iPAQ 210 Power bug, does NOT enter sleep mode correctly

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mobile Deity

Default iPAQ 210 Power bug, does NOT enter sleep mode correctly

I believe that there is a bug in the Power off mode that does not allow the iPAQ 210 to correctly and fully shut down when we press the power off button. This can result in the apparent loss of power overnight due to having a CF card inserted. Here is a screen shot of my iPAQ 210 with both a Ridata 32 GB CF card and a Patriot 16 GB SDHC card inserted. As can be seen here both of these card can be inserted in the IPAQ 210 and not cause a power drain for more than six hours. This strongly suggest to me that it is NOT the HARDWARE (The Ridata 32 GB CF Card) that is causing the power drain.

One more item. I have been playing with an old HawKing Compact Flash 10/100 Fast Ethernet card. The iPAQ can be shut off, (with power to CF set to off) and the card is still active. To me this strongly again suggest that the iPAQ is simply failing to shut down power to the CF slot.

Default Re: iPAQ 210 Power bug, does NOT enter sleep mode correctly

my CF card ate 8% overnight, now 16GB SDHC A-DATA = 0%

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by David Hettel View Post
    I believe that there is a bug in the Power off mode that does not allow the iPAQ 210 to correctly and fully shut down when we press the power off button. This can result in the apparent loss of power overnight due to having a CF card inserted.
    I've taken my CF Card completely out and replaced it with the blank provided by HP, and I STILL lose anywhere from 2% to 6% over night. This is totally unacceptable and as a result have gone back to using my trust Palm TX. With the Palm TX, I can use it periodically throughout the day and still maintain my 100%.
    oo~~Nick Andriash~~
    Courtenay, B.C. Canada

Village Idiot 2.0

I assume that the iPAQ will always shut off all power to the CF slot when there's nothing inserted?

I have found only one application that addresses this: Spb Pocket PC Tips & Tricks, specifically Tweak 40: Warn when inserting a (CF) card.

It not only conserves battery power when CF cards are inserted, but may also correct your power-off issue as well. I actually use it primarily to prevent the infamous "Unknown Card" error from occurring.

Unfortunately this is commercial shareware, with a limited-time free trial. If anybody discovers something better, please share!
    Mobile widgets modded iPAQ h2210B modded Axim X51v P3050 Touch/Vogue (TELUS) Satellite A210-MS9 ~39GB flash storage ULT31803 & SUN-300A flash readers Go Wi-Fi! P500 802.11b/g CFIO CFU2 USB1.1 Host CFIO DSCF-100 RS-232 CFIO BT-359 SiRF-III GPS ER-6 Earphones TI-83+ iPAQ hx2750 iPAQ hx4705 Axim X50v Palm TX Inspiron 8000 KDA (-built)
    The optimist sees the glass is half full; the pessimist sees the glass is half empty; the engineer sees the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.[/Konrad]

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad Pierce View Post
    I assume that the iPAQ will always shut off all power to the CF slot when there's nothing inserted?
    When nothing is inserted it would seem it is irrelevant, nothing has the potential to consume power then.

Village Idiot 2.0

I would normally be inclined to agree, DH. But we are talking about what appears to be one of HP's finer examples of rush-job engineering ...

Um, what I was trying to imply (with a poor choice of wording) was that if there is an embedded hardware fault that causes this then it would not be possible to correct this problem without servicing the hardware. Or firmware. Or something deep in the core of the OS/drivers.

It seems by many accounts that the SD/SDHC capabilities of this device are fantastic, but the CF capabilities are some kind of throwback or clumsy afterthought.

I would hope that a simple software fix would be adequate to resolve this issue. Preferably a patch or WM update from HP. I'd like to know if the Spb product actually has any impact; I have no 210 (yet) myself.
    Mobile widgets modded iPAQ h2210B modded Axim X51v P3050 Touch/Vogue (TELUS) Satellite A210-MS9 ~39GB flash storage ULT31803 & SUN-300A flash readers Go Wi-Fi! P500 802.11b/g CFIO CFU2 USB1.1 Host CFIO DSCF-100 RS-232 CFIO BT-359 SiRF-III GPS ER-6 Earphones TI-83+ iPAQ hx2750 iPAQ hx4705 Axim X50v Palm TX Inspiron 8000 KDA (-built)
    The optimist sees the glass is half full; the pessimist sees the glass is half empty; the engineer sees the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.[/Konrad]

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad Pierce View Post
    I'd like to know if the Spb product actually has any impact; I have no 210 (yet) myself.
    I have access to this program. I installed it. By default the "warn" option is disabled. AS I recall this is for an older OS. It is I believe suppose to pop up a bubble telling you that you are on battery power and have inserted a CF device.

I enable it, and then soft reset the 210.

I then inserted a CF card, and got no bubble, as I expected. I inserted a CF modem, and again did not get a warning bubble or notice. I did get prompted to setup a modem connection suggesting that it did not power down the CF slot.

I am sorry Konrad but I do not understand how you expect/hope this may make a difference. If you can be explicit as to what you wish me to do I will attempt to test for you.

I have Resco Today Plugin loaded and this monitors the CF and SD slots, it is in effect polling the slots, I suspect that if I am correct and the iPAQ is not correctly put into sleep that users noticing a power drain may have some program such as this loaded that is checking the CF and SD slots every so often.

Village Idiot 2.0

Thanx for trying, DH.

I'd hoped that this app would offer a solution to your problem, as it seems to be related to CF power consumption. It would appear it makes no difference. I have found that it resolves other CF-related difficulties on other devices.

I also use the Resco Today plug, and I don't think it's a factor. As I understand it, the "used/free" information is gathered from WM's own enumeration of these slots; it may not always be accurate, but it should be refreshed each time a card is mounted, unmounted, or has a change in contents. As it only reads information from WM (not from the cards themselves), I doubt it can be directly related to problems caused by power consumption within the CF slot.

Then again, Resco may have implemented things differently from what I expect. Or there could be any number of other oddities. So I could be wrong.

I have a CF GPS card which is usually inserted in the 214. Even with the power off (sleep mode) the GPS is live. The GPS LED flashes if there is a fix or is or stays on if there is no fix. Dell had a similar problem with the X51v CF slot which they cured in a ROM update. Needless to say the battery drains because of this poor design.

Mobile Deity

Quote Originally Posted by sjlwr View Post
    I have a CF GPS card which is usually inserted in the 214. Even with the power off (sleep mode) the GPS is live. The GPS LED flashes if there is a fix or is or stays on if there is no fix. Dell had a similar problem with the X51v CF slot which they cured in a ROM update. Needless to say the battery drains because of this poor design.
    Sadly Dell unlike HP was willing to keep working at fixing problems until they got it right. Historically HP is unwilling to do this IMHO. My experience has been if you are lucky HP **may** release one ROM update and a few patches. Generally HP does not acknowledge software problems, nor do they fix them, it is silence we can expect.