To David Hettel or anyone else: Wi-FI Sniffing

Closed Thread
    Mobile Consultant

Default To David Hettel or anyone else: Wi-FI Sniffing

If I am correct, you have been both, very interested and knowledgeable, about Wi-Fi related software on the 211. If you or anyone else has already, or gets the chance to, could you check out AirScanner Sniffer on your 210? http://www.airscanner.com/downloads/

I read about it on another site yesterday, and apparently it can be used to test the security, of your own network, as well as be used to retrieve network keys (only interested in seeing if it can capture my own keys of course).

I got into bed late last night and got right back out of bed, when I realized that I had finally got the program to work for a few minutes. I was walking around my house in the dark, felines following behind and my 211 making loud rapid beeping sounds (reminded of Ghostbusters for some reason) and a lot of data logs showing up in the program. Now I can’t seem to get it sniffing again……

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: To David Hettel or anyone else: Wi-FI Sniffing

wait. ur 211 made LOUD sounds?!?

Mobile Consultant

Oh it was pretty loud contrary to the reported whispering 211 speaker. Got the attention of some of the animals in the surrounding rooms.

Mobile Enthusiast

AFAIK, there are no apps currently on the market that can find network keys using just a PPC. The sniffers available just caapture info for a regular PC to analyze.

There is one application Cain & Abel (google to find the website) that will 'just' listen to the message traffic and retain "passwords" and "user id's" in accordance with predetermined filters. There is a Pocket PC as well as a regular XP (and of course *nix). Check out their website for details. I'm not sure the Pocket PC version is still hosted there, but it IS around. Nothing to do with network keys though.

Mobile Consultant

Snivvy,

I downloaded Cain but I'll give up as it's all a bit over my head.