife and kids start using it instead of the color inkjet (talk about going broke fast!). I had my desktop laser printer, connected to my computer, shared on our home network, but could not get it to work consistently with my wife's Mac. I'm so excited about having a print station set up in our house for anyone (on our network) to use.

Back on topic. Are you sure the print jobs are going out over the internet? For a long time, I used Orb to stream media from my desktop to my mobile devices. If I was on my home network, I could configure the Orb applet on my desktop to stream directly to my devices without going over the internet (and through Orb's servers). But once I left my home network, streaming had to pass through Orb's servers. It may be possible that your print jobs are staying within your LAN and not passing through Google's print servers. Maybe? I think it depends in part on whether or not your local computer has the correct printer drivers.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    So my IT wife, who knows lots about Windows systems and nothing about Chrome, has to hook up my in-laws' Chromebook to their new cloud printer.

It got me to thinking. What is the point of sitting on one's couch and sending a print job out on the internet, into the cloud, and back to a printer within arm's reach? I understand the advantages; one could just as well be half a world away from said printer, although it's hard to see why that's useful. And I also understand that other devices like smartphones can access said printer.

But why burden the internet when wire or wifi would travel directly a few feet instead of hundreds of miles? Why increase the burden on the internet?

I think the answer must be in how it benefits Google.

I hate to be Mr. Paranoia but it seems that Google must be in some way collecting analytics on our print jobs.

I have to say I'm already assimilated. I have used Google services for a long time now and have had a Yahoo webmail address for much longer.

Still, are we giving up yet more privacy for the sake of getting something free and convenient?

It means every other device can print to that printer wirelessly, regardless of OS, and regardless of platform, including tablets and smartphones. Your entire family can share that printer whether they are in the house, outside of it, without need for cables, or drivers.

I am pretty sure Cloud Print has no advertising value for Google. Its there to support Google's platforms.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Hookette's edgy lately

I think Drillbit is right. Google may be about harvesting information for their advertising, but the secondary goal that feeds that indirectly is driving people to their apps and network services. And frankly, the way they do that is by making those services good, usable and something people want. Those sneaky bastards.
    Hook's Palm TX Help Page

Past: Palm T2 > Palm X > Nokia 5800 > HTC Nexus One > Samsung Galaxy Player 5 > LG Nexus 4 (gave to son) > LG Nexus 5

Current:
    Nexus 5, 32 GB,Rooted, Dirty Unicorns ROM, Android 4.4.2, Franco kernel
    Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Rooted, SlimKat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, ART, Franco Kernel

LandSurveyor

I'm pretty sure that, considering the name, it does indeed go out into the internet......and back.

It just seems unnecessary.

But it does indeed work well.......

Life is a circus!

Quote Originally Posted by LandSurveyor View Post
    I'm pretty sure that, considering the name, it does indeed go out into the internet......and back.

It just seems unnecessary.

But it does indeed work well.......
    You're right. I think I'm going to try it at some point. I'm really curious to see how it works.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

LandSurveyor

It seemed to be a little slow to respond but I've seen even wired networks, like the one where I work, that can be equally slow.

I suppose that if the threat to privacy is minimal or non-existent, the only problem would be if there is a problem "up there" and your print requests disappear into the ether.

I think it would be convenient to have my smartphone on such a system. That way, I could be looking at pages on my lunch break at work and print what I chose and have it waiting for me when I got home.

Palm Pilot

I think, but I'm not sure, that the print job doesn't go outside the LAN if both the printer and your device are directly connected. It goes to the internet if you're away from home and not connected to the LAN the printer is on. Using cloud printing lets you print to a printer from anywhere, although I don't see the point in most cases. The big draw is that, as mentioned, OS and everything else is immaterial. I use an Android app to print to network printers, and it only goes through the local wifi, even if it's a cloud-enabled printer.

Regards,

Stan
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

A Former Palm User

Stan,

What is the app you use to print with?

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk
    scjjtt
    Palms & Phones: III, IIIx, IIIxe, Tunsgen E, TX, Centro -> Samsung Epic 4G (SPH-D700) -> Samsung Galaxy S4
    Tablet & Chromebook: HP TouchPad 32 GB Tablet and an Acer C7 320 GB Chromebook
    Laptop: TOSHIBA Satellite A305; Processor: Intel Core Duo T5800 @ 2 GHz; Memory: 3 GB & 230 GB drive

LandSurveyor

I did some more reading on the subject, including Google's own explanation of how it works. Google says they delete the job off their servers as soon as the print is done. Unless one wants to consider them liars the privacy issue is answered.

Now for an unrelated scenario.

Suppose I visit a friend or relative and use their cloud printer from my Chromebook or smartphone or whatever. Later and far away, I still have this address in my device and before thinking I print some sort of private document, like a will or maybe some client information.

Now my last will & testament or bill from my proctologist is laying on Aunt Sally's floor until she walks in and picks it up, thinking "I didn't print anything. What's this?"

Just something to think about............