Where Does Apple Go From Here?

+ Reply to Thread
    Brighthand Site Admin
    New York, no not the city, up near the Adirondacks

Default Where Does Apple Go From Here?

Steve Jobs was undeniably a major force behind the product innovation and development at Apple Computer for more than three decades. His vision extended the boundaries of desktop and notebook computers, and blazed new trails in mobile phones and tablet computers. With his passing, however, Apple enters a new phase as it seeks to maintain its position as a technology pioneer and fend off increasing competition across multiple product areas. Do you think Apple will go through significant changes six months, a year, or five years from now? Will the absence of Steve Jobs have an impact on product design and innovation?

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Default Re: Where Does Apple Go From Here?

We'll know all is not well if Apple announces a Windows Phone in the next 18 months.

I didn't like to see Apple stock topple on missing expectations while at the same time setting an all time sales record. Come on already. So I think the stock will suffer because a lot of the perceived value of Apple was investors' faith that Jobs could keep Apple focused on what was profitable.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Mobile Deity

I tend to make purchases based on my own personal needs/desires/projections for the next 2 years or so. I think its safe to say macs and IOS devices will still be working well over the next two years. I care not that Android is gaining an ever increasing share of the phone market. I have evolved over the years from a hacker-geek-administrator-database designer, to someone that just wants the damn thing to work with a minimum amount of fuss.

In line with that admitted narrow line of thinking, because my corporation just contracted with a vendor that provides secure sandbox syncing of our corp info with iPhone and Android, I am soon dropping my BB, and using just my iPhone. Saves me about $80 a month. Rim's developers conference was the final straw in me making that decision. I see a scary parallel to Palm in Rim.

Basically, what I am saying, is, if I can switch my secure info to the iPhone (or Android), that market is going to continue to grow in areas it really hasn't penetrated yet.

Jeff, don't bet on the Windows phone on Apple. But, I think Microsoft and Nokia may have something there in the long term.

And, don't count out Tim Cook and Jony Ive.
    nuvi 765t, iPhone 5, Still waiting on BB10 phones to review. Primarily Mac focused, only using my PC's when dragged kicking and screaming.

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Did I say Windows Phone? Oops. I meant webOS. No wait. I meant Garnet. No wait. I meant Cobalt.

I think throwing java over the side is a win for RIM. There were never more than a few dozen hundred BB apps even in the "heyday". It was always about the email. Push email. Push icons on the home screen. Push. Big whoop. Every phone does push. I know QNX can kick some serious butt. It has the potential to clean everybody's clock in performance if not in features. An RTOS on a handheld means stuff that has to happen on time happens on time (if the application is written correctly). Still it's a very long shot. At my office, more and more BB users are trading them in for Androids. The company still won't buy an iPhone but they will buy either a BB or an Android. If you bring your own phone, they'll allow you to mess up your iPhone with their exchange crap.

BTW, I expect great things from Cook and Ive but don't forget, there's also John Sculley.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini