iPhone OS 3.1.2 A2DP / AVRCP (stereo Bluetooth) iPhone 3G / 3GS test results

Closed Thread
    Mobile Deity

Default iPhone OS 3.1.2 A2DP / AVRCP (stereo Bluetooth) iPhone 3G / 3GS test results

You may well remember that, immediately after the release of OS 3.0 and the 3G S, I’ve published quite a few tests on stereo Bluetooth (A2DP) headphones compatibility with both the iPhone 3G and the 3G S (see THIS for my latest report).

Now that version 3.1.2 is out and I had some time to research how it can be safely jailbroken, I’ve re-run the tests, particularly in order to find out how voice control over Bluetooth works. (BTW, speaking of jailbreaking 3.1.2, I’ll devote some more text to it so that you know where to download your jailbroken firmwares from and the like.)

If you have a 3G S and use your phone with a Bluetooth headset (be it either a traditional mono one or a real stereo), back in the 3.0 days you may have already wondered why Bluetooth couldn’t be used to voice control your iPhone. While I could come up with a somewhat decent solution (putting the iPhone upside down in my upper shirt pocket so that I can both easily reach the Home button and, the mike facing upwards, it can easily catch my words), it was still pretty awkward and can’t really be used on cold days when the phone is buried somewhere below the coat. No such problem anymore with version 3.1, fortunately!

As you can see in the official 3.1.(2) homepage HERE, the new version (starting with 3..1) allows for using Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets. I wanted to test this – along with the compatibility with some of the most widely used A2DP headphones.

Unfortunately, as you’ll see, because of the Voice Control introduction, general compatibility is a bit worse than with 3.0 with some models. The most important of them is Plantronics Pulsar 590. While this over-the-ear headphones model is certainly quite old, it still is one of the best-quality sets around. While it worked flawlessly under OS 3.0 on both models (3G and 3G S), it no longer does so under 3.1.2, where it completely lacks resuming support (after you pause the playback some time).
    Unfortunately, Gear4 BluPhones have lost their ability to initiate calls on both models. The same has happened to most? all? the Motorola stereo headphones I know – the HT820 and the S9 / S9-HD.

(HTML original HERE)
    Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices, 2006, 2007. Also see my articles in the PPC & SP Mag Expert blog HERE.

Mobile Deity

Default Re: iPhone OS 3.1.2 A2DP / AVRCP (stereo Bluetooth) iPhone 3G / 3GS test results

UPDATE (10/28/2009): Frontpage at iPhoneMVP.com

Let me show you the picture accompanying the iPhone MVP article:

No comments are needed ;-)
    Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices, 2006, 2007. Also see my articles in the PPC & SP Mag Expert blog HERE.

qnc

Default Re: iPhone OS 3.1.2 A2DP / AVRCP (stereo Bluetooth) iPhone 3G / 3GS test results

Hi i don't know if you are still monitoring this thread, but this has been the best explanation of bluetooth stereo devices.

I was wondering with the Altec backbeat 903 does it support AVCRP on the iphone. I have been all over the net looking for information and get mixed answers. Some say it works out of the box, other say it does not. I assume it does not but wanted to get an expert answer.

I have a 3GS on 3.1.2 and probably will not upgrade for along time.

I still have a 2G on 1.1.4 , but I digress.

My question to some one that understands all of this is, does the altec backbeat 903 support avcrp out of the box.

I dont want to spend $100 on a headset that will do the exact same thing my $20 rocketfish MAB2 headset will do. And with a $5 program I can have AVCRP.

Thanks.

Older 'n louder w/KB envy

welcome to Brighthand, qnc

if the OP doesn't update/respond to the thread, you could try to send him a PM (private message); click on his username, and in the dropdown, select 'Send a private message')
    My useful BH links -- BH FAQS/repair options/digitizer discussions
    ~"Friends are the Fambly we choose" ~"Shared pain is diminished, shared joy is increased"
    ~inanimate objects are smarter than we give them credit for~our lives are too short to not help others
    ~"when you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it" Dilbert 9/22/09
    ~RAiD: making no decision is really making the choice to do nothing, about something
    ~The beauty of learning to let go of anger and those things we cannot change is that you can make choices
    and deal with things on your own terms and not have them affect your whole day or those around you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by qnc View Post
    Hi i don't know if you are still monitoring this thread, but this has been the best explanation of bluetooth stereo devices.

I was wondering with the Altec backbeat 903 does it support AVCRP on the iphone. I have been all over the net looking for information and get mixed answers. Some say it works out of the box, other say it does not. I assume it does not but wanted to get an expert answer.

My question to some one that understands all of this is, does the altec backbeat 903 support avcrp out of the box.

I dont want to spend $100 on a headset that will do the exact same thing my $20 rocketfish MAB2 headset will do. And with a $5 program I can have AVCRP.

Thanks.
    I believe from the OP's studies that it does work out of the box; but search BH further. He has several extensive articles on BlueTooth headsets (as well as other things) that go into this further.

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by qnc View Post

Thanks.

Full AVRCP isn't supported on any of Apple's iPhone-based devices; that is, all you have is pause/resume.