Memory Loss still a HUGE Problem !! - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mobile Enthusiast

Red face Re: Memory Loss still a HUGE Problem !!

Quote Originally Posted by neillm View Post
    For the record, what make of cards do you have?
    I have the Transcend 16 GB CF and a Sandisk 8BG SDHC Card. I am embarassed to say, but one thing I noticed this morning before I left for work, was that I had about 7 Programs still running on my iPAQ...could not believe that. I have not yet installed Wisbar Advance to automatically and properly close Programs, so for now I stopped all running programs with 38% remaining. I also put both Cards back in my 210 and will see what the battery percentage is when I get home tonight.

I will be really embarassed if the running Programs turns out to be the problem all along.
    oo~~Nick Andriash~~
    Courtenay, B.C. Canada

Mobile Evangelist

Default Re: Memory Loss still a HUGE Problem !!

It has been reported here and elsewhere that the IPAQ 210 drains the battery over time once a CF card is in the slot.
    Nokia N810
    Kingston 8GB MicroSD C4
    Palm T|X (Retired 2009)
    Sandisk 2GB Ultra II SD Card
    Sandisk 512MB SD Card (Retired)
    Zire 72s (Retired 2007.08.30)
    Palmone WIFI Card (died)

Mobile Enthusiast

Well, I took a look at my 210 this evening and it is now down to 32% from 38% this morning, and that is with all running programs closed and the Unit turned off. I have the CF Card in sleep mode, and still I am seeing this kind of battery loss. This is the very first device I've owned that behaves this way, and it really is totally unacceptable.

I will post on the HP Forums, and unless HP comes through with a resolve for this problem, this will be the last iPAQ I will ever buy. They knew about this problem before they made the devices available to the public...they had to know, and they still allowed it.
    oo~~Nick Andriash~~
    Courtenay, B.C. Canada

Mobile Evangelist

I performed a hard reset on my iPAQ to carry out a few experiments.
    With nothing installed, and both an SDHC and CF card plugged in, my 214 loses about 16% of its charge in 12 hours. So, if I leave it to one side, the battery will be flat within 3 days.
    This is a serious flaw. I only use CF cards for the occasional transfer but wouldn't want to be without one.
    I've taken the CF card out and will see what happens now. I'm convinced that the power drain continues after the card has been removed; it seems that a charge doesn't last as long, but I might be imagining this.

Mobile Enthusiast

My CF-card has less battery drain with energy saving option for CF-cards switched off (nearly 0%) than with this option on (1% per hour). Give it a try!

Mobile Evangelist

The problem with the IPAQ and the CF cards has already been checked, tested and verified.

The brighthand discussion is here.
    iPAQ 210 Power bug, does NOT enter sleep mode correctly

I think we are at the stage of determining whether the problem varies depending on the brand of card you have. But there is no denying that there is a problem.
    Nokia N810
    Kingston 8GB MicroSD C4
    Palm T|X (Retired 2009)
    Sandisk 2GB Ultra II SD Card
    Sandisk 512MB SD Card (Retired)
    Zire 72s (Retired 2007.08.30)
    Palmone WIFI Card (died)

Mobile Consultant

Not wishing to pour petrol on the fire here, but the CF interface is also 4x slower than the SD interface. It's real slow. All in all the CF slot is a bit of a botch IMHO.

Top tip - do not put your map files or videos onto the CF card. I use Memory Map and when I had the map files on the CF card it was just painful. I had to buy a large SD card and move them onto that.

Music is okay on CF though, although tasks such as media library building is slow.

I have seen this reported many times. However I have also seen that not all CF cards cause this drain.

Mine for example is a Sandisk 4gb CF Ultra II. 0% drain.
    Also I believe the wording on the Sleep mode power function is a bit dodgy...
    "Set CF Card Power in sleep mode"
    on
    off

The way I read it is that if this is set to "off" then you are setting the CF Card power to Off while in sleep mode...that would result in less to no battery drain, while setting it to "on" would mean that in sleep mode there was power being supplied to the card.

I have seen many people report this setting as an " energy saving option " that you turn on or off...which seems to be causing quite a bit of confusion...The way I've been seeing people describe this time and again makes it sound like if you set this setting to "on" you are turning on Power saving...when in fact I have to insist that the opposite is true...

iPAQ 210 Owner

Quote Originally Posted by fexfx View Post
    I have seen many people report this setting as an " energy saving option " that you turn on or off...which seems to be causing quite a bit of confusion...The way I've been seeing people describe this time and again makes it sound like if you set this setting to "on" you are turning on Power saving...when in fact I have to insist that the opposite is true...
    I hadn't thought about the fact that it could be read both ways. I've had mine set to "off" because that's how I understood it, too. However, to be sure, I tested mine.

With it "on" and my Adata 266X Turbo 4GB CF card inserted, I had a power drain of 8% over 8 hours (1% an hour). With it "off" and the card inserted, I had a power drain of 6% over 10 hours (0.6% an hour).

Both times, I left it alone and had no programs running.

With the CF card out, I don't have any power drain on my 210.

Angry Re: Memory Loss still a HUGE Problem !!

Quote Originally Posted by neillm View Post
    Not wishing to pour petrol on the fire here, but the CF interface is also 4x slower than the SD interface. It's real slow. All in all the CF slot is a bit of a botch IMHO.

Top tip - do not put your map files or videos onto the CF card. I use Memory Map and when I had the map files on the CF card it was just painful. I had to buy a large SD card and move them onto that.

Music is okay on CF though, although tasks such as media library building is slow.
    I second that. I performed a benchmark test with sktools the write speed was only 344kb/s.
    And I am using a Transend 8 GB 133X CF Card.

Sad!