Common questions/complaints about the iPAQ 210

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chief cook/bottle washer

Default Common questions/complaints about the iPAQ 210

Having a few minutes, I thought I'd whip up a quick concise list of most of the nagging questions/complaints that seem to bother a lot of the 210 owners on this forum. Feel free to submit updates and I'll edit them in.

UPDATE: Added link to thread about USB OTG cable

These are in no particular order.

1. The screen is squishy! or, Why do I have to push so hard to get taps to register?

It appears that the screen is a completely different design from previous models. While the LCD itself looks great indoors, and is still very readable outdoors (even under sunlight), the touchscreen portion seems to be some new design most of us are not too fond of. The screen feels much "squishier" than previous iPAQs, and most other PDAs in general.

This does improve some, but not much, as the screen "breaks in". There have also been reports that using a quality screen protector will greatly improve the responsiveness.

2. Why is my battery slowly losing power, around 2-3% per hour?

Most testing done by users of this forum point to the CF card being the culprit. Even though there is an option in the control panel to disable power to the CF card when the device is in standby mode, it doesn't seem to do anything.

There have been reports that different brands of cards behave differently. Please post your results and I will update this list (most of the list below was taken from other forum posts):

Transcend 16GB 133x: 1-2%/hour drain
    Sandisk 16GB "Extreme III": 1-2%/hour drain
    Adata 4GB 266X Turbo: 0.6%/hour (thanks GloryQuest)

3. Whats with the low speaker volume? I can barely hear my alarms.

Even though HP initially advertised the 210 as having a dual speaker configuration, sound is currently only coming out of the back speaker. The sound output of this speaker is less than previous iPAQ models.

HP has said that they are looking into this issue, and it is possible that they will release a software update for it in the future. In the meantime, you can re-record your alarm sound files to be louder as a workaround.

4. How do I hard reset?

Unless you have very flexible hands, its probably easiest to use the utility provided on the CD that came with the device.

5. I thought the 210 was supposed to have 18 bit color. What gives?

Sorry, but HP was inaccurate in its early marketing material. Whether this was a misprint or an outright lie, you will have to decide for yourself.

The screen is 16-bit color.

6. Why does my device go nuts when I try to charge it via mini-USB?

Normal USB ports dont have enough current available to properly charge the 210. You can set the charge to "slow" in the control panel, but this is indeed very slow, in fact so slow that if you leave the device turned on it is not fast enough to overcome the drain from having it turned on. Stick with the 24-pin port for charging.

7. Cases? Cradles?

Cases:
    PDAir - Piel Frama - Sena Cases (preorder) - EBCases
    Cradles:
    Boxwave
    As BH-T3 noted in his post below, you can't use this cradle if your 210 has an extended battery attached to it. (Thanks BH-T3 for pointing this out)

8. Are there any software updates from HP yet?

Yes. Here is the link:
    Update page

There are reports of the latest (1.10) driver not installing properly in Vista. If you run into this problem, grab the .cab file from this forum thread.

9. Compatible software?

There is a sticky thread for this.

10. The bright blue LED is driving me mad!

Fear not. Read this: How to disable the WLAN blue LED!

11. Whats this hiss?

A slight hiss can be heard on most units when using headphones. See HP 210 / HP 214 Audio Quality.

ceril points out that there is a new "HD" sound driver available called WOW. I have not tested it personally yet, but there have been reports of improvements over the stock driver.

12. Why is my iPAQ Wireless control program acting so odd?

Its easily fixed. See IPAQ Wireless is only WLAN - help?.

juttonn reports:
    "I've found a permanent fix for the problem that works for me at least. I installed the trial of MemMaid (I think they give you a 10 day evaluation period). Anyway, in looking through the options of the program, one of the tabs lists the startup programs and in what order they load. Both the Bluetooth stack (BTTrayCE.ink) and the HP wireless utility (iPAQWireless.ink), among others, are listed. I had the idea of pushing the BTTrayCE.ink up to the top of the list (to be loaded first) and the iPAQWireless.ink to the bottom of the list (to be loaded last) hoping that would give the Bluetooth stack enough time to finish loading so that the HP wireless utility would find it when it loaded, and it is working for me. Now every time my device does a soft reset, the Wireless utility shows both WiFi and Bluetooth!

I'm sure there are other programs that could do the same thing, or by editing the registry directly, but MemMaid (http://www.dinarsoft.com/memmaid/) is a free download and the evaluation period is plenty of time to make the change."

13. Does the device support USB host?

Yes, there is a cable for it. Please see the following thread:
    FB112AA#AC3 USB Host Cable Found!
    We're still waiting to see reports from the folks that have ordered it. Hopefully it will support enough devices to justify the very high cost of the cable.

---

Thanks to all the forum contributors! (Most of this information comes from them.)
    Last edited by KFulton; 05-02-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Yarrenbool

Default Re: Common questions/complaints about the iPAQ 210

Quote Originally Posted by KFulton View Post
    Having a few minutes, I thought I'd whip up a quick concise list of most of the nagging questions/complaints that seem to bother a lot of the 210 owners on this forum. Feel free to submit updates and I'll edit them in.

3. Whats with the low speaker volume? I can barely hear my alarms.

Even though HP initially advertised the 210 as having a dual speaker configuration, sound is currently only coming out of the back speaker. The sound output of this speaker is less than previous iPAQ models.

HP has said that they are looking into this issue, and it is possible that they will release a software update for it in the future. In the meantime, you can re-record your alarm sound files to be louder as a workaround.
    Having moved from a Palm Tungsten T3 to a 210 I find that I can no longer depend on my PDA to sound an alarm that is loud enough to be really useful.

4. How do I hard reset?

Unless you have very flexible hands, its probably easiest to use the utility provided on the CD that came with the device.
    That's why we have a mouth as well as two hands. Hands for the two buttons on the front of the 210, the mouth to hold a stylus to push the reset button on the side!

7. Cases? Cradles?

Cases:
    PDAir - Piel Frama - Sena Cases (preorder) - EBCases
    Cradles:
    Boxwave
    And not a single case or cradle to take the 210 with the 4400 mAh extended battery attached!

Thanks to all the forum contributors! (Most of this information comes from them.)
    Ain't that the truth!

Mobile Enthusiast

12. Why is my iPAQ Wireless control program acting so odd?

Its easily fixed. See IPAQ Wireless is only WLAN - help?.
    Also posted on the above-referenced thread, but thought I'd put a copy here as well. A permanent fix that has made my life a little bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by juttonn View Post
    I've found a permanent fix for the problem that works for me at least. I installed the trial of MemMaid (I think they give you a 10 day evaluation period). Anyway, in looking through the options of the program, one of the tabs lists the startup programs and in what order they load. Both the Bluetooth stack (BTTrayCE.ink) and the HP wireless utility (iPAQWireless.ink), among others, are listed. I had the idea of pushing the BTTrayCE.ink up to the top of the list (to be loaded first) and the iPAQWireless.ink to the bottom of the list (to be loaded last) hoping that would give the Bluetooth stack enough time to finish loading so that the HP wireless utility would find it when it loaded, and it is working for me. Now every time my device does a soft reset, the Wireless utility shows both WiFi and Bluetooth!

I'm sure there are other programs that could do the same thing, or by editing the registry directly, but MemMaid (http://www.dinarsoft.com/memmaid/) is a free download and the evaluation period is plenty of time to make the change.

Mobile Enthusiast

an excellent review! Concise. You might want to add about the USB host cable that is or isn't and if it is - can be between 50-100$

and for the sound problems, I think someone mentioned also WOW HD as another option for the sound fix.

In regards to the screen - squishiness was one difficulty. Another was a difficulty in getting the scroll bar vectors to work well. There is a recent thread on this issue. Questionable difficulties between the screen and the screen protector was also noted as an option.

Can you check the link for software updates of the 210, please? I tried it and it wasn't working for me.

Again thanks for the review!
    Last edited by ceril; 05-02-2008 at 03:49 AM.

Chief cook/bottle washer

Quote Originally Posted by ceril View Post
    Can you check the link for software updates of the 210, please? I tried it and it wasn't working for me.
    I just tried it in Firefox on my Ubuntu install, and it came right up. Are you using a different browser?
    EDIT: I was able to find the problem you spoke of. Its the brighthand.com ad system; it was intercepting the "HP iPAQ 210" and redirecting it elsewhere. Should be fixed now. Thanks for pointing this out.

---

Thanks for all the comments, I will edit them into the main list later today.

iPAQ 210 Owner

There have been reports that different brands of cards behave differently. Please post your results and I will update this list (most of the list below was taken from other forum posts):

Transcend 16GB 133x: 1-2%/hour drain
    Sandisk 16GB "Extreme III": 1-2%/hour drain
    The last time I checked (yesterday), my Adata 4GB 266X Turbo CF card was draining 0.6% per hour (6% over 10 hours).

Brighthand Reviewer

Thread stickied.

Mobile Deity

Yeah, definitely worth a sticky - I've also heartily recommended it in my forthcoming 214 review.
    Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices, 2006, 2007. Also see my articles in the PPC & SP Mag Expert blog HERE.

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by juttonn View Post
    Also posted on the above-referenced thread, but thought I'd put a copy here as well. A permanent fix that has made my life a little bit easier.
    I have moved the BTTrayCE to the top and move iPAQWireless to the bottom of the startup by MemMaid as suggested but the BT icon still sometimes disappeared after a softreset.

Then something came to my mind, if the BT icon can reapper after killing iPAQWireless by Task Manager it means that there is actually no need to load iPAQWireless at startup. What I did was to disable loading iPAQWireless at the startup by Memmaid and the result is that everytime I softreset my PDA I can still find my BT icon page in iPAQWireless.

I hope the above is useful to those who had suffering this annoying BT disappering problem for a long time.

BigVoice

Mobile Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by ceril View Post
    an excellent review! Concise. You might want to add about the USB host cable that is or isn't and if it is - can be between 50-100$

and for the sound problems, I think someone mentioned also WOW HD as another option for the sound fix.

In regards to the screen - squishiness was one difficulty. Another was a difficulty in getting the scroll bar vectors to work well. There is a recent thread on this issue. Questionable difficulties between the screen and the screen protector was also noted as an option.

Again thanks for the review!
    In regards to the squishiness in getting the scroll bar vectors to work well, You may try the Function Key setting in the Control Panel and increse the sensitivity of the up/down control. After the adjustment I have the feeling that the response of the scroll bar has improved. Hope this can help.

BigVoice