Breaking news: real-life, comparative HTC Diamond 2 shots! - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mobile Deity

Default Re: Breaking news: real-life, comparative HTC Diamond 2 shots!

Alas, I feel a disturbing, unpleasant, almost fearful sensation deep in my gut - I believe that our friend HTC has been a little bit too successful of late and is now retiring towards the same bureaucratic senescence to which other inertial entities like HP, Microsoft, and IBM have also succumbed. Corporate dinosaurs don't innovate. It's the hungry little mammals that are forced to be cunning if they want to prosper.
    You may call it the RAZR phenomenon, but it had its many precedents, such as the PowerPC Macs, the Palm PDAs and Treos, the Commodore 64, the Nintendo Famicom, the SEGA Genesis, the IBM PC and not the least, the grand daddy of them all, the IBM System 360 mainframe. Sun, HP all went the same way. Nokia is also full of it. So is Sony such as the Walkman.

First you created a defining product. Because this product is so successful, you literally build a product culture around it. Basically instead of innovating, you create more and more sub variations of the product. You are comfortable with what you have, and you don't want to rock the boat of success.

Which makes you vulnerable to a competitor that is desperate and far hungrier. This shark is more aggressive and more willing to take risks. I would say, if there is a shark now, it would be Palm, because it is in a do or die situation and is willing to do the most desperate thing---hatch a product that is a clear and clean break from its legacy.

With its recent success, RIM is in danger of falling to the trap as well. It seems to be hatching one variation of the same theme after another.

Nokia is clearly into this trap.

This tends to move into cycles. Success leads to failure, which leads to desperation and sometimes success again if the company managed to survive.

Motorola is also moving to the desperate cycle. Most of its new product launches ,from the ruggedized WM phones, to the China only ZM900, to the planned Android offerings all say buh bye to the RAZR legacy.

The original HTC Touch (GSM version) was HTC's breakthrough. It moved them from nameless ODM maker in Taiwan to someone in the world scene with a global level of consumer design, something that puts it ahead of would be rivals like Acer and Asus. Then it was followed by the Diamond, and then everything else are variations of the theme.

But HTC is not completely into the "comfort" cycle yet, the G1 and the Magic shows HTC is still willing to take risks.

Village Idiot 2.0

I hope you're right about Palm being a hungry shark.

But there is something called the piranha effect, and it applies to business as well as anything else that's competitive. A piranha must be lean, quick, and agile enough to avoid being eaten by other piranhas. Yet it must also be large and strong enough to be able to muscle into the feeding zone.

Sadly, I think of Palm as more of a very fat shark, bloated by layer upon layer of overpaid underskilled middlemanagers and admins who push papers around between each other in an effort to look very busy. Yes, I do hope Palm will become a fearsome player in this market again, but I think it's more likely to just get eaten or starved out instead.
    Mobile widgets modded iPAQ h2210B modded Axim X51v P3050 Touch/Vogue (TELUS) Satellite A210-MS9 ~39GB flash storage ULT31803 & SUN-300A flash readers Go Wi-Fi! P500 802.11b/g CFIO CFU2 USB1.1 Host CFIO DSCF-100 RS-232 CFIO BT-359 SiRF-III GPS ER-6 Earphones TI-83+ iPAQ hx2750 iPAQ hx4705 Axim X50v Palm TX Inspiron 8000 KDA (-built)
    The optimist sees the glass is half full; the pessimist sees the glass is half empty; the engineer sees the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.[/Konrad]

Mobile Deity

WAS a fat shark was a better way to put Palm. All that fat has to be fired away.

Time will tell if they will succeed or sink. The kind of "think safe" management that would have opposed a concept like the Palm Pre had to go away before the Pre is even launched.

I remembered how a company named Apple was in a number of do or die situations. Yes, it too had its fatty tissues. Seems like companies have their lean and binge cycles.

Village Idiot 2.0

I don't think corporate liposuction is realistic.

If Palm is to get lean and mean again then it needs to start working out, hard. Unfortunately, it takes time - maybe months and months - to see any real results from all this hard work. Palm doesn't have any time left, it's morbidly obese.
    Mobile widgets modded iPAQ h2210B modded Axim X51v P3050 Touch/Vogue (TELUS) Satellite A210-MS9 ~39GB flash storage ULT31803 & SUN-300A flash readers Go Wi-Fi! P500 802.11b/g CFIO CFU2 USB1.1 Host CFIO DSCF-100 RS-232 CFIO BT-359 SiRF-III GPS ER-6 Earphones TI-83+ iPAQ hx2750 iPAQ hx4705 Axim X50v Palm TX Inspiron 8000 KDA (-built)
    The optimist sees the glass is half full; the pessimist sees the glass is half empty; the engineer sees the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.[/Konrad]

Mobile Deity

So you feel they have not shed enough fat or reorganized enough.

I was hoping that Palm would once again, be like Apple, but without the Messiah. Certainly their balance sheets cannot afford that fat, and they have to lay off, even massively. Even Nokia has laid off.

The good news for Palm is they have not lost as much as Sony Ericsson, which is about half a billion or that their stock isn't as low as GM. Yet. But they are in a cash burn situation.

Yeah, they still need to cost cut some more. And they need to launch the Pre in April, not May, before Apple fires its iPhone year model 2009 in June.

The only option for them after that is to get bought out..

Village Idiot 2.0

I used to think much the same ... until somebody asked me: who would want to buy Palm? They have no assets, no people, no patents, an aging product line, financial difficulties, and an increasingly tarnished name. Well, they do have assets and people - just not any worth buying, other players already have better. Doesn't matter how many golden stars your brand new marketing people or execs are ... they obviously haven't been improving the product, they obviously haven't been selling it either. Palm RIP, sorry, I wish it weren't so.

Mobile Deity

I've handled iPhones and Berries before, and - I could be wrong - but I was immediately struck by the impression that none of them would survive the vigourous sorts of abuse that my devices tend to be exposed to.
    I got berries in the house, specifically the Storm and the 8707 world phone, and I've seen a lot of berries in my island. They all seem sturdy to me, especially the Bold which has a metal back. The Storm is also partly metal and its not a light phone either. The Curves are more plastic, but I don't see them any weaker than HTC Touches which I think has a well designed form factor.

With regards to robustness of Apple products, my first gen iPod Touch has taken a number of falls, with dings to show on her aluminum case. Rubbing alcohol has also fallen into it, penetrated the screen to cause some mild discoloration. The device continues to work. I'm quite confident about the robustness of Apple's iPods and iTouches in my experience.

I cant tell you how many people I see with either Blackberry Bold(?) or iPhones. These are the "best" avalible and those marketed as the best. I've seen few, if any, Moguls, and NONE of the Touch family...
    First time I ever saw a Touch, its a GSM version in one of the Asian countries.

With regards to HTC phone rarerity, in our area, I don't see a lot of people with the HTC Diamonds, but it is offered in one of our carriers. But the few times I've seen them, in one particular instance, I saw one in the hands of a woman who didn't really strike me as a techie type. I've also seen HTC Touch in the hands of an elderly woman, as well as a teenage girl, and both don't strike me as the techie types either. I've seen the Touch hang around with our local dealers, at first the unlocked GSM version, but later the various CDMA versions. I've also seen TyTn II with one carrier, and Moguls, both silver and black, with another carrier. There is still an old stock of the S620 too. In our little island, the carrier that supports CDMA brings in various US carrier labeled HTCs, while the ones that support GSM, rarely brings HTC and if they do, its a bit way overpriced... The GSM carriers are far too busy pushing Nokias and Blackberries.

I've seen the Touch Dual with my friend who is a lawyer and he uses it to tether to his laptop. Of course he isn't in the US and neither is the phone. The Touch Dual looks like the ordinary Touch, but the bottom can slide out to reveal a T9 keypad.
    Last edited by Drillbit; 03-31-2009 at 10:48 AM.