iPhone 3G, push email, notification w/screen locked?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    In training!

Default iPhone 3G, push email, notification w/screen locked?

I'm now the owner of an iPhone 3G (the 8 gig ones are on sale for $99 with the impending release of the next gen iPhone!) I've only had it for a few days so I'm still working things out. I think I've got push email working via a Yahoo email account. But it seems like if the iPhone screen locks, the email notification goes to sleep, too. IOW, you have to unlock the screen in order to see any email notification. Which pretty much defeats the purpose(s) of having push email. I've Googled this problem & it seems I'm not the only one who has encountered it. But it still seems pretty stupid, if you ask me. So I'm wondering if there's something I've overlooked? Third party app that helps? Yahoo push email sucks?

BTW, I did jailbreak it, so if there's some fix available that route, I'm good to go.

TIA!

Training for my 5th marathon - PF Chang Rock & Roll - January 2010! For every mile you run in a marathon, you add one minute to your life. This enables you, at the age of 85, to spend an additional five months in a nursing home at $5,000/month.

Interesting threads:
    Best free TX applications
    Best SHAREware applications
    What do you use your TX for?

It's a state of mind..

Default Re: iPhone 3G, push email, notification w/screen locked?

Congratulations SR!!!!

Unfortunately I do not know much about Yahoo "push" except that it was lacking. I use Mome and it buzzes or dings my phone even it is locked. Acts just like a BB. Rumor has it that Gmail is trying to get true push the iPhone but it is not there yet.

I think Pupator, when he had his iPhone, had push email through a different service. I will have to look around and see what I can find.

Let us know how it all goes!
    Device history: Palm M500=>T5+IR Keybrd+2G Sd=>700P+2G SD=>755P+1G miniSDHC+Jawbone 2 => 16g iPhone 3G (Sold) => 16g iPhone4 & 16G iPad1 => 32Gig White iP5 (Still rockin' iPad1)

If you are into Twitter look me up @AUDad

Also on Google+

Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

My yahoo email either beeps or vibrates while device is locked depending on if I have it on silent or not.

Mobile Deity

yeah congrats SR, i've never not had MMe so not sure how Yahoo Push works w/o MMe. I get a beep or a buzz

Mickeylittle do you have MMe?
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, Plantronics 320, Mac OS 10.6.3 on a 15" MacBook Pro, Airport LAN & WiFi, att.net, PDA path: Palm i705 (2004 - son)=> Palm Tungsten TX (4/06 - sold) => Nokia 6682 (7/06 - 7/08) => iPhone 3G (7/08 - 7/10 now used by son) => iPhone 4 (7/10 - current w/ work SIM) & Nokia (?)(7/10 - current w/ home SIM)
    Review of iPhone/iPod Touch Apps
    Day One (iPhone)
    How to transfer Mac Palm Data 2 iPhone

Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

I'm a windows vista dude so I haven't looked at mobileme. Is it worth the $100 a year?

Mobile Deity

well yes and no. for a mac user i think it is, but for a PC user I'd have to really check it out.

in the mac world, iCal, AB and Mail are seamlessly synced desktop<=>iphone<=>MMe, also iDisk functions virtually like a FTP server for large files, even an option for the link to die after 30 days I believe, all seamless again form within MMe no other apps needed.

i thought it was MMe doing all the pushing but if you are getting Yahoo pushed w/o an additional app, MMe may not be worth the price if your sync services are acceptable to you, eh?
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, Plantronics 320, Mac OS 10.6.3 on a 15" MacBook Pro, Airport LAN & WiFi, att.net, PDA path: Palm i705 (2004 - son)=> Palm Tungsten TX (4/06 - sold) => Nokia 6682 (7/06 - 7/08) => iPhone 3G (7/08 - 7/10 now used by son) => iPhone 4 (7/10 - current w/ work SIM) & Nokia (?)(7/10 - current w/ home SIM)
    Day One (iPhone)

Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

See I don't have outlook so I'm not syncing my calendar or contacts. I've messed around without much success with goosync. I'm waiting for 3.0 to see if there is a better solution.

My real email account is with bellsouth.net but I couldn't send emails from it on 3G itwould only send on WiFi so I setup a Yahoo account and I have all my bellsouth mail automatically forward to yahoo and it works like a charm. People sent mail to my bellsouth account and within seconds it is automatically sent to my yahoo. I have push turned off and fetch set to check mail every 15 minutes. I guess if I needed my mail ASAP I could turn push on? I'm not that familiar with push.

Mobile Deity

yeah that's what i do, in the beginning i would push, but that's only for .me and .mac emails, and i had fetch set to 15 minutes, see fetch new data/advanced, POP and IMAP are fetch only 15 min, 30 min or hourly.

however, sometimes it appears that POP and IMAP are being pushed ... but after nine months or so the thrill wore off and i preferred better battery life so I now have .me, .mac, and yahoo and my university email all set to 30 minutes. But my laptop Apple Mail app is still set to 15 minutes (choices are 1, 5, 30 or an hour)
    Day One (iPhone)

It's a state of mind..

Quote Originally Posted by berylrb View Post
    ... but after nine months or so the thrill wore off and i preferred better battery life so I now have .me, .mac, and yahoo and my university email all set to 30 minutes. But my laptop Apple Mail app is still set to 15 minutes (choices are 1, 5, 30 or an hour)

Yeah, that is the only thing about "push". It and 3G will eat up a battery! This is one of the few true gripes I have against my iPhone, the battery. In fairness I really push mine through out the day during the week. On the weekend I will turn 3G off and turn WiFi on for my home network and my battery life will double.

Anyway, I wish Apple would take a page out of the BB play book about battery life.
    Device history: Palm M500=>T5+IR Keybrd+2G Sd=>700P+2G SD=>755P+1G miniSDHC+Jawbone 2 => 16g iPhone 3G (Sold) => 16g iPhone4 & 16G iPad1 => 32Gig White iP5 (Still rockin' iPad1)

If you are into Twitter look me up @AUDad

Also on Google+

Google'd.

SR, push going to "sleep" has been a problem on and off with the iPhone for a while. A few questions:

-Do you have push enabled in settings?
    -Do you have any other email accounts that are being checked?
    -Do you live in a 3G area? (If you're on EDGE much of the time, you won't get email pushed while you are on the phone, etc, which could be delaying its delivery later.)
    "Give them nothing! But take from them everything!"

Gear Diary