Problems with Kinoma 4EX and YouTube? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Problems with Kinoma 4EX and YouTube?

What do you mean by Kinoma embedded, hal? I used Kinoma by choosing YouTube from the Kinoma Guide and then either searching for videos or say selecting from one of their categories like 'today's most popular,' etc.

Life is a circus!

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    What do you mean by Kinoma embedded, hal? I used Kinoma by choosing YouTube from the Kinoma Guide and then either searching for videos or say selecting from one of their categories like 'today's most popular,' etc.
    Kinoma embedded = version included in ROM. For a long time, I used Kinoma Player 4EX (purchased version) exclusively on my Palm TX because my Treo 755p had a version of Kinoma embedded in the ROM. Later, I transferred my license for 4EX to my 755p. It's back on my TX, now.
    This Signature Line Intentionally Left Blank

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jigwashere View Post
    Kinoma embedded = version included in ROM. For a long time, I used Kinoma Player 4EX (purchased version) exclusively on my Palm TX because my Treo 755p had a version of Kinoma embedded in the ROM. Later, I transferred my license for 4EX to my 755p. It's back on my TX, now.
    Just as jig describes, Varjak. Actually, thanks to jig is that I am right now learning that it comes in the ROM, cause I only had the suspicion of such. I thought it could have been inadvertedly installed when I installed a full Kinoma license that came bundled in my 680's CD. OK, the point here is that I don't need a full Kinoma install neither in my 680 nor in my 755p to watch Kinoma-compliant videos at YT and other sites. Essentially, Kinoma Embedded is a barebones player that can get along with lots of online videos, Varjak. And the other point is that AFAIG, YT videos and those in other sites can still be played with my Kinoma installs, Varjak. Either you're under direct attack (), or access at your location has been restricted (unlikely), or something else is happening.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

Life is a circus!

hal, are you able to locate the YouTube videos through Kinoma's list of sites? Or are you starting in Blazer?

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

hal, are you able to locate the YouTube videos through Kinoma's list of sites? Or are you starting in Blazer?
    I start in Blazer, jig. Currently I don't have the full Kinoma installation, so I don't have the Kinoma list available. It's possible that Kinoma Embedded is one of the last resources to watch YT videos from a Palm OS device. I get to Blazer, and i.e. I do a Google search, some video comes in the search, I open it and before it starts running I see a little splash of Kinoma Embedded.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

Life is a circus!

Both Varjak and I can watch YouTube videos in Kinoma 4EX -- the problem is that we can't access them through Kinoma's library function. It also appears they're coming through in 3gp format, but that may have always been the case.

Super Moderator

I believe you are correct. I don't believe Kinoma for PalmOS ever did flash. It was 3GP from the get-go.
    Current Device: Samsung Galaxy Note II - Rooted Stock ROM Paired with Pebble Smartwatch
    Retired Device: HTC EVO Shift 4G - (Rooted) JellyBelly ROM 4.1.2
    Tablet: Kindle Fire

Life is a circus!

I thought YouTube videos played through Kinoma were flv format. I remember downloading and saving YouTube videos in flv -- of course, my memory might be faulty.

EDIT: http://blog.kinoma.com/2008/04/featu...video-support/

Life is a circus!

Looks like YouTube Mobile has always been 3GP: YouTube Mobile goes live

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

Both Varjak and I can watch YouTube videos in Kinoma 4EX -- the problem is that we can't access them through Kinoma's library function. It also appears they're coming through in 3gp format, but that may have always been the case.
    Ah, that's the quid. It's not that they can't be played, but rather that the Kinoma list lost something.

Quote Originally Posted by headcronie View Post
    I believe you are correct. I don't believe Kinoma for PalmOS ever did flash. It was 3GP from the get-go.
    I don't think so either, HC. AFAIR, one or two Clié devices supported Flash, and that was it with Flash on Palm OS. Remember that Dmitry Grinberg had this Flash Player for Palm OS download on his site? Think that was ripped off the Clié ROMs.

I thought YouTube videos played through Kinoma were flv format. I remember downloading and saving YouTube videos in flv -- of course, my memory might be faulty.

EDIT: Feature focus: Flash Video support | Kinoma Notes
    If you downloaded them from YT anywise but mobile, they're gonna be .flv, jig, so there's at least a part here that you're not imagining. And, there could be other websites where you can download Flash Video.

Looks like YouTube Mobile has always been 3GP: YouTube Mobile goes live
    On a side note, jig, my Treos save videos in 3GP format. Many Nokia devices I remember, also save videos in 3GP. So it's most likely that 3GP has become a de facto standard for mobile online video, don't you think so?