Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast
Like Tree438Likes

Thread: Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

LandSurveyor

Default Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

For whatever reason, my Lubuntu Linux laptop does not like to be connected to my Android smartphone. This time, it locked out the USB ports and totally borked. It will NOT reboot. My brother has it now trying to get it going again and in the interim, I tried to get my elderly XP laptop out but it's so bogged down, it takes forever to boot.

I don't really want to buy another Windows machine and have history keep repeating itself.

Not a big Apple fan, either.

For home use and nothing heavy duty, is a Chromebook a viable alternative? I want a fast boot, internet use, to load pictures and music, plus light use of word processing, the ability to open pdf, powerpoint, and other such files.

I assume a Chromebook would play nice with Android hardware.

Or is there another, better alternative?

Oh, and I'm cheap.

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: Whatever happened to the Chromebook?

What version of Lubuntu are you running?

Also, what are the specs on your Lubuntu laptop?
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.

Registered Linux User #270832

Endogame

I might actually recommend looking at the transformer line and just sticking with android itself. Either a gen old or their lower end of the new options might be a fairly frugal alternative.

One could pair a nook color with a usb keyboard in a folio as well, but in my experience, it's kind of hard to find a quality folio that you can use like you would a laptop. A lot of them, rather than having a hinge, merely have a kickstand on the back to hold up the tab, or other inferior mechanisms (not necessarily great for actual lap use). Finding a snug enclosure could be challenging as well. But you could find a sub $20 keyboard and get a refurb NC for $120ish (probably less once they do their first ebay sale after the 8gb NT was released). I imagine it would cost more to get a keyboard/mouse in one package or to go bluetooth.
    Project Ara ~ Designed exclusively for 6 billion people.
    DIMPLE ~ Android NFC Buttons!

Life is a circus!

I have a refurb Nook Color, CrazyOn case, and an HP touchpad BT keyboard. It's a pretty good combination, even though the keyboard has some touchpad-specific keys.

This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

LandSurveyor

Quote Originally Posted by jglen490 View Post
    What version of Lubuntu are you running?

Also, what are the specs on your Lubuntu laptop?
    At this point, I couldn't tell you. My brother loaded it for me and is much more knowledgeable about Linux than I am. I believe it was installed less than a year ago if that helps.

The Compaq was pretty elderly. Had only 512 ram and a fairly small HD but it really didn't have much on it. I really liked Lubuntu. It booted fast and gave little trouble. I don't have it at home at the moment so I don't know the specs on that either.

I probably need a bigger computer and a less-light Linux. I wanted to open some power point docs recently and so downloaded Libre Office but even thought the WP came through, the PP viewer did not. It was grayed out for some reason.

Jig & Mi An, I wouldn't mind going Android altogether but need something with sizeable memory and a HD to store/rip music plus act as a repository for my photos and some other assorted documents. At this point, I might as well be totally absorbed in the Google collective so I wouldn't mind storing my docs (copies at least) if it would just keep them safe and accessible. Hence my interest in the Chromebook.

Google'd.

I am writing this on my Chromebook right now. I like it (a lot) but there's definitely some bugs-most notably the wifi will randomly drop and switch to 3G, and only a reboot brings it back.

Beyond that it's pretty solid, but it's basically about as powerful as a tablet OS, but in netbook form. There's some local storage and access, but mostly it's the web or nothing. My chromebook has about 16gb of storage, and it does recognize some external storage but it's very hit and miss. SD cards work though.
    "Give them nothing! But take from them everything!"

Gear Diary

LandSurveyor

Sounds like it's not fully developed yet. Rats! I would think Google, at least, would not have as much tendency to want to push users along an "upgrade path" since their focus is to keep people using their services rather than selling hardware and software.
    For the short term, at least, my brother has loaded another "beater" laptop with Linux and at least I can afford to delay my decision. I'm just nervous about attaching my smartphone again.
    I notice that some Chromebooks are wifi-only. Maybe that would avoid the problem you are having.
    In any event, I'll be glad to have anything with a keyboard again. Typing on this Touchpad is driving me nuts!

Palm Pilot

IME, Ubuntu isn't quite ready for prime time. They shove a new version out the door every 6 months, ready or not. If you want a stable machine, that just works, install Debian Stable, aka Squeeze. It's not the bleeding edge by any means, but it works every time. I'm a little more adventurous, and run Unstable, aka Sid. There is the occasional borkage, but I haven't had a really serious issue in a long time, and when an issue does arise, it's fixed in days. I got really tired of having everything break every April and October, so I abandoned Ubuntu a couple of years ago, and never looked back.

Ubuntu does seem to be planning to try to get into the Android market, supposedly with a way to run either Ubuntu or Android on the same machine, at will. How that works out remains to be seen, but I'm not optimistic. Debian does support ARM devices, and I've thought about installing it on my Prime, but it's just more trouble than it's worth right now. I never liked LXDE as a desktop environment, but that's a personal preference. I run Xfce or Gnome interchangeably. YMMV.
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

LandSurveyor

My brother loaded this Dell with Mint. Don't know much about it yet but it's definitely not a lean as Ubuntu. Boots noticeably slower.

Guess I could add a USB drive to a Chromebook.

Heck, I just know I don't want to to back to Windows.

Google'd.

Don't misunderstand me, LS...I think ChromeOS is about as baked as it's going to get. The extent to which Google intends to support local storage is to upload/download files to websites. There is no music player or media player, though obviously Pandora and Netflix are available for streaming.

Literally, ChromeOS is the Chrome Browser in computer form. If you're working almost entirely in an online environment, it's a very useful tool, since it's very fast at loading pages and such. However, it is not a replacement for a PC, nor is it intended to be a replacement for a PC...it's designed to be a lightweight, cloud-based, instant-on netbook for people with strong ties to Google.

If you're looking for something to replace a full computing experience, you're better off with Mac OS X, Linux, or Windows. ChromeOS even at it's most polished is never going to be equivalent to those operating systems. I work around it because a) my chromebook was free, b) I love the hardware, c) most of my work is online anyway. But if you aren't working heavily in the browser it's a terrible fit for you.
    "Give them nothing! But take from them everything!"

Gear Diary