More Free Heap memory

Closed Thread

Question More Free Heap memory

Hi Group. On my 515 when trying to load a game, BookWorm, I get the following : This game requires more free heap memory than your handheld has available. If you have any hacks installed, or open network connection, please disable them.

1. What's a hack? I don't think I have any. Nor do I have an open network connection.

2. I went from a 130 to the 515 because it had more memory-- and now this! I currently have 5.1 M of Free Space available. Isn't this enough? Book Worm takes 355K, which I have on the 32 MB Expansion card, which also has 18.7M of free space.

3. So what's heap memory? Different from regular memory?

Thanks in advance!

Mobile Consultant

A hack is a program that enhances a built-in program on the Palm. You need a main program like HackMaster to enable the hack. I think the reason your program references it is that hack programs anchor themselves in your Palm RAM memory. If you add/remove programs, your RAM may get broken into smaller pieces, each too small to accommodate the program you're trying to install. When you do a reset, the Palm does a memory cleanup and defrag. A hack won't move during the defrag if it is enabled. It'll sit there and not let you maximize your contiguous free space.
    Now, as I recall reading somewhere, a heap is a blob of memory in your free space RAM that the Palm OS sets aside to use. * The dynamic heap is sized based on the amount of memory available to the system.

The only thing I can think of to try would be a soft reset. (I don't think you have any hacks so we won't worry about turning those off). Then try your program again.

Mobile Deity

The heap on an m515 is (I think) 256K. MBoy is correct in that a sof-reset ought to clean up your heap and give you enough to run your app.