Temporary workaround for low volume alarms

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Temporary workaround for low volume alarms

As many have noted, the iPAQ 210 has a rather low output through the speakers, even if the volume is set at max. Hopefully, there will be a software fix soon. However, to help alleviate the problem of not being able to hear my alarms, I gathered a few sound clips and amplified them a few times, just before their crackling point. I have uploaded a ZIP file of a handful of sounds in WAV and WMA format. The WMA are much smaller in filesize; however, I found that the WAVs were playing more loudly.

To install, simply copy the sound clip to your /Windows directory on your WM device. Then go to Settings-->Sounds & Notifications and choose the Notifications tab at the bottom. In the Event box, you'll probably see "ActivSync: Begin sync." Tap on the triangle to the right of the box and choose Reminders. You will then see a list of sound clips that have been located in the Windows directory and can be selected as the clip to play for the reminder. Note: If you have Sounds & Notifications open while adding sound clips to the /Windows folder, then you'll need to close out of Sounds & Notifications and reopen, so that it will rescan the /Windows folder for new clips.

If you have a favorite sound, you can experiment with loading it into a sound editor program and amplifying the sound. Obviously, it doesn't solve the problem entirely, but perhaps it will help dealing with it.

You should find the zip file here (1.7megs):

http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php...ied_Alarms.zip

There are 7 sound clips, each with their WAV and WMA versions: cuckoo clock, harp, sliding whistle, chorus singing "Hallelujah", car driving by, James Brown singing "I feel good", and "No Soup for You" from Seinfeld.
    Last edited by JayP; 02-21-2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Adding description of sound files

Mobile Enthusiast

Default Re: Temporary workaround for low volume alarms

JayP is a genius!!! Using his advice I took the Alarm 5.wav file from the windows directory and re-recorded it as a wav file at a higher volume. I also looped it a few times to make the alarm sound longer. I renamed it Loud Alarm.wav and have attached it here for anyone who wants to use it. You could convert any sound file but I liked the alarm 5 file. I found that I had to convert it to a .wav file in order for it to work in the "Clocks and Alarms" section as well as the "reminder notification" section. Just drop the new file in the windows directory and your on your way. Hopefully there will be a permanent fix to the audio problem, but in the mean time using this method should adequately satisfy those who want to abandon or avoid the 210 because of low alarm volumes. I know I was quite annoyed but now I am as happy as the proverbial " pig ....". This solution along with using TCPMP preamp for my mp3s and videos has solved almost all my audio concerns.

CR... sorry I tried to upload the file as a .zip but brighthand said it was to big... any suggestions as to how I can post it?

Mobile Enthusiast

Dead Palm TX owner here starting to believe in the 210. I haven't read or heard this anywhere else. Does the 210 include a vibrate feature somewhere in its $450 MSRP?

Also, don't know what I'll do without Bonsai (probably wait till it finally shows up on the dark side)
    Stuart
    -------------------------------------------
    BTW, do you know that you know that you know? (1 John 5:13)

Tungsten T3, TX

Mobile Enthusiast

Stuart... the 210 does not have a vibrate feature... as for the audio problem, if you read through many of threads in this forum you will get a better understanding of all the complaints about audio. As for the $450 price, the 210 can be had for almost $100 cheaper ($350 Canadian) if you are willing to buy it online through a Canadian distributor (try cendirect.com)

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LifelessDrive View Post
    CR... sorry I tried to upload the file as a .zip but brighthand said it was to big... any suggestions as to how I can post it?
    How about just uploading it to fileshack.us as did JayP

Mobile Enthusiast

LifelessDrive,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sad to hear about the lack of vibrating alert. What about meetings, etc.? Come to think about it, I guess my TX didn't vibrate either.

Anyway, I saw that the Canadians are selling the 210 cheaper. I was worried about who my warranty would be through though? I am definitely going to purchase some kind of extended warranty when and if I purchase this device.
    Stuart
    -------------------------------------------
    BTW, do you know that you know that you know? (1 John 5:13)

Tungsten T3, TX

Mobile Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by stallen View Post
    How about just uploading it to fileshack.us as did JayP
    Stallen,

I gave it a try... I hope it works... here is the link.

CR

http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php...Loud+Alarm.zip

Mobile Enthusiast

This is the sound I've been using. I think is pretty loud. Anyone care to make it even louder
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Current iPAQ 214 16GB SDHC+16GB CF

Former HX2790 WM5 8GB CF+2GB SD; HX4700 PPCTech 128 MB WM6; 5150 2GB CF & 256 SD

Mobile Enthusiast

That's great thanks LD for uploading that. It's about twice as loud as the original file.

Thanks to JP as well.

Thumbs up Re: Temporary workaround for low volume alarms

I'm glad that this is helping others' experience as well my own. My alarms are now certainly as loud as I want them, possibly too loud.