Ipaq 3850 - Hard Reset - Not My Choice

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mobile Deity

Default Ipaq 3850 - Hard Reset - Not My Choice

I loaded a game (Turjah 11).

After playing the game for maybe a minute, my Ipaq suddenly did a hard reset!!!!

I have never experienced this with any of the many PPC's which i have owned.

I have always relied on soft resets, either to resolve a lock up or to clear memory. But I have never had a PPC simply do a HARD RESET in this manner.

There was another thread here the other day
    '..Loaded PocketSNES - Lost EVERYTHING..'
    This was also with a 3835

Anyone else experienced this? - i hope not.

The formal way of doing a hard reset on the new Ipaqs is:
    '...Simultaneously hold down the outer application buttons (Calendar & iTask) and press the soft-reset button for 5 seconds....'

Mobile Consultant

I have been having MAJOR issues with this. I called Compaq and they said they will look into it and fix it. At first I thought overclocking caused this.. Apparently it does it all the time. I don't think your the first person. Quite a few people complained about this, and the only solution... send it back or get a replacement somewhere.

Mobile Deity

Originally posted by wynix
    I have been having MAJOR issues with this. I called Compaq and they said they will look into it and fix it. At first I thought overclocking caused this.. Apparently it does it all the time. I don't think your the first person. Quite a few people complained about this, and the only solution... send it back or get a replacement somewhere.
    Wow - I had no idea. i have followed the issues which have been showing up with the 3850 BUT I had never heard of this one before I experienced it today.

Oh dear - i guess that i will have to return it

Mobile Consultant

The thing I'm worried about is I have the latest ROM update. It's date is 11-30-01 and it doesn't work. I mean.. how are they going to fix this? Obviously there probably aren't any updates available. They better not send me some refurbished unit!!!

Mobile Deity

wynix:

I have ROM 1.14

I did a quick search of the discussion boards as I am sure that i had not read about this problem before, but you wrote:

'...Quite a few people complained about this..'

Where did you see this? - I would be interested in reading that.

Mobile Enthusiast

Default I have problems with Turjah too

Whenever I play Turjah 2 and use the directional pad, I get the screen that wants you to align the unit. The only way to get rid of it without re-aligning, I must shut the unit off and back on. I have since removed Turjah from my ipaq.

Mobile Deity

I wonder (hope) that the delays on the 3870 are also related to Compaq fixing some or all of the issues with the 3835 and 3850.

There are a number of issues with the 3850 - most of which I can live with - when and if my PPC gets them.

However, the spontaneous hard resetting is absolutely unacceptable for me!

I am thinking about returning my 3850 and waiting for the 3870 - late this month or early in 2002?

Mobile Enthusiast

Angry 3850 problems

I'm having the same problem with my 3850 (rom 1.14) and I also have to do a soft rest every time I turn the unit on. I'll try doing a hard reset and live with the built-in applications for a few days just so that I can figure out if it is the PDA or 3rd party software. For PPC2002 being just a minor update I have to say that they created some major problems.

Mobile Evangelist

I had the same problem too. Woke up one morning and turned my iPAQ 3850 on only to see the welcome screen that comes up after a hard reset. I chalked it up to some bad software I loaded the night before. Well, through the course of the day it did three more spontaneous hard resets even though I left it alone and did not reload anything at all. Well that was week ago and no hard resets to speak of since that day.

Can an issue of corrupted memory cause a series of hard resets just because it hasn't cleared itself of the problem completely? I know this is stupid question but I can't explain why it is working fine now. I have everything reloaded except for the last program I loaded that night that I think caused the problem.

Mobile Enthusiast

ottoman2,
    What was the last program that you loaded?