More pTunes questions...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default More pTunes questions...

Now that I have the upgrade and pTunes internet radio, I noticed that it offers both XM and Sirius Satellite stations over the internet. But I can't seem to access them. Do I need to pay extra to access them or something? Yes, I will be checking with NormSoft too.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

Default Re: More pTunes questions...

http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/24/194/article/

in a nutshell: maybe in the future
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Banned

Thanks Rick. I wonder why they didn't mention that under the internet radio section of the manual? Or better yet, NOT include the bloody listing if it's not actually available! I mean don't use the excuse that they wanted the save the upgrade, because if it's a format issue, they'd need to issue an upgrade anyway.

Earlier on, I got a hint that NormSoft may be thinking of implementing a lossless format (most likely WMA Lossless). That was one of the reasons I was holding off on buying the upgrade; because inevitably, NS will charge $20 to get the lossless codec (or $10 during Christmas).

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    Thanks Rick. I wonder why they didn't mention that under the internet radio section of the manual? Or better yet, NOT include the bloody listing if it's not actually available! I mean don't use the excuse that they wanted the save the upgrade, because if it's a format issue, they'd need to issue an upgrade anyway.

Earlier on, I got a hint that NormSoft may be thinking of implementing a lossless format (most likely WMA Lossless). That was one of the reasons I was holding off on buying the upgrade; because inevitably, NS will charge $20 to get the lossless codec (or $10 during Christmas).
    I've had Pocket-Tunes on my Palms since my Zire31, and I've never had the kind of experience you're postulating with NormSoft. Also, they have always, in the past, done full upgrades of the application, not sold optional parts of it (unlike Palm did with updates for the TX). btw, all version 5.x upgrades are included in your purchase price.

as for why the listing is there, I can only speculate that the listing is shared with the Pocket Tunes™ Radio iPhone/iPod touch app, which does support both XM & Sirius (http://www.normsoft.com/products/iphone/pockettunes/).
    Last edited by RickAgresta; 12-16-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: fixed link
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Life is a circus!

Where do you see XM and Sirius?
    Last edited by jigwashere; 12-15-2009 at 10:02 PM.

good question, jig; I couldn't find either, in pTunes, or digging around via FileZ.

Life is a circus!

I think you need a subscription at www.xmradio.com. If I remember right, I used to stream XM radio through Kinoma Player 4EX. Minimalposter did,too. But I only had a trial subscription. I think pTunes can handle it better than Kinoma, but at the time, Kinoma was the only option.

Edit: maybe Kinoma is the only option. Anyway, here are Kinoma instructions: http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/07/xm-satellite-radio-in-kinoma-player/

Palm Pilot

You have to have an XM/Sirius subscription before you can listen to it, on any device or medium. I get it on my computer, as my XM subscription allows me to stream it also. I haven't tried it on a Palm, though.
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RickAgresta View Post
    I've had Pocket-Tunes on my Palms since my Zire31, and I've never had the kind of experience you're postulating with NormSoft. Also, they have always, in the past, done full upgrades of the application, not sold optional parts of it (unlike Palm did with updates for the TX). btw, all version 5.x upgrades are included in your purchase price.

as for why the listing is there, I can only speculate that the listing is shared with the Pocket Tunes™ Radio iPhone/iPod touch app, which does support both XM & Sirius (http://www.normsoft.com/products/iphone/pockettunes/).

I don't know what you mean by 'optional parts,' etc. They HAVE, for some time, posted separate, optional codecs for downloading (although they reserved the AAC codec for one of the upgrade versions). So a lossless codec could be offered 'free' to those registered with 5.0, 4.0, or for everyone, or for only those upgrading to a hypothetical 6.0 version.

I have the satellite radio stations listed under 'internet radio' along with individual stations and some other folders of stations. I got an email back from NS. Such stations are not currently available for the Palm (or perhaps for other platforms either).

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    Now that I have the upgrade and pTunes internet radio, I noticed that it offers both XM and Sirius Satellite stations over the internet. But I can't seem to access them. Do I need to pay extra to access them or something? Yes, I will be checking with NormSoft too.
    Hi all, this is NormSoft here. Just wanted to give a quick heads-up that this was an accident on our part, and it was due to a mixup between our Palm OS/Windows Mobile products and our iPhone product, Pocket Tunes Radio. We'll be fixing the listing shortly. Sorry for the confusion.

Just a note that Pocket Tunes Radio on the iPhone/iPod Touch does support XM and Sirius because Apple's web browser is good enough to load those pages (once you have Pocket Tunes Radio installed, and you must be running Pocket Tunes Radio). Unfortunately, the web browsers on Palm OS and Windows Mobile are not good enough to support the web-based player for Sirius and XM, so it's unlikely that we will be able to support those in the near future.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact support by clicking the support link from the Pocket Tunes website.

Take care,
    Tim
    NormSoft, Inc.