Day One.. The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    It's a state of mind..

Default Day One.. The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Today was the first real test for my new iPhone. I wanted to try and let you know what I found out, and in the "spirit" of objectivity (Palmgeek) I wanted to share with you the Good... the Bad... and yes the Ugly.

The GOOD:

BlueTooth. It was AWESOME!!!! Not one unpairing. Not one resetting of the Phone. I even had people ask me, that did not know that I got a new phone, if I had gotten a new phone because I sounded so good. My wife said it was very clear. In short, it worked like it was suppose to.

Push email with MoMe was Great! As a matter of fact it worked too good. I am not use to having my email pushed to me. It was wierd. Nice. But wierd. But it worked great.

Not one dropped call. Not one gabbled call. I even was talking on the phone will checking my email! That never happened on my Treo.

I did a quick speed test on my data connection and I got 1645Kps. With Sprint I never got even close to that, even when I was in a good EvDo area which was not that often.

Visual VoiceMail was great. Much easier than my Treo. Two quick taps on the screen and I am listening to the Voice Mail that I want to listen to. No more listening to 10 other voicemails before getting to the one I want. VVM is much easier and quicker.

I could not be happier with this part of the phone, which are some of the main reasons i went with the iPhone.

The BAD:

Battery Life was not that great. It was no better than my Treo. I had to put it on my Car charger by 2:00pm today. Now before you start throwing too many stones let me explain my day. Now let me start off by saying that over the long weekend I got 2 days out of my phone on a single charge with moderate use. ie. Almost no phone calls, a few SMS, a few emails, and mostly web surfing and installing apps. So 2 days on a single charge is not that bad.

But...Today my day started at 7:00am (as usual) on the phone. I had 3G on all day, GPS on all day, and BT on all day. No WiFi. I received or sent 25 emails today. All with LARGE attachments. I do not get a lot of emails but they all have large attachments with them. OH! and I spent 4 hours and 14 mins. talking on the phone via BT today.

So you can see I do not think that I am an average user. Even my Treo when brand new could hardly make it through a day like today without some help. That is when the BT worked. I could save some power by turning off GPS but not much I do not think.

Overall I am disappointed in this aspect of the iPhone, but that is why I have a car charger.

The UGLY:

I almost hate to call it this but ....it is ugly. It has to do with looking up contacts with in the phone app. Really it has to do with the way I work and the phone app. Keep in mind I am in the car almost all day talking on the phone. Hence the all day BT. Dialing a number on the iPhone is actually easier than on my Treo. The bottons are so much bigger that it makes just dialing a number much better than a qwerty keypad. The problem comes in looking up a contact with in the phone app....while driving. There is no search feature that I can find. Now there is with in Contacts but not the phone app contacts and scrolling with your finger while driving is down right dangerous! This is where my Treo was easier to deal with. It's search feature was very good. I will need to find a better way to look up contacts.
    I will say that if you are sitting at a desk or standing around, this is really not an issue. It is only when you are driving that it becomes cumbersome.

Well, that is day one. Like any new device I certainly have some bugs and tweeks to work out, but overall I am VERY, VERY happy with my choice. As I stumble upon new things I will try to report back. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.
    Device history: Palm M500=>T5+IR Keybrd+2G Sd=>700P+2G SD=>755P+1G miniSDHC+Jawbone 2 => 16g iPhone 3G (Sold) => 16g iPhone4 & 16G iPad1 => 32Gig White iP5 (Still rockin' iPad1)

If you are into Twitter look me up @AUDad

Also on Google+

Banned

Default Re: Day One.. The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Good stuff Brick. I have to say that the lack of voice-dialing (come on Apple, it's only been on my phones since my Motorola V60!) was a major disincentive for the iPhone for me. That and no video cam and no card slot (although that's a lesser issue). I'm eager to hear more reports from the front!

hal
    itchy and cold feet hal

brickman65, this is an interesting report from the trenches. Now, from the things I know from you and your habits, this is an interesting example for the iPhone. This thread should have been titled "put an iPhone in the hands of a businessman, just to see what happens".

The iPhone is not, as of today, dubbed as a business-like phone. But that doesn't mean it can't handle the job, just it wasn't intended for that. But then some. Some time ago, when people started foreseeing the demise of the Palm OS platform because of the arrival of the iPhone, I used to answer: "tell me just how many companies are issuing iPhones to their corporate and business-class employees". Some time later, HSBC bought a truckload of iPhones without declaring purpose, and there is a possibility that my statement is already obsolete.

Bluetooth: there are many reports speaking bad of the iPhone's BT performance. Either you got lucky, or Apple has already worked that out. Either way, cheers to you! But one little detail arises here: BT can be effective, but by no way is it efficient. It sucks a lot of stamina off a battery. The reason is that it works on a dedicated frequency on emissions intended to pass through diverse layers of mass that can be present, it makes devices "talk one each other loud" by means of light, and I have been explained that the BT devices usually include some correction algorithms to solve incidental little lacks of connection. As a good comparison, Palm keyboards, IR and BT, work both on the same powersource; the batteries in a Palm IR keyboard can last a whole year; and the batteries in a Palm BT keyboard can last, at best, 3 months. There may be a good reason for the battery consumption you post.

The battery: after using it with BT a lot, let's remember the size of the screen. Man, that gotta pull power off a battery. Besides, I have the suspicion that the capacitive contact technology that makes the touchscreen of the iPhone work is a bit more advanced and more energy consuming than, say, the touchscreen of the Palms. Neither efficient again. But I bet you can live with this if the pros are significant.

The PIM apps: well, I just can say you surely were warned. The iPhone's PIM apps have been described to me as bad. And it was by no way designed to be used single-handed. That one, I perceive is one setback quite inherent to that platform. But let's hope a decent voice dial surfaces and you'll gripe no more over this one.

Cheers on you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda. "Nothing is neither wear-proof, nor fail-proof, least fool-proof." - HAL. "Indeed, fool-proof inventions have been attempted, but don't work, fools are pretty witty ones." - Murphy's Law. "Even worse than a traitor, is a dumb@$$ with initiative." - Gral. Santa Ana
    Link: Palm resets

Neighborhood Mobilist

You havent broken the battery in yet. Give it a week at your current usage rates and things will marginally improve to a more satisfiable level.

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Congrats, brickman65!

Not sure what to do with push email, eh? I'm not sure what I'd do without it. I bought 5 items on ebay from a local seller late last night. I asked for a total for local pickup around midnight. They sent the total some time in the middle of the night. I reached over for my phone this morning when I was getting dressed and it was flashing. Sure enough there was the total. I wandered down to my desktop pc and paid for it. I can pick it up after work today. In the "bad old days" I would have to pull this up via web mail at the office and try to deal with this at work among dozens of distractions.

People often try to use email as if it were SMS. As if it would go right through. Every day, I hear half a dozen times "Didn't you get my email?" Now, if I have to answer no, it isn't because of some infrastructure issue on my end.

I hope Antoine is right about the battery life thing. I got my 8830 used so the battery is already "broken in". It's been unbelievable. Constant network access all day long and this thing just sips battery. While I haven't used my 8830 like you used your iphone with 4 hours of bluetooth calling, I have had some lengthy conference calls that would have killed my 755p battery and it's still 75% full. I hope you are able to work out some sort of charging regime that works for your routine.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

Mobile Deity

I read somewhere that if you turn off 3G radio you can almost double the battery life. With 3G off the iPhone just uses the older slower service. Some people who have never used the iPhone dispute the power gain, and I for one could care less, but it may be something you could try during a long day away from the car to get more battery life.

Good luck and thanks for the report.

Recovering Palm Fiddler

Brickman, you should try one of the voice dialing applications. VoiceBoxDial is (was?) free, and it works very well. Say Who is another, and it has always been free. It also works well. Both allow you to say things like, "Call Susan Smith at home," or, "Call John Doe's mobile phone." Both can deal with those directions, even when there is more than one phone number in a contact. They dial automatically if you set them that way.

I seem to recall that there is at least one other similar choice, but I have pretty much settled on VoiceBoxDial for myself.

You might also be interested in a new app, Q Contacts, which searches the contacts list more like a BlackBerry does, progressively narrowing the possibilities as you add each letter to the search.

Don't be trying to dial the iPhone from the contacts list while driving! At least not in my city!
    Palm V --> (Palm Vx+Palm IIIc) --> Palm m515 --> Palm TX --> iPhone --> iPhone 3G
    Firefox 3

Mobile Deity

All good replies I would just add use groups to organize your contacts that way when you hit a letter on the right you willsee most In That group whose name starts with that letter
    iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, Plantronics 320, Mac OS 10.6.3 on a 15" MacBook Pro, Airport LAN & WiFi, att.net, PDA path: Palm i705 (2004 - son)=> Palm Tungsten TX (4/06 - sold) => Nokia 6682 (7/06 - 7/08) => iPhone 3G (7/08 - 7/10 now used by son) => iPhone 4 (7/10 - current w/ work SIM) & Nokia (?)(7/10 - current w/ home SIM)
    Review of iPhone/iPod Touch Apps
    Day One (iPhone)
    How to transfer Mac Palm Data 2 iPhone

Big Shot in the Lab

Ferd beat me to it! I would also like to give the nod to Say Who?, which was free and probably is still pretty cheap. You touch it, once it activates, you touch and hold a HUGE button in the center of the screen and speak your contact name. It then gives you a screen showing the contact's info and you can cancel or switch numbers (there is a delay, which I believe is customizable, in dialing what it thinks is the main number). I have had 100% success with using this great app.

Now, the caveat: After I installed and used Say Who I started experiencing crashes and startup failures (when I turned on the phone I got the "sync with iTunes" & emergency call screen). These have not reappeared since applying the 2.2 FW update, so I don't know if Say Who was truly to blame.

Recovering Palm Fiddler

There is a new voice dialer on the App Store today, called (go figure) Voice Dialer. Free so far. I haven't tried it, but it's another option for those still experimenting.

Say Who is still free.
    Palm V --> (Palm Vx+Palm IIIc) --> Palm m515 --> Palm TX --> iPhone --> iPhone 3G
    Firefox 3

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast