Malware on iPad!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mobile Enthusiast

Default Malware on iPad!

I have had my iPad for two days but clicked on a site today in Safari and a bunch of malware flew in! I read I am to restore the iPad if this happens but now can I prevent this in future? What I did actually is restore from back up to avoid having to reinstall all my apps, as my apps are greyed out when I sync the iPad with computer. How common is it to get malware on the iPad? And is restoring from back up sufficient to remove malware, please?
    Palm TX, iPod Touch 2G, Samsung Jack, HP 2133 netbook, and now loving iPad!

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Default Re: Malware on iPad!

Quote Originally Posted by michali View Post
    I have had my iPad for two days but clicked on a site today in Safari and a bunch of malware flew in! I read I am to restore the iPad if this happens but now can I prevent this in future? What I did actually is restore from back up to avoid having to reinstall all my apps, as my apps are greyed out when I sync the iPad with computer. How common is it to get malware on the iPad? And is restoring from back up sufficient to remove malware, please?
    iPad malware "flew in?" I don't think so. I would appreciate a detailed description of what you saw on the screen during this entire incident before I would go along and recommend you do a restore. What web site were you on? What did you click on? What state is your iPad in that makes you think you need to restore?

Apps greyed out? Huh?

First let me say that you need to slow the heck down. Yes you can wipe your iPad if you wish. You can simply connect it to iTunes and pick "restore factory settings" and then you can restore from a recent backup.

But as far as apps being greyed out, it almost sounds like you tried a jailbreaking exercise and it went south? Even after an attempted jailbreak, you can get your iPad into DFU mode and restore the software to a factory state. Most urgently I want you to know there is no credible malware threat for Apple products at this time. The few instances of exploits do involve clicking links but the iPad is based on iPhone OS. Your iPad can't get infected any more easily than an iPhone, unless you jailbroke it. There are documented exploits directed at jailbroken iPhones that would probably work against iPad as well. But even in this case, using iTunes to "restore to factory defaults" gets you back up and running again.

I am more inclined to believe you have a quality issue with your iPad and you should contact Apple support. Call the Applecare number even if you didn't purchase Applecare. During the first few days of ownership, nobody at Apple is going to quibble about offering you support. Of course, the first thing they might have you do is go into DFU mode (if necessary) and do a restore. I don't suggest you make a backup until after you have contacted Apple. If something is messed up on your iPad, you might wipe out an older known good backup you have in iTunes.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Mobile Enthusiast

OK, slowing down!

Firstly, my iPad, like my iTouch is not jailbroken and I have no intention of jail breaking either.

I clicked on a site, which is fine when I click on it from my desktop (just checked!) so it is probably coincidence that suddenly a list of malware suddenly appears on my screen, and then a Windows Security window pops up asking if I wish to remove the malware. Not sure the wording is exact as it all happened very quickly. Safari then said it could not open the file. I now suspect going by what you and others have said that maybe something was trying to get me to buy a anti virus program, but is that not malware in itself? All seems well with the iPad.

However, I did a restore from back up and that is fine.

Now to the apps sync problem. From the day I bought the iPad, two days ago, I could not sync with iTunes on my desktop. I have posted on that issue and got no replies. I took it back to the store and it was fine there, so I suspect it is my desktop computer (Windows XP). I installed a new driver, uninstalled all the components of iTunes etc and reinstalled and still the computer and iTunes do not recognize the iPad. (Interestingly enough, since an update from iTunes, I have to uninstall Bonjour every time, or iTunes will not open properly. Even though I have the same version on my laptop and netbook, they do not have a problem with Bonjour. Not sure there is any connection here but just including all the dynamics of this situation!) Back to syncing, so I went to my laptop, and it syncs well with that apart from the apps which are greyed out. Everything else syncs. I also have a netbook and it syncs with that too, but the apps are greyed out.

r0k
    Mobile Deity

I suggest you connect to a computer and click "transfer purchases" to back up the apps you paid for. This copies them all to your computer even if you bought them in the app store on the iPad via wifi. I never sync apps. I just don't. In fact, I never sync. I simply back up my iPad and that's it. If it ever died, I would do a restore but I never sync. I don't like the way iTunes goes around deleting apps when I pick "do not sync apps". It seems Apple wants to bully me into dealing with apps through iTunes. I refuse. I treat my iPad as if it were a real computer and the only thing I'm willing to let iTunes do is back things up. You should contact Applecare. They will talk you through app sync. They claim it works. I don't care. Since I own both an iPod Touch and an iPad I have decided that sync is simply not for me.

I should also mention I have MobileMe so my contacts and calendar get pushed around wirelessly whenever I'm in range of wifi. So I have my stuff on my Mac, on my iPad, in the cloud and on my Blackberry. That's all I care about. iTunes sync reminds me too much of Palm hotsync so I don't bother (yet). Sorry I can't help you directly with that. Apple is a great software company but iTunes is crap. Since you, like me own two iThings you want to sync to one machine, I suggest you pick one and live with it or you spend some time on the phone with Apple so they can help you straighten out the sync mess. And it's a mess because Apple made it a mess. Nothing you did is to blame.

As for popups, popunders and scary looking (but harmless) virus warnings, I suggest you stop using Safari. Safari on Apple products is a little like IE on Microsoft products. Your ability to block advertising is not a priority to Apple who recently announced iAds. I suggest you buy Atomic browser or another browser that supports ad blocking. Surfing without an ad blocker is like walking through a swine flu clinic without a mask. I admit that I do use Safari on my iPad, but I have never had one of those popups you describe. The only thing I've ever had pop up is a Netflix ad which I simply dismissed. But your browsing habits are taking you to sites that are rude so that is the basis of my suggestion you need Atomic Browser (or another browser that supports ad blocking). I have heard firefox is coming to iPad. I would wait for that and be more cautious about your browsing habits until it becomes available.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

(returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Banned

rok, do you then ONLY get apps for your iPad OTA? Otherwise you'd have to sync, right? (I'm not iPad savvy, although I played around with one today for a little while.)

r0k
    Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Varjak View Post
    rok, do you then ONLY get apps for your iPad OTA? Otherwise you'd have to sync, right? (I'm not iPad savvy, although I played around with one today for a little while.)
    Correct. iTunes is big giant bloatware. I only get apps and content to my iPad OTA. I may never allow my iPad to sync. I won't get face recognition in Photos but I couldn't cram my 70 gig iPhoto library on any existing iPad model anyway so I really don't care that I can't sync.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Mobile Enthusiast

Thank you for the advice on Atomic Browser. I have downloaded the app and will use that.

I agree you don't really to sync apps as they can be redownloaded anyway at no cost.

As to your comment "But your browsing habits are taking you to sites that are rude so that is the basis of my suggestion you need Atomic Browser (or another browser that supports ad blocking). " the site I was checking was one I googled for the name of a lady who I met today who is a dress designer...hardly "rude" I think!! I think you may have jumped to the wrong conclusion about my browsing habits!

I look forward to Firefox, if it does actually come to the iPad.
    Last edited by michali; 05-27-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Mobile Consultant

I plug mine in once a week or so to sync up my apps. It's not quite good enough for me to assume that apps can be downloaded again for free.

I've got four apps that I've bought that have been since pulled from the AppStore - no way to get them OTA anymore. You shouldn't assume that ANY apps are going to be there tomorrow...

I've also got several apps that had features that were important to me crippled after an update. Since I had the apps on my computer, I was able to delete the app on the phone and resync the older version back on.

You don't own any of the software on the phone, so if you don't take precautions, you're completely at Apple's mercy if you're not proactive.

Your Super Moderator
    Atlanta, GA USA Devices: Misc Palm & iProducts

Quote Originally Posted by michali View Post
    < snip > As to your comment "But your browsing habits are taking you to sites that are rude so that is the basis of my suggestion you need Atomic Browser (or another browser that supports ad blocking). " the site I was checking was one I googled for the name of a lady who I met today who is a dress designer...hardly "rude" I think!! I think you may have jumped to the wrong conclusion about my browsing habits!

I look forward to Firefox, if it does actually come to the iPad.
    I think he was referring to the behavior of the sites themselves as rude, trying to install content, rather than the topic of the sites.

My iPad & I are glad to report that we haven't seen any of this type of activity thus far w/Safari. < lelisa13p crosses her fingers & knocks on wood, just in case... >
    Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.

Brighthand Forums - The Best Advice At Any Price

m130, Zire 71, Tungsten E, Palm TX, Eee PC, Aspire One, iPod Touch 2G, iPhone 3Gs, iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini-R

The Green Zac Efron

Go to Settings->Safari and make sure the popup blocker is On. I don't think any popup blocker is 100% perfect but I would guess Apple works frequently on improving it.