Why GSM?!?!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why GSM?!?!

Billbeme

Default Why GSM?!?!

My only question is why for GSM? What about us CDMA users? Are we expected to switch?

-Bill

r0k
    Mobile Deity
    (in the Palm of God's Hand *Detroit)....... Device: iPhone 5

Default Re: Why GSM?!?!

CDMA is on its way out. It will be replaced in 18 months. Of course they were saying this 72 months ago! If I had to pick a standard to support, I'd pick GSM and have a world wide audience. Apple can release a CDMA version when they get around to it. CDMA will be around for years to come but the first release needs to be usable in more than one country. Rather than thumb their nose at the world, they chose to thumb their nose at some users in the US. GSM users were all raving at Palm for ignoring them when the 700 series was being launched. It's just a matter of priorities with limited development budget. Give 'em time and they'll release the phone on CDMA. If these things sell well, the CDMA carriers will beat down the doors at Apple and a CDMA version won't be that far behind.
    -Jeff
    (r0k)

Palm Devices List (updated 10/17/2011)

sharp - early 1990's -> palm iii (late 1998) ... T|T3 -> ipaq 3115
    (returned to store) ->TX ... Treo 650-> 755p ->bb8830+iPod Touch->RAZR M + iPhone5+iPad mini

TabletPCReview Editor

r0k has hit the nail on the head. The number of GSM users worldwide vastly outnumbers CDMA users. Simple economics.

Colloquially, you dip one toe in the water, not two.

p.s. Wow, two clichés in one short post.
    Last edited by Ed Hardy; 01-24-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Spelling!
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

Palm Pilot

And two twos in one sentence! I'm not sure how you dip a two in the water, though. Do you hold on to the top, or the straight part at the bottom?
    Regards,

Stan

M105->Zire->Zire71->T3 > Lifedrive + N800 > EeePC + Samsung Captivate + Asus Transformer Prime + SGS3

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B. Franklin

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by r0k View Post
    CDMA is on its way out. It will be replaced in 18 months. Of course they were saying this 72 months ago! If I had to pick a standard to support, I'd pick GSM and have a world wide audience. Apple can release a CDMA version when they get around to it. CDMA will be around for years to come but the first release needs to be usable in more than one country. Rather than thumb their nose at the world, they chose to thumb their nose at some users in the US. GSM users were all raving at Palm for ignoring them when the 700 series was being launched. It's just a matter of priorities with limited development budget. Give 'em time and they'll release the phone on CDMA. If these things sell well, the CDMA carriers will beat down the doors at Apple and a CDMA version won't be that far behind.
    Don't bet on a cdma iPhone in the near future. Cingular has it as an exclusive for at least 2 years. This includes any future version of the iPhone.

Glor

Still a moderator ...

Simple economics indeed: 2 billion GSM subscriptions and over 81% share of the global market !

See here, this article (dated july 2006) indicates more and more CDMA carriers are either building a GSM overlay on their network or completely switching over. Not one single GSM carrier made the reverse move ...

I don't believe a CDMA version will ever be build for iPhone.
    Not unless the requesting carrier is willing to pay for the additional development costs ... they are not going to do this since it is a niche product. And Apple is surely not going to do it since it would hurt their nice 50% margin
    Digital since 1980, handheld since 2001
    M105 (retired but still working), T|E (sold)
    T3 + ADAPT BT GPS + Viamichelin 3.2 + Palm WiFi card
    Treo 500v with WM6.1 and Treo 680 in the drawer
    Desire S - rooted -Virtuous Quattro beta 5 - Ice Cream Sandwich
    Acer Iconia A500 Tablet - rooted - Thor A500 ROM v14.2 - Honeycomb 3.2.1

Having a rather busy schedule at work, so I am not around that much lately.

That's all folks...

Interesting article Holvy. What's mind boggling in regards to that though, is that Verizon and Sprint keep on pushing out more CDMA. Their networks are huge across the US. Something makes me think they aren't going to abandon that technology any time soon.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Billbeme

So theoretically, what do you do if you want the iPhone and (literally) 95% of everyone you know has a Verizon CDMA account? What is the major difference between CDMA and GSM? Is a data plan cheaper? Does anyone have one and wish they had the other? Will people copy the iPhone as soon as they can to bring it to a CDMA network? How is GSM coverage? These questions and more at 11:00...
    Billbeme

TabletPCReview Editor

Quote Originally Posted by glorfindeal View Post
    Don't bet on a cdma iPhone in the near future. Cingular has it as an exclusive for at least 2 years. This includes any future version of the iPhone.
    I know it's a Cingular exclusive, but where did you hear this will last for two years? A typical exclusivity contract is for three months.
    I am the former Site Editor of Brighthand, but I now run the sister-site TabletPCReview. Follow me on Twitter or Google+

Brighthand Reviewer

Quote Originally Posted by Billbeme View Post
    My only question is why for GSM? What about us CDMA users? Are we expected to switch?
    Besides the market-size issue, there's also the fact that GSM carriers are much more leniant about what phones they allow on their network. Verizon, for instance, exerts a large amount of control over even the basic design of the phones they carry.